MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:24:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Author Topic: MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano  (Read 20551 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2018, 02:05:27 PM »

Imho Maura Harley wouldn’t fight against the MassDem establishment unless she was certain Pressley was going to pull this off.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »

Wow, huge.

Whoa, thats a pretty big endorsement. This might actually be a competitive race...

This was always a competitive race.

Anyways, this race is revving up to be another AOC redux.

Pressley is getting more high profile endorsements than AOC. The SEIU endorsed Crowley, as did any statewide officials who managed to give an endorsement. Only Zephyr Teachout endorsed AOC.

When I meant "AOC redux" I meant another DINO going down in a primary. Indeed, I would say that Pressley is better positioned to win than AOC was.

Ummm, Capuano and DINO are two words that dont go together. They dont even have any major policy differences. Both are progressive MA Democrats.

Anyway, this will be a close race, but Im still tilting it to Capuano.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2018, 02:50:55 PM »

Capuano is certainly not a DINO, and neither was Crowley, for that matter! Capuano is as liberal as Pressley.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2018, 02:54:18 PM »

Haven't you noticed that he's a white male? Say it with me: D - I - N -
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2018, 03:17:52 PM »

If you're calling Capuano a DINOS, you really don't know much about him. He's far more liberal than Lipinski and Crowley. I'm supporting him because he has seniority in the house transportation committee and has been key in providing federal funding for the MBTA.

As for the race itself, I think the Healey endorsement is big and definitely points to a competitive election. One thing to keep in mind though is Capuano has Marty Walsh's endorsement and the Boston machine is nothing to scoff at. I'm moving this race to Lean Capuano.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2018, 03:47:10 PM »

>Supports Beth Fukyumoto
>Voted for Pat Toomey
>Calls Capuano a DINO.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »

If you're calling Capuano a DINOS, you really don't know much about him. He's far more liberal than Lipinski and Crowley. I'm supporting him because he has seniority in the house transportation committee and has been key in providing federal funding for the MBTA.
Yeah, thats why Im supporting him to, especially since there is literally no difference between Pressley and Capuano.

And while this endorsement is pretty big, the candidates and dynamics of this race are not in favor of Pressley.

The ideological divide that would get progressive or moderate money and power into the race is not there. Pressley is not as active of a campaigner as AOC. Capuano is a rather strong incumbent. And while, again, the endorsement is large, its still rather small in the grand scheme.

Anyway, I rate this lean Capuano.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2018, 04:51:30 PM »

I’m sorry. I said something that wasn’t true without looking at all the facts. Capuano is not a DINO and I should’ve done more research on him before I said such a thing.

That being said, I still support Pressley in this race.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2018, 05:10:46 PM »

I’m sorry. I said something that wasn’t true without looking at all the facts. Capuano is not a DINO and I should’ve done more research on him before I said such a thing.

Its alright, I can see how you could get it mixed up, since most primaries have been moderates or DINOs vs Progressives.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2018, 05:16:20 PM »

Thanks for the explanation, and I'm sorry you got caught up in the mass reaction here. Those of us who have not always been on the left side of a Democratic primary can have a defensive reaction to being labeled as DINOs because it's often a bad-faith attack instead of just a mistake.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2018, 06:27:09 PM »

I wish more people like Cooper or Lipinski were losing rather than people like Crowley and Capuano.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2018, 06:28:53 PM »

I wish more people like Cooper or Lipinski were losing rather than people like Crowley and Capuano.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2018, 06:32:58 PM »

I support Pressley, but Capuano ain't no DINO.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »

Progressives are going to come full force at Lipinski in 2020. Newman only lost by 2 points after all. Donna Edwards did the same thing in 2006, came very close to beating an incumbent in 2006, then won by a landslide in 2008.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2018, 07:08:20 PM »

Progressives are going to come full force at Lipinski in 2020. Newman only lost by 2 points after all. Donna Edwards did the same thing in 2006, came very close to beating an incumbent in 2006, then won by a landslide in 2008.

Hopefully. Speaking of that, is Lynch getting a serious challenge? He's way to the right of Capuano.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2018, 07:09:32 PM »

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2018, 07:12:14 PM »

Hopefully. Speaking of that, is Lynch getting a serious challenge? He's way to the right of Capuano.
Semi-Serious. Brianna Wu is campaigning hard and doing well, but she doesnt have the money, and the D field has a third challenger as well, which will split the vote. He could be unseated OC style, with little fanfare until its too late, but it seems like Lynch will go on to serve another 2 years.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2018, 07:47:33 PM »

Semi-Serious. Brianna Wu is campaigning hard and doing well, but she doesnt have the money, and the D field has a third challenger as well, which will split the vote. He could be unseated OC style, with little fanfare until its too late, but it seems like Lynch will go on to serve another 2 years.
It's worth noting that Lynch's district is decent bit more conservative than Capuano's. I don't love Lynch but he fits his district like a glove
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2018, 07:50:32 PM »

It's worth noting that Lynch's district is decent bit more conservative than Capuano's. I don't love Lynch but he fits his district like a glove
Eh, the district is D+9, basically untouchable unless it really is a large wave.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »

Eh, the district is D+9, basically untouchable unless it really is a large wave.

D+9 doesn't necessarily mean that's it's liberal enough for a progressive challenger to win. In the northeast there's quite a few districts that vote for the Democrats in federal races by default, but are extremely moderate and vote for centrist congresspeople and GOP for governor.

NJ-02, NJ-03, both RI districts and the NY districts on Nassau and Suffolk counties are prime examples of that.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2018, 05:44:43 PM »

D+9 doesn't necessarily mean that's it's liberal enough for a progressive challenger to win. In the northeast there's quite a few districts that vote for the Democrats in federal races by default, but are extremely moderate and vote for centrist congresspeople and GOP for governor.

NJ-02, NJ-03, both RI districts and the NY districts on Nassau and Suffolk counties are prime examples of that.
The district in question already has a progressive congressman.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2018, 05:51:38 PM »

In other news I canvassed for this campaign yesterday and got to meet the Congressman. I live in an area which I expected to be pro-Capuano but I was blown back by the positive responses I got. I only met one Pressley supporter and that was because they were personal friends with her.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2018, 07:53:05 AM »

Pressley still has a gap to close in the next 5 weeks.

WBUR/MassInc, 7/27-7/29 (403 LVs)

Capuano: 48 (+1 since June)
Pressley: 35 (nc)

Lots of good data at the link.
http://www.wbur.org/news/2018/08/02/wbur-poll-capuano-pressley-7th-district

People are evenly split between reelecting an experienced candidate vs. electing someone new with 40%-40%.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2018, 07:58:17 AM »

Pressley still has a gap to close in the next 5 weeks.

WBUR/MassInc, 7/27-7/29 (403 LVs)

Capuano: 48 (+1 since June)
Pressley: 35 (nc)

Lots of good data at the link.
http://www.wbur.org/news/2018/08/02/wbur-poll-capuano-pressley-7th-district

People are evenly split between reelecting an experienced candidate vs. electing someone new with 40%-40%.
It seems to me that in this case, undecideds will split around 50/50, which would give Capuano the win. For Pressley to win, she needs to win over 90% of undecideds. Not even AOC could do that.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2018, 08:10:52 AM »

The poll was conducted before Healey’s endorsement, FYI, but Pressley is still an obvious underdog.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies