MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:11:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Author Topic: MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano  (Read 20604 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »

Why should this person be primaried? Primarying good incumbent dems makes no sense.

Primaries are the only way to get rid of neoliberals like Mike Capuano and Bernie Sanders.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »

I think it's pretty clear she tired of waiting for her turn. Her slogan is "Change Can't Wait." Pretty clear shot at the MA Dem establishment.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 09:22:17 PM »

When did it become "Pressley’s turn”? I'm interested in arguments about real history and facts here, not generalizations about women and minorities being crushed by the Democratic Party (and I’m speaking as someone who will nearly always vote for the woman in a primary on principle.)

Pressley agrees with Capuano on all of the issues. It’s not really possible to run to his left.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2018, 09:37:14 PM »

Why should this person be primaried? Primarying good incumbent dems makes no sense.

Primaries are the only way to get rid of neoliberals like Mike Capuano and Bernie Sanders.

I do hope that was said jokingly.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2018, 10:46:55 PM »

I do hope that was said jokingly.

Obviously, but the fact that you needed to ask is sort of the point Tongue
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2018, 11:01:43 PM »

This is all happening because Seth Moulton made it hip and cool to primary incumbent Democrats here. The problem is all of our Democrats are a great fit for their district.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2018, 05:13:35 AM »

This is all happening because Seth Moulton made it hip and cool to primary incumbent Democrats here. The problem is all of our Democrats are a great fit for their district.

I don't think Lynch is a good fit for his district. McGovern appears not to be on the surface, but he's apparently popular.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2018, 05:45:29 AM »

I don't think Lynch is a good fit for his district. McGovern appears not to be on the surface, but he's apparently popular.

Why don’t you think Lynch is a good fit?
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2018, 07:14:49 AM »

Lynch is a great fit for his district. He’s moderate, working class back ground, and he’s from southie representing much of the south shore. Almost everyone there used to be from southie or Dorchester do he probsbly knows a huge amount of people in the district personally
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2018, 10:03:35 PM »

I always thought the district was kind of wealthy and suburban and not remotely "working class." But I don't know much about what it's like on the ground there.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2018, 12:33:05 PM »

Senator Moulton would be awful, but he seems more likely to run for Governor. No one is beating Joe Kennedy in a Senate primary, especially not Pressley. Also Lynch does seem to the right of his district. Would have liked to see Pressley primary him.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2018, 01:33:32 PM »

Looks like Capuano won’t be able to maintain a monopoly over union support. The Chelsea Council President, Damali Vidot, also endorsed Pressley.

Electricians and technicians weren’t a group I expected Pressley to win over.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2018, 03:21:31 PM »

Looks like Capuano won’t be able to maintain a monopoly over union support. The Chelsea Council President, Damali Vidot, also endorsed Pressley.

That is interesting. I think further up the thread there was a link to an article where Harris Gruman said that unions were divided because many of their members are women or people of color, despite their good relationship with Capuano. So, yes, this union is a surprising get.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2018, 04:57:54 PM »

Very disappointing
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2018, 08:31:28 PM »

Moulton primarying Tierney made a lot more sense though - Tierney was a very weak incumbent that almost lost that seat for the party in 2012. Had Tierney been the D nominee for 2014, the seat probably would have flipped.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2018, 09:23:32 AM »

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2018, 10:57:47 AM »

This is gonna be another Newman, I think.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2018, 11:08:02 AM »

Pressley already has huge name ID and wide popularity within Boston, and the fundraising gap between the two isn't too daunting. It's an uphill battle unquestionably but she is much better positioned than Newman at this time.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »

Pressley already has huge name ID and wide popularity within Boston, and the fundraising gap between the two isn't too daunting. It's an uphill battle unquestionably but she is much better positioned than Newman at this time.

Also, there is no significant difference on the issues like there was with Lipisnki.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »

If by that you mean she'll lose the primary, then that works for me.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2018, 01:49:36 AM »

Capuano has received endorsements from Marty Walsh and now Deval Patrick. That helps.

https://patch.com/massachusetts/somerville/rep-capuano-receives-second-key-primary-endorsement
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2018, 08:07:12 AM »

Hmm, Capuano voted yes on this awful bill. I wonder why he voted this way when it could leave him vulnerable on a hot-button issue among minority voters.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2018, 12:46:28 PM »

Hmm, Capuano voted yes on this awful bill. I wonder why he voted this way when it could leave him vulnerable on a hot-button issue among minority voters.

Roll Eyes
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2018, 12:49:39 AM »

Just felt like bumping this thread after the upset victory by Ocasio-Cortez. The victory has me worried about Capuano's chances. Despite being definitively progressive Crowley still lost this race. Capuano is definitely in a better place than Crowley but I don't think I can shake the feeling that this race could be close.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2018, 12:53:53 AM »

Just felt like bumping this thread after the upset victory by Ocasio-Cortez. The victory has me worried about Capuano's chances. Despite being definitively progressive Crowley still lost this race. Capuano is definitely in a better place than Crowley but I don't think I can shake the feeling that this race could be close.

I don’t see how Crowley’s in a better position. He won’t be able to outspent Pressley 10-1 like Crowley did. But I guess his district is whiter than Crowley’s, although AOC won quite a few white areas too. Pressley starts off with more name recognition and establishment support than Ocasio-Cortez could have ever dreamed of when she launched her campaign, but that may actually serve as a detriment because it raises expectations and may motivate Capuano’s supporters.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies