Gay mormon accepts he's gay
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:54:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Gay mormon accepts he's gay
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay mormon accepts he's gay  (Read 1051 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2018, 01:56:23 PM »

https://attitude.co.uk/article/16957/ex-gay-mormon-announces-separation-from-his-wife-and-shares-heartfelt-apology-to-the-lgbt-community-1/

'In 2012, Josh and Laurel Weed went viral when they revealed on the 10th anniversary of their wedding that Josh was infact a gay man.

In a post made at the time, the Mormon activist told followers of his blog: “I am gay, I am Mormon, I am married to a woman. I am happy every single day. My life is filled with joy. I have wonderful sex life. All of these things are true whether your mind allows you to believe them or not.”

Despite their defiant attitude, earlier this week the couple took to social media once again, this time to announce that they are separating.'

Reading into this, I was absolutely dumbfounded that there's a terminology 'Mixed Orientation Marriages' that promotes this sort of arrangement. Dragging husbands, wives, children into...well a constructed fantasy.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 03:18:52 PM »

I've abandoned being a practicing Mormon because I'm gay and they didn't approve of it. That guy's life was clearly what the church wanted for me, after talking to them about it.

I have a moral issue with young people being told that homosexuality is something to "overcome" or whatever. So many young people commit suicide because the people around them say things implying that they're sinful or horribly defective if they're homosexual, and it makes you feel so shameful and like you have no chance of having a happy life.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 03:44:17 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2018, 03:57:09 PM by afleitch »

I've abandoned being a practicing Mormon because I'm gay and they didn't approve of it. That guy's life was clearly what the church wanted for me, after talking to them about it.

I have a moral issue with young people being told that homosexuality is something to "overcome" or whatever. So many young people commit suicide because the people around them say things implying that they're sinful or horribly defective if they're homosexual, and it makes you feel so shameful and like you have no chance of having a happy life.

I'm glad you're apart from that negativity. It's just...why bring in another person and have a family? How many lives have to be ruined/disrupted to cover up a theological flaw?

Though, and I read this elsewhere and have to think there's an element of truth in it, they did everything they were asked to do, advised to do and in the end, they proved it didn't work. Nothing disappeared, was replaced or went away. If you start as yourself and end as yourself, you know everything in between was artificial.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »

It must suck to be a gay man happily married to a woman and be constantly told by people who claim to support you that your marriage is a mistake and that you are allowed to have literally any other lifestyle choice but that.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »

It must suck to be a gay man happily married to a woman and be constantly told by people who claim to support you that your marriage is a mistake and that you are allowed to have literally any other lifestyle choice but that.
If a gay man is happily married to a woman, he's not gay.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »

He wasn't happily married. Did you even read the story?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 05:39:32 PM »

Yes, but you were using it generalizing it to a universal.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 06:22:50 PM »

Yes, but you were using it generalizing it to a universal.

No. Quite specifically about him.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 09:23:28 PM »

forcing you to be someone you're not never ends well. sexual orientation cannot be changed. the absurdity of it is evident if you think of a hypothetical straight man being pressured by his community and family to turn gay... doesn't make sense, right?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 10:49:07 PM »

I'm glad you're apart from that negativity. It's just...why bring in another person and have a family? How many lives have to be ruined/disrupted to cover up a theological flaw?

Though, and I read this elsewhere and have to think there's an element of truth in it, they did everything they were asked to do, advised to do and in the end, they proved it didn't work.

It didn't work for them.  That didn't prove that it didn't work, anymore than when an LGBT couple separate it proves that gay marriages don't work.

That said, a lot depends on why one engages in marriage. However, if one is part of a social group where sex is expected to be confined to within marriage, it certainly is going to be extremely tough to be happy in a marriage with someone you don't feel sexually attracted to. It didn't necessarily have to be the marriage they abandoned to resolve the tension.  They could have left Mormonism for some other societal support group that wouldn't have conflated marriage with sex.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 04:08:52 AM »

Though, and I read this elsewhere and have to think there's an element of truth in it, they did everything they were asked to do, advised to do and in the end, they proved it didn't work.

It didn't work for them.  That didn't prove that it didn't work, anymore than when an LGBT couple separate it proves that gay marriages don't work.

That said, a lot depends on why one engages in marriage. However, if one is part of a social group where sex is expected to be confined to within marriage, it certainly is going to be extremely tough to be happy in a marriage with someone you don't feel sexually attracted to. It didn't necessarily have to be the marriage they abandoned to resolve the tension.  They could have left Mormonism for some other societal support group that wouldn't have conflated marriage with sex.

The first part isn't analogous. A marriage due to religious and communal pressure involving two incompatable partners, of different sexualities undertaken to try and 'straighten' out one of them, failing isn't the same as a compatible marriage entered into simply failing.

Your second point, I don't know what you're trying to argue. It's muddled. That they could have stayed married but left Mormonism?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 07:32:25 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2018, 07:48:05 AM by True Federalist »

The first part isn't analogous. A marriage due to religious and communal pressure involving two incompatable partners, of different sexualities undertaken to try and 'straighten' out one of them, failing isn't the same as a compatible marriage entered into simply failing.

Your second point, I don't know what you're trying to argue. It's muddled. That they could have stayed married but left Mormonism?

Andrew, it's quite apparent that there was an attraction between the two, even tho it wasn't a sexual one (at least on his part). Just because they were incompatible sexually doesn't mean that they were totally incompatible.  One of my biggest gripes is how modern society acts as if people have to be completely compatible in every way to make a marriage work.  Those unrealistic expectations are one thing that contributes to our excess of divorce.

That said, clearly something happened to change the nature of their relationship. My second point was that if they had been in a social context that could have accommodated that change, their marriage might have survived, but they weren't and they valued their social context more than they did their marriage. Nothing wrong with that per se, but I wanted to point out that dissolving their marriage wasn't the only possible way of resolving their situation. A change in social context, which in their case would have required dissolving their ties with the LDS church, was another option.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 03:07:32 PM »

but i was told sexuality is a spectrum and socially constructed
Confused people like to confuse others so they can feel confused together.  Literally everything is a spectrum and socially constructed.. like forests, for example.  Forests exist in a spectrum (tropical vs. boreal vs. rain vs. dry)... do the trees know they're in a forest?  Does the lonely tree on the prairie know it is not just a forest of one?

By defining characteristics and then using said characteristics to categorize things... we are socially constructing things into a spectrum.

So again.. confused people that assume social constructions are somehow bad are no better than those who assume sexuality is 100% Biblically defined in what happens to be a 17th century English translation of a dead language.  (we have dead languages and living languages and resurrected dead languages and dying languages and emerging languages... whattaya know, a SPECTRUM.. and whattaya know... SOCIALLY CONSTRUCTED!)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 10:38:44 PM »

SJWs are morons, but that doesn't make it okay to try to force people into being straight.

Many young people commit suicide because they are told by their family or their church that they're defective and sinful for being gay, and that's incredibly wrong.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »

Confused people like to confuse others so they can feel confused together.  Literally everything is a spectrum and socially constructed.. like forests, for example.  Forests exist in a spectrum (tropical vs. boreal vs. rain vs. dry)... do the trees know they're in a forest?  Does the lonely tree on the prairie know it is not just a forest of one?

By defining characteristics and then using said characteristics to categorize things... we are socially constructing things into a spectrum.

So again.. confused people that assume social constructions are somehow bad are no better than those who assume sexuality is 100% Biblically defined in what happens to be a 17th century English translation of a dead language.  (we have dead languages and living languages and resurrected dead languages and dying languages and emerging languages... whattaya know, a SPECTRUM.. and whattaya know... SOCIALLY CONSTRUCTED!)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 05:28:19 PM »

Aren’t spectrums just social constructions?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 06:53:13 AM »

Aren’t spectrums just social constructions?

Is my dick getting hard at only men a social construction? Please tell me the social environment that constructed my brain channelling blood flow to my dick?
john1565
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 07:01:04 AM »

We should not invade other's private area in my opinion. All have freedom of choice, right?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies