MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:36:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]
Author Topic: MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano  (Read 20565 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: September 06, 2018, 09:40:01 PM »

Carper actually has an "ideological" reason to lose, unlike Capuano. That probably means he survives, lol.

Capuano could have won Delaware, he just didn't live there.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #326 on: September 07, 2018, 12:29:28 AM »

buckeye nut, you know that every single mayor of Somerville has been hella corrupt right? Capuano is no different, and he helped make the city into the weird Disneyland that's basically priced out everyone who's not a recent Ivy League grad, tryna make it in the big city...

Also, the "left" that I know of in Boston and JOB didn't support either candidate...
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #327 on: September 07, 2018, 01:43:24 AM »

This is in Capuano's Wikipedia article:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm assuming Pressley is Protestant. If so I might have to retroactively change my support. Wink

Maybe it’s just the bigoted Anglo-Saxon in me, but whenever I see someone that has an Italian or Spanish surname I automatically assume they’re Catholic unless proven otherwise.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #328 on: September 07, 2018, 04:47:15 AM »

And yet, I’m sure Gina Raimondo won’t lose her primary next week.

As will Carper tomorrow, yeah.

I'll say it: Democratic primary voters are almost always wrong.

Raimondo is in a totally different situation from Carper.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #329 on: September 07, 2018, 06:29:51 AM »

buckeye nut, you know that every single mayor of Somerville has been hella corrupt right? Capuano is no different, and he helped make the city into the weird Disneyland that's basically priced out everyone who's not a recent Ivy League grad, tryna make it in the big city...

Also, the "left" that I know of in Boston and JOB didn't support either candidate...

Link?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #330 on: September 07, 2018, 06:45:55 AM »

Link?

Somerville has an old history of city corruption, but it has been driven lower over time. I doubt Capuano was squeaky clean but him and all his successors were basically normal city mayors compared to earlier ones.

Gentrification happened because of the red line in Davis and Somerville’s location near Boston as it boomed. I’m not going to blame a mayor for not keeping his city a slum.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #331 on: September 07, 2018, 11:47:38 PM »

Link?

Somerville has an old history of city corruption, but it has been driven lower over time. I doubt Capuano was squeaky clean but him and all his successors were basically normal city mayors compared to earlier ones.

Gentrification happened because of the red line in Davis and Somerville’s location near Boston as it boomed. I’m not going to blame a mayor for not keeping his city a slum.
Sorry, but Somerville was not "a slum" before Capuano took over. Perhaps you don't have family members who had to move to Andover because there was no affordable housing left after their landlord sold their building. Perhaps you don't have family members that had their pop warner team banned from practicing on city facilities because the mayor coached a different team....
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #332 on: September 08, 2018, 09:07:49 AM »

Link?

Sorry, but Somerville was not "a slum" before Capuano took over. Perhaps you don't have family members who had to move to Andover because there was no affordable housing left after their landlord sold their building. Perhaps you don't have family members that had their pop warner team banned from practicing on city facilities because the mayor coached a different team....

"Slum" is hyperbole, but I didn't make up the term "Slummerville", which is what I was alluding to.

You don't have to think gentrification is 100% positive to recognize that Somerville was not someplace many people were happy to be living in when they were living there. It's unfortunate that some people were driven out; but for every person like that, there was a homeowner who was Inksing thrilled to be able to sell their home at a profit and move to North Reading or Burlington and leave Somerville behind.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #333 on: September 08, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »

Link?

I was asking if there was a link to any sort of corruption allegations against Capuano or if this was just Warwander was just making a baseless allegation. 
warandwar
United States

« Reply #334 on: September 08, 2018, 10:51:53 AM »

Link?

I was asking if there was a link to any sort of corruption allegations against Capuano or if this was just Warwander was just making a baseless allegation. 
Personal experience, anecdotal evidence...
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #335 on: September 08, 2018, 01:42:41 PM »

Link?

Care to elaborate?
BundouYMB

« Reply #336 on: September 08, 2018, 01:49:00 PM »

Link?

Care to elaborate?

He can't. You see, if he elaborated you'd see he was full of sh*t.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #337 on: September 08, 2018, 03:19:52 PM »

Link?

Care to elaborate?

That’s what I figured, but negative thinking yields negative folks.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #338 on: September 08, 2018, 05:32:25 PM »

Link?

Care to elaborate?

Sorry I do not have the time to post all day. It is anecdotal evidence, from when my family lived there in the 90s. Nothing exciting - just the normal stuff w/ distribution of contracts, pay-to-play deals with developers....   
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies