Joe Manchin rips "disrespectful" Dem colleagues for not standing at SOTU.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:26:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Manchin rips "disrespectful" Dem colleagues for not standing at SOTU.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Joe Manchin rips "disrespectful" Dem colleagues for not standing at SOTU.  (Read 1868 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 09:37:37 PM »

Mr. Manchin, do us a favor and switch parties.

As a republican, I extend the same request. As do 51 Republican Senators.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 01:31:13 AM »

I mean I'd be down
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 01:34:48 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2018, 01:40:22 AM by Virginia »

I think whether you'd admit it or not, you would come to regret that over time. I generally find this to be self-evident, but someone you don't always agree with in rhetoric and policy, but votes with your party >40% is still better than someone who will vote for you <10% (and criticizes your party non-stop).

Manchin is not an ideal Senator, but considering he represents West Virginia, I'll take what I can get.
Joey1996

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 01:35:37 AM »

What difference does it make when he votes with Republicans most of the time anyway?
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 01:46:11 AM »

What difference does it make when he votes with Republicans most of the time anyway?
According to FiveThirtyEight, Manchin votes with Trump 58% of the time, which makes your point that he votes with Republicans (specifically Trump) more often than not. However, he still votes with Democrats a not insignificant amount (42%) of the time. Doug Jones has, in his incredibly short tenure, voted with Trump 80% of the time, so Manchin (technically) isn't even the most conservative Democrat. Additionally, Rand Paul is the Republican who votes with Trump the least often, and even then, he votes with Trump 78% of the time. Should Manchin switch parties, he would go from being the most conservative Democrat with any kind of voting record (by a little, Heitkamp and Donnelly are right behind him, each with 53% Trump scores) to being the most liberal Republican, by a wide (20 percentage points) margin. If Manchin switches parties, then Heitkamp and Donnelly should too, and it's not like their views would be accepted by the GOP. All three should stay Democrats, since they vote with Democrats far more often than even the most liberal Republicans do, even if not a majority of the time.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 05:37:51 AM »

Manchin is merely playing the game, to try and stay politically afloat. At the end of the day, I'd rather have Joe Manchin (D) in congress to vote for a majority leader not named McConnell, than Generic WV Politician (R).
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 08:43:13 AM »

He's just trying to get reelected. This is the kind of game you play in a state that voted Trump by 40%.

Him voting against the GOP tax bill was f*ing huge. He made a gigantic risk to himself by doing that. That bill is surely popular in West Virgina.
That bill isn't popular anywhere. If anything WV is 50/50 on it.

Considering Trump has like 60% approval in WV, and most of the people who approve of Trump also approve of the GOP tax bill (contrary to the narrative about the WWC and the tax bill), the tax bill is likely fairly popular in WV, and will drag Manchin down on election day by at least a little bit. Manchin sacrificed by voting no on that bill (as did Heitkamp), and so-called "progressives" should thank their allies rather than throwing them down a ditch so they can be replaced by a much more rightwing person.

This. I used to live in WV. Went to check out Manchin's Facebook page to gauge reactions. His constituents posting there were all ripping him a new one over the tax bill. Of course, a lot of them blamed him for stuff he had nothing to do with, which was unfortunate, so I hope partisan politics doesn't do him in.

I'm not the biggest fan of Manchin, but I think in general he is trying to help the people of WV and appeal to them so that he can stay in. That's not an easy task. I don't think he should have called out the other senators, but it is what it is. It's not that big of a deal.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 08:56:35 AM »

He's just trying to get reelected. This is the kind of game you play in a state that voted Trump by 40%.

Him voting against the GOP tax bill was f*ing huge. He made a gigantic risk to himself by doing that. That bill is surely popular in West Virgina.
That bill isn't popular anywhere. If anything WV is 50/50 on it.

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_US_013118/

Monmouth said Hillary would win rofl

No, they said more people would vote for her which was true. Polls don't 'say' anything else.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »

Not standing for Trump is fine if that’s what they wanna do, but refusing to stand for non controversial things like low black unemployment or Steve Scalise recovering just makes them look petty. What do they gain by refusing to stand for that?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 12:19:53 PM »

FF
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »

Not standing for Trump is fine if that’s what they wanna do, but refusing to stand for non controversial things like low black unemployment or Steve Scalise recovering just makes them look petty. What do they gain by refusing to stand for that?

Bruh....the Democrats are a gentocracy...theys feet hurt too much to stand
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 01:34:08 PM »

Everyone should stand when POTUS enters the room as showing respect for the office. Not doing that I consider disrespectful. One need not clap - just stand. I don't consider not standing thereafter as being disrespectful. In fact, the standing thing I think is overdone. And Trump clapping for himself, I consider the most inappropriate of all. He acted as if he were a cheerleader at a football game, except that instead of it being for a team, it was for himself.

And there you have it.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 01:37:45 PM »

This post is so dumb, and I don't even think it was a knee-jerk/overly emotional reaction.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2018, 01:50:45 PM »

There are videos of him almost standing, then look around and sitting. That won't play well, and neither will this faux posturing.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »

There are videos of him almost standing, then look around and sitting. That won't play well, and neither will this faux posturing.

Only an atlas turbonerd would care about this.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »

Too.late....hes already received the blessings of Fox

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies