MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:39:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA-07: Boston City Councillor to Challenge Capuano  (Read 20528 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: February 16, 2018, 08:42:16 AM »

Hoping for a Pressley win. If she can get this close with just a month of campaigning, hopefully she can pull out a win.

Why? 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:25:25 PM »

Hoping for a Pressley win. If she can get this close with just a month of campaigning, hopefully she can pull out a win.

Why? 

Because the Massachusetts delegation is all-white and severely lacking in women. It may not be important to you, but having proper representation of women and minorities in Congress is important for some people. Tough luck for Capuano, but times are changing.

It’s more important to have competent representatives with the experience to help advance progressive legislation instead of just screaming buzzwords.  Capuano has been a great congressman and primarying him simply because he’s the “wrong” skin-color or gender doesn’t really make much sense, to say the least.  And this isn’t someone like Steve Lynch we’re talking about either; that’d obviously be another story.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 06:57:31 PM »

Why should this person be primaried? Primarying good incumbent dems makes no sense.

Primaries are the only way to get rid of neoliberals like Mike Capuano and Bernie Sanders.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 10:46:55 PM »

Why should this person be primaried? Primarying good incumbent dems makes no sense.

Primaries are the only way to get rid of neoliberals like Mike Capuano and Bernie Sanders.

I do hope that was said jokingly.

Obviously, but the fact that you needed to ask is sort of the point Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 04:57:54 PM »

Looks like Capuano won’t be able to maintain a monopoly over union support. The Chelsea Council President, Damali Vidot, also endorsed Pressley.

Electricians and technicians weren’t a group I expected Pressley to win over.

Very disappointing
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »

This is gonna be another Newman, I think.

If by that you mean she'll lose the primary, then that works for me.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 12:46:28 PM »

Hmm, Capuano voted yes on this awful bill. I wonder why he voted this way when it could leave him vulnerable on a hot-button issue among minority voters.

Roll Eyes
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 05:44:24 AM »

Hmm, Capuano voted yes on this awful bill. I wonder why he voted this way when it could leave him vulnerable on a hot-button issue among minority voters.

Roll Eyes

In fairness, that IS a grossly overused charge. In practice, the factual difference between a misdemeanor resisting arrest and a felony cop assault is minor. Adding a mandatory 10 year sentence (which in OH, fwiw, assuming no serious injury, in a non-mandatory 18 months) in crazy balls.

Oh you’ll get no argument there, but I don’t think it should be eliminated
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 07:58:16 PM »

Reminds me of the Crowley comments also disparaging identity politics. These 90’s Dems are really out of touch.

I’m sympathetic to critiques of identity politics but this is not an artful/intelligent of approaching it
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 06:14:19 PM »

Fortunately, Capuano should still win despite the gaffe.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 07:45:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
So Pressley would be willing to sink a healthcare bill extending insurance to tens of millions of Americans?

Ugh, so Pressley is the worst kind of "progressive", the one who holds people's health and livelihood hostage to score points in the culture war.
yep, more reason why I support Capuano.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 08:11:52 PM »

People on Atlas have no idea what they're talking about part 1293819313

Implying you’d give an [inks] about this race if Pressley were a white man Roll Eyes
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »

Congresswoman Ayanna Pressley (D-MA)

Weren’t you the one supporting Sara Jacobs in CA-49 and “moderate Donna Shalala” in FL-27?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 08:42:58 PM »

Implying you’d give an [inks] about this race if Pressley were a white man Roll Eyes

Dude... Chill. White men win plenty of offices. It's about time that the less talented of this over-represented group headed towards retirement--either voluntarily or through electoral defeat.

Look, Capuano isn't exactly the most silver-tongued orator and Pressely has a lot more star potential than he does. Its perfectly reasonable to replace an older, less exciting candidate with a new voice.

Remember when Mike Honda lost? He was a wonderful incumbent but lackluster af.

Meanwhile, in LA, African-American politicians in traditionally Black districts are losing to Latinos and Latinos are losing "Latino" districts to Asians. And Dems are looking at sending two native women to congress. Diversity is our strength and a diverse leadership is a more effective and more engaging leadership. That's why Gillum and Abrams are so exciting.

Meanwhile, even though white males are a small minority of Democratic primary voters, we are going to be electing straight white man Gavin Newsom as our next governor. And he has strong support from minority communities throughout the state.

Capuano is easily one of best members of the House.  You’re telling me that of all the Congressmen, he’s the one who deserved a primary challenge?  Really?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 08:56:28 PM »

Dude... Chill. White men win plenty of offices. It's about time that the less talented of this over-represented group headed towards retirement--either voluntarily or through electoral defeat.

Look, Capuano isn't exactly the most silver-tongued orator and Pressely has a lot more star potential than he does. Its perfectly reasonable to replace an older, less exciting candidate with a new voice.

Remember when Mike Honda lost? He was a wonderful incumbent but lackluster af.

Meanwhile, in LA, African-American politicians in traditionally Black districts are losing to Latinos and Latinos are losing "Latino" districts to Asians. And Dems are looking at sending two native women to congress. Diversity is our strength and a diverse leadership is a more effective and more engaging leadership. That's why Gillum and Abrams are so exciting.

Meanwhile, even though white males are a small minority of Democratic primary voters, we are going to be electing straight white man Gavin Newsom as our next governor. And he has strong support from minority communities throughout the state.

Capuano is easily one of best members of the House.  You’re telling me that of all the Congressmen, he’s the one who deserved a primary challenge?  Really?
I mean, it not like he was entitled to no primary challenge, and he did the best he could. The unions just can't prop him up anymore, since with the new diversity.

Doesn’t mean I have to like seeing him go down like this.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 04:52:07 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2018, 04:58:05 AM by Pope Michael Bolton »

Forum Democrats:

When a black candidate unexpectedly defeats a white candidate, try not to sound like this Nazi douchebag:

https://twitter.com/yooroppawo/status/1037158786153103360

Thanks.

Some of my relatives died in the Holocaust, [Inks]hole Angry
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »

Imagine screaming "identity politics" to discredit a POC for winning an election.

This.  Gasp, voters saw two extremely similar candidates and chose the one...what's the dog whistle people like to use again..."most likely to get a beer with" aka the one who was more relatable to them!  Unfortunately people no longer "want to get a beer with" an old white man anymore.

How is “most likely to grab a beer with” a dog whistle?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 02:26:08 PM »

We lost a progressive champion who had the courage to vote against the PATRIOT Act back in those dark days in the near aftermath of 9/11. Now we have someone who staked out exactly one position to the left of a long-term incumbent. I hope the residents of MA-07 enjoy their new lack of seniority, and I further hope a certain element on Atlas comes to the realization that being "dynamic," which Pressley is, is not the same thing as being "left," like AOC is.
He is not owed the seat. The funny part about all of this is that white people gave Pressley her margin of victory.
When did I say he was? Diversity for its own sake has some merits, and if that’s your goal, okay. The fact of the mattsr is that Capuano was one of the best members of the House on policy, and ran to Pressley’s left on every issue but ICE. This is not a victory for the left — it is a loss.

Correct
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 03:04:28 PM »

We lost a progressive champion who had the courage to vote against the PATRIOT Act back in those dark days in the near aftermath of 9/11. Now we have someone who staked out exactly one position to the left of a long-term incumbent. I hope the residents of MA-07 enjoy their new lack of seniority, and I further hope a certain element on Atlas comes to the realization that being "dynamic," which Pressley is, is not the same thing as being "left," like AOC is.
He is not owed the seat. The funny part about all of this is that white people gave Pressley her margin of victory.
When did I say he was? Diversity for its own sake has some merits, and if that’s your goal, okay. The fact of the mattsr is that Capuano was one of the best members of the House on policy, and ran to Pressley’s left on every issue but ICE. This is not a victory for the left — it is a loss.

Correct
I have no idea what land you two live in where you think that Capuano was the Left candidate.

Planet earth
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 06:29:51 AM »

buckeye nut, you know that every single mayor of Somerville has been hella corrupt right? Capuano is no different, and he helped make the city into the weird Disneyland that's basically priced out everyone who's not a recent Ivy League grad, tryna make it in the big city...

Also, the "left" that I know of in Boston and JOB didn't support either candidate...

Link?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »

buckeye nut, you know that every single mayor of Somerville has been hella corrupt right? Capuano is no different, and he helped make the city into the weird Disneyland that's basically priced out everyone who's not a recent Ivy League grad, tryna make it in the big city...

Also, the "left" that I know of in Boston and JOB didn't support either candidate...

Link?

Somerville has an old history of city corruption, but it has been driven lower over time. I doubt Capuano was squeaky clean but him and all his successors were basically normal city mayors compared to earlier ones.

Gentrification happened because of the red line in Davis and Somerville’s location near Boston as it boomed. I’m not going to blame a mayor for not keeping his city a slum.

I was asking if there was a link to any sort of corruption allegations against Capuano or if this was just Warwander was just making a baseless allegation. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 01:42:41 PM »

Link?

Somerville has an old history of city corruption, but it has been driven lower over time. I doubt Capuano was squeaky clean but him and all his successors were basically normal city mayors compared to earlier ones.

Gentrification happened because of the red line in Davis and Somerville’s location near Boston as it boomed. I’m not going to blame a mayor for not keeping his city a slum.

I was asking if there was a link to any sort of corruption allegations against Capuano or if this was just Warwander was just making a baseless allegation. 
Personal experience, anecdotal evidence...

Care to elaborate?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 03:19:52 PM »

Link?

Personal experience, anecdotal evidence...

Care to elaborate?

He can't. You see, if he elaborated you'd see he was full of sh*t.

That’s what I figured, but negative thinking yields negative folks.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies