Mayor Pete
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:39:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Mayor Pete
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
Author Topic: Mayor Pete  (Read 61294 times)
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: September 30, 2018, 08:48:47 AM »

Hope Buttigieg chooses Stacey Abrams as his VP pick...
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #251 on: September 30, 2018, 09:10:45 AM »

Josh

"You see," Josh Hawley looked in the eyes of the townhall Iowa citizen who asked him why he was the best candidate in the field, "I present a fresh face with fresh ideas. Vice President Pence and the rest, they all tried already. Their ideas didn't really work. They didn't really bring in the conservative agenda we sorely need. I am the only Republican to win against a Democratic incumbent Senator in 2018, I know how to win. With me, we'll win, and then we'll usher in the change I already started fighting for in Washington. I want to bring back Christian values. I want to advance free but fair trade that will protect our farmers while preventing other nations from ripping us off. I'll preserve the wonderful reforms and changes made by our President, and make a lot of my own changes. With me, we'll finally have a truly conservative Washington committed to the people!"

The people in the room clapped and cheered politely. "Well," Josh said and smiled as he stood up. "That's all the time you've got. Thank you all for coming, and I hope I'll see you caucusing for me in two weeks!"

With that, he left the townhall and headed to his campaign's truck, which was going to drive him to another. For the past weeks, he had been investing all his resources in Iowa, campaigning there like crazy and hoping that canvassing the state will do for him what it did for Rick Santorum in 2012. He also did well in the debates, and Matt Bevin's collapse helped him get a new pool of potential supporters. So he put himself to the right of Pence, hoping that a fresh face advancing many of the ideas Iowans love about Pence such as Christian values would be more appealing. So far, the polls showed that he was successful, at least in a way- he was gaining steam in the state, even if he still wasn't close to surpassing Pence. Other candidates like Kelly, Paul, Haley and even Cotton mostly gave up on Iowa, investing in other states, which gave Josh hope that he could somehow emerge as the favourite. Paul was all over New Hampshire and Nevada, while Kelly, Haley and Cotton were all fighting over South Carolina, where all three thought they had the best chance to win.

In two weeks' time, Josh knew, would come the decisive day for his campaign- if he could win, or at least get close in Iowa, he'd remain a major contender. If not, he'd have to drop out. The Missouri Senator hoped that he could pull it off.

Republican Primary Polling- National
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 22%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 21%
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 13%
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 9%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 8%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 6%
Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO)- 6%
Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE)- 3%
Senator Matt Bevin (R-KY)- 3%
Fmr. Administrator Scott Pruitt (R-OK)- 2%
Fmr. Senator Jeff Flake- 1%
Secretary Rick Perry (R-TX)- 0%
Other\Undecided- 6%

Republican Primary Polling- Iowa Caucuses
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 30%
Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO)- 18%
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 12%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 8%
Senator Matt Bevin (R-KY)- 8%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 7%
Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE)- 4%
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 2%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 2%
Fmr. Senator Jeff Flake- 0%
Other\Undecided- 7%

Republican Primary Polling- New Hampshire Primary
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 23%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 20%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 19%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 15%
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 8%
Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO)- 3%
Fmr. Senator Jeff Flake- 2%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 2%
Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE)- 1%
Senator Matt Bevin (R-KY)- 1%
Fmr. Administrator Scott Pruitt (R-OK)- 0%
Other\Undecided- 6%

Republican Primary Polling- South Carolina Primary
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 26%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 23%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 15%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 10%
Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO)- 6%
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 5%
Senator Matt Bevin (R-KY)- 3%
Secretary Rick Perry (R-TX)- 1%
Fmr. Administrator Scott Pruitt (R-OK)- 1%
Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE)- 1%
Other\Undecided- 7%

Republican Primary Polling- Nevada Caucuses
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 25%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 18%
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 14%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 12%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 11%
Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO)- 5%
Senator Matt Bevin (R-KY)- 1%
Fmr. Administrator Scott Pruitt (R-OK)- 0%
Other\Undecided- 8%
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #252 on: September 30, 2018, 04:26:23 PM »

Polis doesn't endorse Mayor Pete?!?!?!?!
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2018, 05:52:00 PM »

Over his predecessor as governor? I don't think he would.
The first openly gay male governor not endorsing who could be the first openly gay President...doesn't make a lot of sense.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2018, 06:08:08 PM »

Over his predecessor as governor? I don't think he would.
The first openly gay male governor not endorsing who could be the first openly gay President...doesn't make a lot of sense.

Polis is gay, but it doesn't mean it's his only identity, and we don't even know how high he puts it on his list of identities. Sure, I think Pete would be his 2nd choice, but political precedent shows politicians usually overwhelmingly endorse their homestate candidates.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: October 01, 2018, 08:24:42 AM »

Donald

Pundits kept speculating who President Trump was favouring in the Republican primary race. His Vice President who always stayed loyal, Mike Pence? Maybe his former Chief of Staff Kelly, who was running as a strongman and supported by many far-right figures? Rand Paul, the paleoconservative who kept praising him? Or maybe one of the numerous pro-Trump conservatives running, such as Senators Cotton, Hawley and Bevin?

The truth was, Trump didn't particularly care. After eight bruising years, that had few victories- including his two huge electoral victories- but also many bitter moments like the midterm elections, he just couldn't get himself to care. The next Republican nominee would lose for sure, because he wasn't TRUMP. Who it was didn't matter to him, as long as he showered as much praise as possible on the President. Of course, the Donald didn't want Haley or Hogan or Sasse or Flake, but the rest were all fine with him, though if he had to make a choice, it wouldn't be Kelly, who he felt tried to overshadow him. Mike fit best, then, he guessed, though maybe Hawley would be more electable. He didn't know, and he didn't really care. As long as the people loved Trump...

Nontheless, the White House was abuzz. The Iowa caucuses were in a few days, and it could be felt everywhere- the Vice President's staff were tense, as were the Secretary of Defence's staff, though Kelly was focusing on South Carolina. Mike kept hinting that maybe Donald should endorse him to seal the deal and let Republicans unite, but the Donald didn't want to. What if Mike would flop? No, he couldn't stand someone he supports losing the primary. He needed to be sure first. His brand was the most important issue. But for now, he'd watch the Iowa Caucuses unfold and enjoy everyone fighting for his endorsement.

Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 20%
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 14%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 9%
Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO)- 7%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 5%
Senator Matt Bevin (R-KY)- 2%
Other\Undecided- 6%

Republican Primary Polling- Iowa Caucuses
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 31%
Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO)- 21%
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 13%
Senator Matt Bevin (R-KY)- 8%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 6%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 6%
Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE)- 4%
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 2%
Other\Undecided- 5%

Democratic Primary Polling- National
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 26%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 14%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 13%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 13%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 11%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 6%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 6%
Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ)- 2%
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)- 2%
Governor Lincoln Chafee (D-RI)- 0%
Other\Undecided- 7%

Democratic Primary Polling- Iowa Caucuses
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 31%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 30%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 14%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 11%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 3%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 2%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 2%
Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ)- 2%
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)- 1%
Other\Undecided- 4%
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: October 01, 2018, 12:44:54 PM »

Pete

MAYOR PETE! MAYOR PETE! MAYOR PETE! MAYOR PETE! The crowd in the Buttigieg Campaign's Iowa HQs was going wild. They were absolutely ecstatic as they cheered for him.

"Thank you!" Pete grinned at them as he approached the podium. "Thank you, thank you! I'm so happy to be standing here in this historic day. Today, we officially took the first step on our way to victory in November!"

The cheering and hooting interrupted him again. "Today," he shouted again, "the great voters of Iowa showed America that they want CHANGE! They want hope! They want a proven leader and reformer with fresh ideas!" More cheering. "I want to thank everyone who helped me get to this point. First and foremost, my wonderful partner for life and husband, Chasten!" To the sound of more cheering, Pete and his husband hugged on-stage before the Governor of Indiana continued. "I also want to thank the hundreds of dedicated volunteers, donors and supporters who buoyed this campaign, and the thousands who caucused for us today! Thank you all! We'd not be standing here today with such happiness if not for every single one of you! I also want to thank my rivals in this primary, each and every one of them a wonderful public servant, for their hard-fought campaigns. Now, I don't want to make this long. We all want to get back to celebrating, and then rest a bit after all the hard work we've all done. But know that this is just the beginning of our journey! This great victory here gave us the energy we need to go on, and we won't be stopping anytime soon! So next step- New Hampshire! Let's go!" Basking in the cheering, Pete descended from the stage. Governor Cathy Glasson would be speaking to their supporters next, raising the spirits in the party even more.

Around them, large TV screens were showing the CNN report about that election night. At that moment, they were showing pictures from Pete's victory party, as well as that of Vice President Mike Pence, who won the Republican caucuses by a wide margin. The pundits were already dubbing that night 'the Republican Iowa bloodbath'- the GOP's primary field narrowed considerably after that day, with many of them having put their stock in that state. So Josh Hawley, who came a disappointing third, dropped out first, followed by Rick Perry. Ben Sasse and Matt Bevin were both pretty much guaranteed to end their own campaigns in the morning. This left Mike Pence with a strong status of frontrunner, and much fewer opponents.

On the Democratic side, things were not so simple. The only one who dropped out was Cory Booker, whose campaign was doomed a long time ago- the rest all got performances strong enough to continue, or were focusing on other states. It was an alarming sign to Pete- fears of a 2020 repeat were like a shadow over them all, and the polls showed that the possibility of four different candidates winning the early states was real. Pete won Iowa, New Hampshire was becoming a battle between Newsom and Sinema, who was canvassing the state and trying to rely on her image as a maverick progressive, Nevada was strong for Cordray with his union support, and South Carolina seemed like it could go to anyone from Newom, who was starting to focus on it increasingly instead of only New Hampshire, Northam, Cordray and Pete himself, maybe even Whitmer. But for now the Governor tried not to worry- it was a time for celebration.

Democratic Iowa Caucuses- 99% Reporting
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 32.7% ✓
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 27.5%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 14.2%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 13.4%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 4.0%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 2.6%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 2.2%
Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ)- 1.6%
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)- 1.3%
Governor Lincoln Chafee (D-RI)- 0.4%
Others- 0.1%

Republican Iowa Caucuses- 99% Reporting
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 37.6% ✓
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 15.2%
Senator Josh Hawley (R-MO)- 14.1%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 7.4%
Senator Matt Bevin (R-KY)- 7.1%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 6.3%
Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE)- 3.8%
Fmr. Administrator Scott Pruitt (R-OK)- 3.2%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 2.0%
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 1.5%
Secretary Rick Perry (R-TX)- 1.0%
Fmr. Senator Jeff Flake- 0.6%
Other\Undecided- 0.2%
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #257 on: October 01, 2018, 01:17:27 PM »

We all knew this was coming! Cheesy
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #258 on: October 01, 2018, 01:21:30 PM »

It would be weird if both Presidential nominees are from Indiana.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #259 on: October 01, 2018, 02:42:20 PM »

Pete/Ralph 2024 tbh
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #260 on: October 05, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »

Kyrsten

"Thank you so much, New Hampshire! Thank you, I hope you'll vote for me this Tuesday!" Kyrsten Sinema waved to the cheering crowd with a grin, and left the stage, ending one of her last rallies before the fateful Granite State primary.

She barely had time to shake hands and talk to her advisors, as the truck was already waiting to take her and the rest of the staff to the next stop, a Townhall in the countryside. The past few weeks were a busy and exhausting trip, but for good or bad, at least the Arizona Senator knew it'd be over soon. At least that part of the journey.

New Hampshire was definitely the most important contest for her from the early ones- she never had hope of winning Iowa and South Carolina, and Nevada is too tight in Cordray's grip. So she had to use her maverick appeal in the Granite State and hope it'd sway its citizens, as well as present herself as the female candidate, especially with Whitmer weak in the state and concentrating on South Carolina. If she failed to at least come second, Kyrsten knew she would have to drop out, but a victory wasn't necessary- she had time to get the momentum needed for victory, and there were still Nevada and other Super Tuesday states she thought she could have a chance in.

"How's the situation in the recent polls?" Kyrsten quickly asked her campaign manager, who was walking beside her with a bunch of documents.

"Not much changed," he replied with an unsure voice. "It's still the same horserace between the three of us."

The Senator wasn't surprised. Since Iowa, the race in New Hampshire seemed to zero in- with Cordray declining, it became a close three-way race between Gavin Newsom, who had support from much of the state's establishment, Kyrsten Sinema and the Iowa winner who became a star, Pete Buttigieg. She wasn't sure at all what would happen- all three of them had a very plausible chance to win, and each result could change the race considerably. If Sinema won, she'd become one of the major frontrunners. If Pete won, he'd possibly pass Cordray and take the mantle of frontrunner. If Gavin won, he could elavate himself as the main alternative to Rich.

What would happen remained to be seen. What's for sure, the Democratic race was going to be heavily influence by that primary. In the Republican side, it was interesting as well- Vice President Pence hoped to win the state and seal his place as frontrunner, but Paul was giving him a strong race and Maryland's Larry Hogan was trying to become the first moderate since the 2000s to finally achieve that prize of New Hampshire as well, and the polls showed a close race between the three. There, too, the race would have huge impact on the trajectory of the field.

Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 28%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 17%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 12%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 12%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 10%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 7%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 5%
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)- 2%
Other\Undecided- 7%

Democratic Primary Polling- New Hampshire Primary
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 23%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 23%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 22%
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 11%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 6%
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)- 4%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 3%
Governor Lincoln Chafee (D-RI)- 2%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 2%
Other\Undecided- 4%

Democratic Primary Polling- Nevada Caucuses
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 36%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 15%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 15%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 13%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 7%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 4%
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)- 0%
Other\Undecided- 7%

Democratic Primary Polling- South Carolina Primary
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 24%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 20%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 18%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 16%
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 9%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 4%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 3%
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)- 1%
Other\Undecided- 5%

Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 27%
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 15%
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 11%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 10%
Fmr. Administrator Scott Pruitt (R-OK)- 3%
Other\Undecided- 6%

Republican Primary Polling- New Hampshire Primary
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 24%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 24%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 22%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 10%
Fmr. Senator Jeff Flake- 3%
Other\Undecided- 5%

Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 27%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 25%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 17%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 15%
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 6%
Other\Undecided- 6%

Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 27%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 23%
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 15%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 14%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 9%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 3%
Other\Undecided- 7%
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #261 on: October 05, 2018, 12:48:02 PM »

Larry

"This is marvelous. Finally." John Weaver said with a tear in his eyes, watching the TV screen where CNN was reporting on the New Hampshire election night. He was one of Larry's senior advisors, but wasn't given a role as large as he had in the campaigns of Jon Huntsman and John Kasich.

"Indeed." Larry grinned. "This should give us a strong push. Even if we don't win, we'll be major contenders."

"We will," John said with a tone Larry seldom heard from the veteran of losing campaigns. "We definitely will. Maybe even the Vice Presidential choice, or the decisive vote in a possible convention."

"You think a contested convention is possible?" The former Governor of Maryland asked, surprisd. "Four years after the Democrats had one, and with them looking far less likely to have one this year? This would be nuts."

"But possible," the moderate advisor argued. "Only Flake dropped out tonight. Pence looks like the frontrunner, but with you winning New Hampshire and him placing third here, his streak is over. Paul could win Nevada, and Haley will probably win South Carolina. I can definitely see this going south for Mike, and becoming a battle between three or even four candidates. Us included."

"You know, I'm not sure if it's an optimistic or pessimistic scenario," Hogan pointed out. "On the one side, I'll campaign as long as I have a chance and I'm sure I'm the only Republican who can win. But on the other hand, a contested convention will destroy any chance we have. Democrats seem like they could unite."

"Maybe." John Weaver looked at the TV screen again, where the Democratic results were being reported. "But they only got rid of small fry tonight- Gabbard and that joke, Chafee. Pete barely won this one too, but he'll share the momentum with Sinema. Nevada looks like Cordray's to lose, and I doubt Pete can win South Carolina. If any of them can win the black vote, it's Gavin, maybe Gretchen. Pete is not that sort of candidate. So they could yet face this problem."

"Governor Hogan," an aide peaked in. "Sorry to disturb you, but it's time to go and make your speech before the crowd and press."

Larry smiled. "With pleasure." It was time to face his adoring supporters and finally taste victory for GOP moderates.

Republican New Hampshire Primary- 99% Reporting
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 26.3% ✓
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 23.8%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 22.9%
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 9.6%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 9.3%
Fmr. Senator Jeff Flake- 2.5%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 2.3%
Fmr. Administrator Scott Pruitt (R-OK)- 2.1%
Others- 1.2%

Democratic New Hampshire Primary- 99% Reporting
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 24.3% ✓
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 23.2%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 20.8%
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 12.4%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 6.5%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 3.8%
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)- 3.6%
Governor Lincoln Chafee (D-RI)- 2.6%

Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 2.1%
Others- 0.7%
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #262 on: October 05, 2018, 01:05:49 PM »

YAAAAS HOGAN
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #263 on: October 05, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »

LARRY!

Ralph....!?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #264 on: October 06, 2018, 02:07:11 PM »

Linda

Linda Lawson, the Lieutenant Governor of Indiana, looked at the TV screen with a smile. Her boss was doing well, better and better every day, and it was a good sign for her future. In a conservative state like Indiana, a Democrat needed star power, good funding and record, and a favourable environment to win. Pete Buttigieg had those when he unseated former Governor Holcomb in 2020, and he had an established popularity that would let him easily win re-election in 2024.

But if Pete became the Democratic nominee for President... well, Linda was almost sure to be the Democratic nominee for Governor. On her own, she was pretty sure she had little chance to win- sure, she had a compelling record as a 24-year police veteran who served as the first female Captain in the demartment, and a long legislative record on issues like equality, that included service as Minority floor leader. But that wasn't enough to get her elected Governor- riding on the popularity of Governor Buttigieg, however, could just be what she needed to win.

Of course, Pete had to win the nomination first, but it was looking increasingly likely. The victory in Iowa propelled him to a strong position, but the narrow upset win in New Hampshire, drawing on a sudden drop in popularity for Gavin Newsom, was what torpedoed his campaign to the position of a tie with Cordray, virtually a frontrunner. At that moment, she was watching coverage of a Democratic debate in Las Vegas, and this made her even more confident- Pete was charismatic and convincing, while Rich looked tired and boring. Kyrsten was also doing well, overshadowing Whitmer as the stronger female candidate, while Newsom, Northam and Hickenlooper all tried different lines to save their floundering campaigns, but it didn't look very convincing.

The Republican side would affect Linda's chances too, she knew. Vice President Pence couldn't manage what Pete did and lost New Hampshire to moderate insurgent Larry Hogan, and with his weakness in Nevada and South Carolina, it looked like he was facing a long and uncertain primary session. Lieutanant Governor Lawson hoped he'd lose the nomination to someone like Kelly or Paul- these two would lost just as hard, if not harder, to Pete, but they'd have much less popularity than Pence in Indiana, which would definitely help Pete do better in the state and, by extension, help her be elected Governor. With whispers of Holcomb mounting a comeback and Greg Pence contemplating his own campaign, it was definitely going to be a hardfought battle, but Linda was more than ready. She'd go after Pete's footsteps and bring order to Indianopolis.

Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 24%
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 25%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 15%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 10%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 8%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 6%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 6%
Other\Undecided- 6%

Democratic Primary Polling- Nevada Caucuses
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 35%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 19%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 18%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 12%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 5%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 3%
Other\Undecided- 5%

Democratic Primary Polling- South Carolina Primary
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 23%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 21%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 20%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 15%
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 7%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 6%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 4%
Other\Undecided- 4%

Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 25%
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 17%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 14%
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 8%
Other\Undecided- 6%

Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 26%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 24%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 17%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 16%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 5%
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 4%
Other\Undecided- 5%

Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 28%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 19%
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 12%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 7%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 5%
Other\Undecided- 6%
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: October 11, 2018, 02:22:28 PM »

Richard

Rich Cordray breathed out in relief. His campaign was saved.

Losing the Nevada Caucuses would've been a blow that killed any chance for victory, but now that he managed a win, he was back in the game. With Governor Buttigiege's win streak ended and disappointingly coming third in Nevada, Richard could re-establish himself as a powerful contender and use his progressive credentials to create excitement around him again.

Of course, it wasn't going to be easy- Pete was still powerful, and, despite not winning any state, Sinema was gaining steam as the moderate alternative to the two frontrunners. Additionally, Newsom was still in the game, and with endorsements from several key figures, seemed to be gaining strength with black voters. Whitmer and Northam were also still in the race, though their prospects were dimming every day. The only one who finally withdrew was Senator Hickenlooper, who didn't manage to make much of a splash in Iowa or Nevada, and only really had hopes to win Colorado and a limited number of Western states. John's decision to withdraw in order to help preventing a contested convention was noble, for sure, although Rich feared it would help Pete, as he was likely to do well in Colorado later on.

In any case, Rich thought as he watched the large TV screens in the backstage of his Las Vegas campaign HQs, now was the night to celebrate, not to worry. His margin of victory in Nevada was a bit disappointing, but it was satisfactory, and he now had the energy to keep going with full strength. South Carolina wasn't going to be consequential for the Ohio Governor, so he prepared to swoop into Super Tuesday and prepare to do well in states ranging from Arkansas and Tennessee to Minnesota and Vermont.

The only dark spot was that the results on the Republican South Carolina primary were much more shocking than those in the Democratic side, meaning more media coverage for them and less for Richard's victory. Oh well, he thought, he'd make do. The race will go on now.

Democratic Nevada Caucuses- 99% Reporting
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 33.7% ✓
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 20.3%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 18.8%
Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO)- 10.9%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 6.4%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 3.8%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 3.2%
Others- 2.9%
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #266 on: October 11, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »

Nikki

It was an absolute disaster.

When she announced her Presidential campaign, former Governor Nikki Haley never thought that this would be how it ended- sitting in her home in the morning, watching the media report a humiliating loss in her homestate and holding a paper with the title "FALLING STAR" above her picture.

It wasn't surprising- many in South Carolina, and America as a whole, put great hopes on her. She was dynamic, charismatic, a minority woman, strongly conservative but quite sane. On papeer, everything the party and its leadership would like. But despite all the financial help, her campaign could never really get off the ground, and as Larry Hogan, another relative moderate who came out against Trump like she subtly did, gained steam with that faction of the GOP, she started slipping and bleeding support. She at least hoped to win her home state in order to gain herself the much-needed media oxygen and give her campaign the necessary energy, but even that didn't materialize- she was last Governor six years earlier, and with Hogan having just won New Hampshire, he had the winds against his back and won the votes of the moderates. It pretty much boxed Haley out, and she couldn't even scrap the votes to win her own home state.

Obviously, this was the end of her campaign. She already gaver her concession speech last night, and dropped out of the race. The only issue that remained was endorsements.

Nikki didn't really know who to throw her support behind- normally she'd support Pence, but he proved himself a puppet and was really a cold snob to her when she served on that dreadful administration. Kelly was obviously even more repugnant, and Paul was just... Paul, which was a non-starter. The former Ambassador guessed that she liked Hogan the most, but supporting him was foolish considering his odds of victory were slim, if any. Same went for Cotton, of course- he seemed to be waiting for the southern states like Nikki waited for South Carolina. So all in all, she did what seemed the smartest- refained from endorsing anyone and remained non-committed.

Back in 2022, after the French Presidential election, Nikki finalized her decision to run for President. Now was the end of that era of her life.

Republican South Carolina Primary Primary- 100% Reporting
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 25.9% ✓
Fmr. Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)- 22.3%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 17.1%
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 15.0%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 13.8%
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 3.5%
Fmr. Administrator Scott Pruitt (R-OK)- 2.4%
Others- 0.6%

NOTE: another new part in the previous page
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #267 on: October 11, 2018, 03:28:27 PM »

F
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #268 on: October 11, 2018, 04:32:56 PM »

Feeling bad for Nikki...
Eh...not that bad
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #269 on: October 12, 2018, 05:21:55 AM »

Rand

The former Senator from Kentucky was pretty sure he just did history.

Finally, after he and his father ran for President almost every election in the past 16 years, a Paul won a state. He showed the world today that his ideology of conservative liberty had sway in the American public, and enshrined his position as an important contender in the Republican Primary.

A year ago, no one gave him any chance. He was a has-been, a loser former Senator who lost his seat in conservative Kentucky to a liberal Democrat, Andy Beshear, in 2022 due to an arrogantly-run campaign. Now, he outran so-called stars like Haley and Cotton, and established himself as one of the four Republicans who each won one of the early states. Though Pence was still considered the frontrunner after his Iowa victory, by losing the other early states he made his position vulnerable again, and now each of the four remaining major contenders was prepared for the decisive moment of the campaign- Super Tuesday. Everyone knew that it was a fact- one or two of them would surely emerge as the frontrunners following these fateful contests, and Paul was determined to make sure he was one of them.

He stared at the computer screen before him. It was an early morning hour, after a sleepless night in which he awaited returns from the Nevada Caucuses and then celebrated his victory with a rousing speech to his supporters, but he couldn't go to sleep yet. He was too absorbed with the map before him, prepared by his aides, showing the Super Tuesday states they had the best chance to win. With many states in the south and some scattered in the rest of the country, the prospects were hard for Paul- he had some strength in states like Alabama and Arkansas, making them important targets, but also in states like Vermont and Massachusetts. But in the former two, Vice President Pence seemed stronger than him, while in the latter it was Governor Hogan. Wyoming and Alaska were strong for Paul, but he had to find another strong base, and it wasn't proving easy.

The state of California flashed before his eyes. A hard state for him, but maybe... maybe if he invested in it early... it wasn't friendly to Pence or Kelly, meaning he'd just need to somehow take Hogan down. A debate, perhaps, where he'd force Hogan to alienate California.

Paul kept thinking when an aide entered the room, interrupting him. "Mr. Paul, we have some news. They finally called South Carolina for Newsom."

Rand nodded. The Democratic primary in South Carolina was much tighter than Nevada was for Republicans- Gavin Newsom, who managed to gain support from many African Americans, was fighting a hard battle against the surging star of Pete Buttigieg, while Ralph Northam was a close third, making it hard to call anything throughout the night. Gavin winning was good for Republicans- he was more beatable than Pete, and prolonged the Democratic primary process rather than letting Pete become the undoubted frontrunner. Now, the Indiana Governor had Cordray, Newsom and maybe others to contend with.

Republican Nevada Caucuses- 100% Reporting
Fmr. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)- 29.7% ✓
Fmr. Gov. Larry Hogan (R-MD)- 26.5%
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)- 25.7%
Secretary John F. Kelly (R-MA)- 7.6%
Senator Tom Cotton (R-AR)- 5.1%
Fmr. Administrator Scott Pruitt (R-OK)- 2.0%
Others- 3.4%

Democratic South Carolina Primary Primary- 100% Reporting
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 23.8% ✓
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 23.4%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 22.6%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 14.6%
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 7.5%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 7.3%
Others- 0.8%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #270 on: October 12, 2018, 04:05:32 PM »

Will the Four more years TL be back soon
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: October 12, 2018, 04:35:06 PM »

Probably, after Mayor Pete is done. It'll be back someday for sure though, 2020 there is going to be good.
I do have another TL in mind though that I might start first, one with a multi-party system U.S., maybe similar to the French system.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2018, 03:46:06 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2018, 04:15:25 AM by Parrotguy »

Joe

The former Vice President made a decision.

Barack and Hillary and the rest could keep their neutrality all they liked. He wasn't going to follow these norms anymore- he wanted to actively contribute his voice in the Democratic primary, and that meant endorsing someone who he really believed in, someone he knew could win a landslide victory and then go on to become a popular change President. That someone was, of course, obvious ever since the pre-Iowa debates. Cordray was solid but boring, a progressive that excited progressive politicians more than the actual grassroots. Sinema was good too, but she was a Senator who mostly excelled in politiking rather than governing. Her flip-flopping on Schumer still left a bad taste in Joe's mouth. Gavin was a Clinton just waiting to happen, resembling Bill with his sexual history and Hillary with his establishment support. Then there were Whitmer and Northam, who were basically done in the primary and weren't that inspiring anyhow.

No, Mayor Pete was the one. He was charismatic, bright, successful. Joe almost thought he saw himself in the Governor of Indiana, though obviously much younger. So now, with Super Tuesday almost there and Pete neck-and-neck with Cordray, the former Vice President decided that he'd try to give him another push that would, hopefully, help him get closer to victory in that fateful day. The polls showed that Pete had a chance to do very well on tuesday, he just needed a push in a few states- he was leading in Colorado and Texas, and while Newsom was strong with black voters and easily leading in Alabama, Pete was a close second to him in Georgia. Meanwhile, Cordray was basically tied with the Indiana Governor in Minnesota, he was narrowly leading Newsom and Pete in Arkansas and Tennessee, and holding strong leads in Wyoming, Oklahoma and Vermont. Newsom was, of course, leading California, and Northam was ready to win Virginia. Massachusetts, meanwhile, seemed like a battle between Cordray, Buttigieg and Sinema. So Pete definitely needed a push.

Besides, Joe missed campaigning and holding rallies. He itched to get back on the trail and feel the crowd cheering and getting excited. Even in his old age, he felt energetic.

And so he was there, in Atlanta, and it was time to go on the stage. Governor Stacey Abrams was just finishing her speech. "So I'm gonna tell ya again, my friends- Pete's the one! He's the one who can lift us all up, lead us to a new, progressive age! He's the candidate of hope and change! But even if you disagree with me, and that's completely fine, I implore you- on this Tuesday, go and vote for your preferred candidate in either primary. Join our wonderful democratic process! And now, I need to go back to working hard for all of you, but don't you worry, you won't be getting bored any time soon. I have the greatest honour to introduce to you a man who we all love and respect, a statesman whose legacy left a deep mark on our nation... former Vice President Joe Biden!"

Joe quickly walked up to the stage, grinning and waving to the crowd, which was going wild. He exchange a polite hug and joke with Stacey, who was another one of his favourite politicians, and walked up to the podium. "Good morning Atlanta! Are you ready and fired up to support Mayor Pete This tuesday?! Because I know I sure am!"

Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)- 27%
Governor Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)- 26%
Senator Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ)- 14%
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)- 13%
Fmr. Gov. Ralph Northam (D-VA)- 7%
Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)- 7%
Other\Undecided- 6%

2024 Democratic Primary- ENDORSEMENT TRACKER (changes bolded)

Governor Richard Cordray
Senator Betty Sutton (D-OH)
Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH)
Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)
Senator Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
Fmr. Gov. Tom Vilsack (D-IA)
Fmr. Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA)
Senator Abby Finkenauer (D-IA)
Fmr. Sec. of State John Kerry (D-MA)
Senator Jacky Rosen (D-NV)
Governor Chris Giunchigliani (D-NV)
Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-WI)
Fmr. Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI)
Governor Gwen Graham (D-FL)
Governor Arne Duncan (D-IL)
Senator Cheri Bustos (D-IL)
Governor Janet Mills (D-ME)
Governor Phil Murphy (D-NJ)
Fmr. Mayor Bill de Blasio (D-NY)
Governor Kate Brown (D-OR)
Attorney General Keith Ellison (D-MN)
U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)
AFL-CIO
The entire Ohio Democratic U.S. House delegation

Governor Pete Buttigieg
Governor Jason Kander (D-MO)
Senator Joe Donnelly (D-IN)
Fmr. Sen. Evan Bayh (D-IN)
Fmr. Vice President Joe Biden (D-DE)
Fmr. Vice President Al Gore (D-TN)
Governor Cathy Glasson (D-IA)
Governor Stacey Abrams (D-GA
Governor Josh Svaty (D-KS)
Senator Andy Beshear (D-KY)
Senator Stephanie Murphy (D-FL)
Senator Amy Klobucher (D-MN)
Governor Ned Lamont (D-CT)
Fmr. Gov. Howard Dean (D-VT)
Governor Jared Polis (D-CO)
Senator Michael Bennett (D-CO)
Fmr. Gov. Martin O'Malley (D-MD)
Fmr. Gov. Jay Inslee (D-WA)
Senator Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV)
Governor Beto O'Rourke (D-TX)
Governor Tim Walz (D-MN)

LGBTQ Victory Fund
The entire Indiana Democratic U.S. House delegation

Governor Gavin Newsom
Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA)
Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
Fmr. Gov. Jerry Brown (D-CA)
Mayor Eric Garcetti (D-CA)
Hedge Fund Manager Tom Steyer (D-CA)
Senator Maggie Hassan (D-NH)
Fmr. Gov. John Lynch (D-NH)
Governor Stefany Shaheen (D-NH)
Governor Andrew Cuomo (D-NY)
Fmr. Sec. Julian Castro (D-TX)
Ms. Chelsea Clinton (D-NY)
Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR)
Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ)
Senator Frank Pallone (D-NJ)

Most of the California Democratic U.S. House delegation

Senator Kyrsten Sinema
Governor Greg Stanton (D-AZ)
Senator Ruben Gallego (D-AZ)
Govenror Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM)
Senator Martin Heinrich (D-NM)
Senator Tom Udall (D-NM)
Senator Jenny Durkan (D-WA)
EMILY's List (co-endorsement)
Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL)
U.S. Rep. Seth Moulton (D-MA)
Fmr. Sen. Mark Udall (D-CO)
U.S. Rep. Ben McAdams (D-UT)
Governor Lincoln Chafee (D-RI)

The entire Arizona Democratic U.S. House delegation

Governor Gretchen Whitmer
Senator Gary Peters (D-MI)
Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI)
Fmr. Gov. Jennifer Granholm (D-MI)
Senator Tina Smith (D-MN)
Governor Tom Perez (D-MD)
EMILY's List (co-endorsement)
Des Moines Register
The entire Michigan Democratic U.S. House delegation

Fmr. Governor Ralph Northam
Governor Justin Fairfax (D-VA)
Fmr. Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D-VA)
Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA)
Senator Mark Warner (D-VA)
Senator Jon Tester (D-MT)
Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV)
Senator Steve Bullock (D-MT)
Fmr. Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO)
The entire Virginia Democratic U.S. House delegation

Noteable figures who did not yet endorse
Fmr. President Barack Obama (D-IL)
Fmr. President Bill Clinton (D-AR)
Fmr. Sec. of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY)
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)
Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
Senator Joe Kennedy III (D-MA)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2018, 07:08:53 PM »

Can we have a Ralph perspective?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: October 17, 2018, 05:17:01 AM »

We had a few, but now that his campaign is becoming less relevant, we probably won't have another one... for now. When the time comes to choose the nominee's VP, maybe he'll become relevant again Wink
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies