Hungary parliamentary election April 8 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:28:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hungary parliamentary election April 8 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Hungary parliamentary election April 8 2018  (Read 18406 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 09, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »

Concerning Kadar vs Orban, there are some comparisons that work. They both were in favor of strong fences, Kadar on the Austrian border to keep people in, Orban on the Serbian border to keep people out. Under Kadar, very little immigration, under Orban, little non-EU immigration.  If Kadar were alive today my guess is that he would probably support much of Orban's immigration ideas, but not the Christian overlay that infuses much of the rhetoric. He'd probably also be against Hungary joining the euro, viewing it as putting the Hungarian working class under the international financiers of the wealthy west.
rob in cal
« Reply #151 on: April 09, 2018, 11:11:43 AM »

Anyone know the best way to find data which has a side by side list of the district vote, and the party list vote for that district right next to each other. On the national site I found a way to view them on precinct level but not overall district level. I'm interested in tracking anti-fidesz tactical voting.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #152 on: April 09, 2018, 11:26:57 AM »

I think I call it quits (this will take a few more hours).

Here, everything would be 100% counted already and people could go to bed.

With 10% more turnout.

didn't your country have to re-run an election recently because of incompetence?

No, only because the FPÖ was bitching around and the court found some sloppiness (which is not incompetence).

Anyway, because of that court ruling the elections are now conducted even better - so it wasn't all too bad that we had to repeat it.

Still, my point stands: We close at 5pm and have 80% turnout.

And Hungary closes at 7pm and it takes past midnight to have a final result out and there are long lines in Budapest, which is not the case here.
EPG
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2018, 03:34:35 PM »

I disagree as I think overtly antisemitic electoral campaigns are bad. This is a minority view these days o/c, but a minority position can be the correct one sometimes.

In this case, it is the correct one. The interesting test is who holds Orban to account for it, when they are happy to criticise Muslims/Corbyn-Momentum. The sad conclusion is that anti-Muslim matters more than sincere philo-Semitism, which shouldn't be too surprising.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2018, 05:18:56 PM »

nice maps Oryx.   

Is there any particular reason Jobbik did so much better in some places than others?  Is that just down to candidates?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2018, 05:55:36 PM »

nice maps Oryx.  

Is there any particular reason Jobbik did so much better in some places than others?  Is that just down to candidates?
They tend to do the best in the area northeast of Budapest, which has a relatively big Romani population and is also among the more economically deprived areas. Some of the areas close to the Balaton lake are also strongholds, but I don't know why, other than that Lajos Rig was an incumbent Jobbik MP with an FPTP seat once won in a by-election.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2018, 07:30:06 PM »

nice maps Oryx.   

Is there any particular reason Jobbik did so much better in some places than others?  Is that just down to candidates?

In addition to DavidB, there is an obvious correlation between urban/suburban (outside of NE) and less vote. The NW, in contrast to other rurals, was a big Fidesz stronghold, with them often pushing the 65% barrier.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies