HOUSE BILL: Federal Electoral Act of 2018 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:33:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HOUSE BILL: Federal Electoral Act of 2018 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: HOUSE BILL: Federal Electoral Act of 2018 (Passed)  (Read 2666 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »

If you change the election times in Section 15, you probably should change them in Sections 3 and 5 for consistency’s sake, too.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2018, 09:21:01 PM »

Citizen visiting the House

I still don't see the rationale in adding one minute to the voting hours. It has been exactly 72 hours. Just clarify midnight 0 seconds for the closing time if someone could exploit a loophole. No need to go to 72 hours 1 minute of voting time. 

Also Section 14, point number 6 raises the number of members in a party from 3 to 5. This change was hidden because there was not strike or bold in the first post.

It's dangerous to vote for something if the changes are not visible. There could be other changes hidden.   
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2018, 01:12:08 PM »

what I meant was this seemed nitpicky, not that I didn't support the legislation.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2018, 02:07:22 PM »

I plan on reading this through more closely later, but at first glance: there is no such thing as the "People's House." (I know why Yankee uses that name, but our Supreme Court is not fond of imprecision in electoral law, so I would recommend using the constitutional name for the lower house to avoid any trouble down the road.)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »

A citizen's comment on the concession clause.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How does the Secretary certify it. Could the Secretary refuse a concession?
Also I don't think someone could withdraw a concession. You concede or not. If you are not sure you wait and think about it.
Why not require the concession to be made in the Secreatary of elections office to be official so there is no confusion if someone makes a comment in a chat or in an unofficial results thread.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »

A citizen's comment when he saw changes from the current law that were not mentioned. 

There was a modification last Fall about the candidacy declaration deadline.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=272198.msg5915084#msg5915084

It made it 72 hours before a regular election, 24 hours before a special elections and to withdraw it's 72 hours before the election. 

This House law proposes 72 hours for regular election, 72 hours for special election and returns to 24 hours to withdraw.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »

In section 1.7 there is only one sentence. The second sentence about campaigning in the voting booth was removed.

This is the text of the 2016 law with the second sentence:

Why was it removed. Was it adopted in another law or in the constitution ? Or is it difficult to define camapigning and apply that part. 
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2018, 05:15:58 PM »

In section 1.7 there is only one sentence. The second sentence about campaigning in the voting booth was removed.

This is the text of the 2016 law with the second sentence:

Why was it removed. Was it adopted in another law or in the constitution ? Or is it difficult to define camapigning and apply that part. 
The Supreme Court essentially ruled that part of the law is unenforceable.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2018, 04:01:09 PM »

Alright, explanation time.

Section 4.2: spelling correction
Section 4.4: changing "Senators" to "elected officials" to ensure it applies to all federally-elected Atlasians

Section 5.2: by not allowing candidates who previously ran in the election a chance to run again, we are infringing upon their democratic rights (and the populace's rights, too, they might now want to vote for a former candidate)
Section 5.4: same reasoning as 5.2

Section 12.7: To make sure the concession is official
Section 12.8: To ensure the candidate intentionally made the concession (to prevent situations where the candidate was under duress, or if the candidate was drunk, etc.)

Section 15.1: see "Voting Clarification Amendment" for background, basically to make sure the exact poll closing time is known
Section 15.2: same reasoning as 15.1
Section 15.3: same reasoning as 15.1

After reading the amendment over and reading the feedback, I also offer the following:

Amendment offered - Section 5.2
Section 5: None of the Above
If the None of the Above option has won more votes than any candidate, then a new election shall be held under the following procedure:
1. The new election shall be held between midnight Eastern Standard Time on the first Thursday after the initial election and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday thereafter, and shall conclude exactly 72 hours after the beginning.
2. There shall be no "None of the Above" option in this new election.
3. The candidacy declaration deadline for the new election shall be the same as for special elections.
To prevent a "None of the Above" win from happening twice in a row.

Amendment offered - Section 12.7
Section 12: Concession of Victory
1. If a candidate shall concede their victory of a People’s House election after the certification of the election result, then the candidate with the next greatest number of highest preference votes in that election shall then be declared victor.
2. If both members of a Presidential ticket shall concede their victory in the Presidential election after the certification of the election result, then the members of the ticket with the next greatest number of highest preference votes in that election shall then be declared victors.
3. If a victor who has conceded shall wish to retract their concession, then they may only do so with the permission of the newly declared victor.
4. If an election shall produce a tie, then any candidate or ticket may decline to go forward to the runoff. If such actions shall leave only one candidate or ticket in the runoff, then that candidate or ticket shall be declared the victor.
5. If a tied candidate or ticket that has withdrawn shall wish to re-enter the runoff, then they may only do so with the permission of the other candidates or tickets in the tie.
6. Concessions made before the certification of election results, or on or after the date on which the newly elected official is due to be sworn in, are of no legal effect whatsoever.
7. For a concession to take effect, the Secretary of Federal Elections must certify the concession.
7. The candidate must post the concession in the "Department of Federal Elections" board for the concession to be official.
8. If the candidate believes the concession to be made in error, they may withdraw their concession for up to twenty-four (24) hours after their concession.

Citizen visiting the House

I still don't see the rationale in adding one minute to the voting hours. It has been exactly 72 hours. Just clarify midnight 0 seconds for the closing time if someone could exploit a loophole. No need to go to 72 hours 1 minute of voting time. 

Also Section 14, point number 6 raises the number of members in a party from 3 to 5. This change was hidden because there was not strike or bold in the first post.

It's dangerous to vote for something if the changes are not visible. There could be other changes hidden.   

I did not make that change intentionally. Likely, I (or someone before me) accidentally pressed the "5" key. No malicious intent, and I always bold changes I make.

Additionally, it is important to remember I was not the original sponsor of this bill, so I may have missed something that I am not responsible for.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2018, 08:01:22 PM »

I plan on reading this through more closely later, but at first glance: there is no such thing as the "People's House." (I know why Yankee uses that name, but our Supreme Court is not fond of imprecision in electoral law, so I would recommend using the constitutional name for the lower house to avoid any trouble down the road.)

Interesting, I just noticed that. I may offer an amendment to fix that now or just one large amendment later.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2018, 03:46:18 AM »

Everyone should use it, as a constant reminder of whose interest we serve.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2018, 03:48:24 AM »

what I meant was this seemed nitpicky, not that I didn't support the legislation.

Interesting, I just noticed that. I may offer an amendment to fix that now or just one large amendment later.

That was directed at Transit. Since he stated explanation was to come, I couldn't proceed with a vote on it until he posted such so people knew what they were voting on. Or if a friendly amendment, know what they are not objecting to.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2018, 03:50:06 AM »

Wxtransit do you want me to proceed with the current amendment as offered (with the acknowledged typo of 5 corrected to three), or would prefer to offer a revised draft first?
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2018, 09:27:20 AM »

I'll revise the draft when I get on lunch in a few hours. I'd rather not have a typo. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2018, 12:01:57 AM »

Well if you been waiting this long for a lunch break, I suggest getting an attorney specializing in labor law.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2018, 12:19:23 AM »

Well if you been waiting this long for a lunch break, I suggest getting an attorney specializing in labor law.

I need to strike! Tongue
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 12:23:25 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2018, 12:30:43 AM by Rep. wxtransit »

Amendment offered:

-Continued-
[/quote]
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 12:25:37 AM »

I need to strike! Tongue

The dark underside of the TX economic miracle exposed!!!   

#SolidDTX2028
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2018, 12:27:25 AM »

Also when offering amendments

Try to do one of the following -

"

"I offer the following amendment:

or:

Quote from: Restricted
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 12:30:15 AM »

Also when offering amendments

Try to do one of the following -

"

"I offer the following amendment:

or:

Something like this?
Wink

But, in all seriousness, I'll edit.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2018, 01:44:42 AM »

-Continued-
[/quote]
[/quote]

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2018, 07:23:42 PM »

no objection from me
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 11:45:20 PM »

Since the amendment's been adopted, and debate has winded down, I call for a final vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2018, 01:41:40 AM »

The amendment has indeed been adopted.

A final vote is now open on the underlying legislation, Representatives please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2018, 02:40:31 AM »

Aye
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies