MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:53:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano  (Read 20524 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: August 18, 2018, 03:12:47 PM »

Dammit, that almost makes me want to endorse Pressley.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »

Is Capuano really that progressive?

He has a noticeably higher Trump score than other progressive politicians like Elizabeth Warren, Barbara Lee, Keith Ellison, Bernie Sanders.

Capuano's Trump score is much closer to other old-school city machine politicians like Joe Crowley and Bob Brady than the aforementioned progressive politicians. Where it's admittedly pretty low, but noticeably higher than the high-profile progressives in the House and Senate.
Trump score is a really bad measure of how progressive a senator/rep is. It just tells you how often a candidate votes for a bill that Trump also wanted passed. The problem is that the people mentioned have gone full anti-Trump, voting against even motioning bills, which I support. Capuano still votes for motions, which increases his score. By looking at his record, he is, indeed, one of the most progressive members of the MA delegation.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2018, 03:56:53 PM »

Lol @ the Intercept attacking Pressley for being too friendly with the establishment, over the 20 year incumbent congressman.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2018, 04:03:26 PM »

Obviously the primary role of a Congressman representing a complex urban district with severe social problems is to make sure that they hit the right #woke notes on whatever issues rose emoji twitter is angry about at any given moment. That is true politics and will definitely lead to a more egalitarian and harmonious society.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #204 on: August 18, 2018, 04:09:50 PM »

Obviously the primary role of a Congressman representing a complex urban district with severe social problems is to make sure that they hit the right #woke notes on whatever issues rose emoji twitter is angry about at any given moment. That is true politics and will definitely lead to a more egalitarian and harmonious society.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #205 on: August 18, 2018, 05:17:32 PM »

this tbh
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #206 on: August 18, 2018, 05:28:51 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2018, 06:28:07 PM by Southern Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
So Pressley would be willing to sink a healthcare bill extending insurance to tens of millions of Americans?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #207 on: August 18, 2018, 06:33:48 PM »

So Pressley would be willing to sink a healthcare bill extending insurance to tens of millions of Americans?

Not a surprising statement. The Tea Partiers of the left can be as nihilistic as their right-wing counterparts.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #208 on: August 18, 2018, 07:16:23 PM »

Lol @ the Intercept attacking Pressley for being too friendly with the establishment, over the 20 year incumbent congressman.
I think the point they're making is that she's hardly some anti-establishment hero. She didn't have the gall to stand up to Marty Walsh when she was in city council. Her whole campaign comes across as opportunistic, which in fairness isn't always a bad thing.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #209 on: August 18, 2018, 08:58:09 PM »

If Capuano is one of the strongest progressives in Congress, that shows what dire straits Congress is in.

The man called himself a fiscal conservative in 2009 (according to Wikipedia, the linked citation is dead).

He does vote correctly most of the time. I can’t point to a single thing he’s done or a bold stand he’s taken, however.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2018, 09:03:22 PM »

If Capuano is one of the strongest progressives in Congress, that shows what dire straits Congress is in.

The man called himself a fiscal conservative
in 2009 (according to Wikipedia, the linked citation is dead).

He does vote correctly most of the time. I can’t point to a single thing he’s done or a bold stand he’s taken, however.

Thats mostly a joke, hes against tax cuts and wants to defund the army to fix the budget. Sanders and Warren have also called themselves fiscally conservative before, and for the same reasons.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #211 on: August 18, 2018, 10:32:37 PM »

Not a surprising statement. The Tea Partiers of the left can be as nihilistic as their right-wing counterparts.

The irony of this is there was a 24-hour period when Capuano threatened to hold the ACA hostage for some reason I can’t remember. It was a mini Stupak moment. I remember calling his office to ask them to please, please just vote for the bill and get it done.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #212 on: August 18, 2018, 10:50:56 PM »

The man called himself a fiscal conservative in 2009 (according to Wikipedia, the linked citation is dead).

What would Pressley take a bold stance on?
Strong Candidate
123NY
Rookie

« Reply #213 on: August 19, 2018, 10:16:08 AM »

In 1987, Capuano helped to write Somerville's sanctuary city ordinance, and later supported its indefinite extension.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #214 on: August 19, 2018, 10:45:48 AM »

Ugh, so Pressley is the worst kind of "progressive", the one who holds people's health and livelihood hostage to score points in the culture war.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: August 19, 2018, 05:17:04 PM »

Ugh, so Pressley is the worst kind of "progressive", the one who holds people's health and livelihood hostage to score points in the culture war.
yep, more reason why I support Capuano.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #216 on: August 19, 2018, 07:45:16 PM »

yep, more reason why I support Capuano.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #217 on: August 19, 2018, 08:08:14 PM »

What would Pressley take a bold stance on?
No idea, but she isn’t the one with 20 years in the House of Representatives.

In 1987, Capuano helped to write Somerville's sanctuary city ordinance, and later supported its indefinite extension.

Jesus, over 30 years ago. Forward thinking to be sure. He was also very anti-Iraq, which is great.

But he just seems to get these culture things plain wrong. During the first Weiner sexting scandal, he refused to call on him to resign (they were close friends and shared an apartment in DC). More recently, he said Conyers deserves “due process”. This isn’t a criminal trial, Mike, it’s about serving in the United States House of Representatives.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #218 on: August 26, 2018, 07:13:19 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2018, 07:24:52 AM by Jeppe »

The Boston Globe endorses Ayanna Pressley over Capuano. A pretty shocking & big endorsement for her.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2018/08/25/endorsement-democrats-should-choose-ayanna-pressley-for-seventh-district/E5YhYoFCXesjJU2ThByDaK/story.html

Boston Herald also endorsed Pressley several days ago.

http://www.bostonherald.com/opinion/editorials/2018/08/editorial_endorsement_ayanna_pressley_offers_fresh_voice
Dipper Josh

« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »

Right now AOC is on the trail with Zephyr Teachout, I suspect she'll go out and campaign with Pressley once more before she's done.

I do take slight issue with "there's no difference between them" considering the whole "No Corporate PAC money" is like the #1 rallying cry for ProgDems since Sanders ran on it.

Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »

Right now AOC is on the trail with Zephyr Teachout, I suspect she'll go out and campaign with Pressley once more before she's done.

I do take slight issue with "there's no difference between them" considering the whole "No Corporate PAC money" is like the #1 rallying cry for ProgDems since Sanders ran on it.

Capuano is receiving support in form of hundreds of thousands of dollars in outside spending by the National Realtor’s Association. He’s literally directly receiving a ton of support from a lobbyist organization whose main interest is to keep housing expensive.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »

So apparently I should vote for Pressley because liquor licences? Seems like some pretty weak reasoning compared to all of the tangible benefits Capuano has brought to the district. Anyways this changes nothing. Newspaper endorsements don't matter.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »

It's pretty telling that our Massachusets posters are supporting Capuano while the out-of-staters are rabid Pressley fans.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2018, 11:21:00 AM »

God I feel like unless you live in this seat, the follow up and endless post match commentary is going to be much more unbearable than the actual result. Both Capuano, and Pressley seem to fit perfectly within both the MA, and wider Democratic ideology, neither have ethical, or personality flaws, and both would serve the district well.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »

It's pretty telling that our Massachusets posters are supporting Capuano while the out-of-staters are rabid Pressley fans.

Tbh, most of the forum supports Capuano, regardless of residency (as shown by a poll on the forum recently). It's probably more that most Pressley supporters/voters are either POC or women, as Twitter indicates, and those demographic groups aren't Atlas posters.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies