FT 5-10: Secession Plebiscite Act (TABLED)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:27:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 5-10: Secession Plebiscite Act (TABLED)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 5-10: Secession Plebiscite Act (TABLED)  (Read 675 times)
DFL

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:50:01 AM »
« edited: February 06, 2018, 12:34:55 PM by DFL »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Sponsor: Ted Bessell
DFL

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »

Discussion may now commence.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 12:09:17 PM »

This seems counterproductive.
DFL

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »

I will leave it up to this Parliament whether this non-binding plebiscite makes it to the ballot.

With that being said, I believe the idea of an independent Fremont is, by all means, a destructive idea.

Fremont is a unique region. The name-calling and personal attacks that are sadly commonplace in our federal political climate are hard to find here. We’re progressive, fiercely independent, and proudly trek our own path. None of this means, however, that we should leave Atlasia.

Let’s just think for a moment what would happen if Fremont did leave Atlasia. We would have to craft a completely new national constitution. We’d have to deal with how to manage our affairs not only with an Atlasia that was hostile towards us, but on the same platform as them nonetheless. Our tranquil region, which has faced minimal consequence from federal mishap, would suddenly likely face an influx of new opportunistic members looking to bend our Commonwealth to their desires, and likely conflict to boot. Our standing as a respected entity would be harshly weakened.

I am passionate about keeping Fremont independent, progressive, and welcoming — don’t get me wrong. The difference is that I believe that our path to those goals isn’t currently hindered by our staying in Atlasia. If we left, however, that would change.

So to this Parliament I say do as you will. But, I ask that this item is quickly and quietly put out of its misery.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »

I strongly oppose this act.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 02:04:55 AM »
« Edited: February 04, 2018, 02:11:53 AM by Ted Bessell »

Hi.

I oppose Fremont secession, but there have been rumblings about it in certain private circles for some time. What better way to quash those than with an overwhelming defeat in a fair and free ballot referendum?

Also, I thought this would be fun to debate, which I guess it kind of is, but not really
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 02:18:53 AM »

Broadly speaking, there is really not much debate when there seems to be little ideological diversity in Fremont. Given that there is little support in Fremont among MP's for this as well, I motion to table this.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 02:26:53 AM »

Since there’s obviously no chance that this is going to pass, I would like to withdraw this bill from consideration. Sorry for wasting the chamber’s time, although this forces me to seek out more direct solutions to the problem I haven’t told any of you about
DFL

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 02:42:43 AM »

Since there’s obviously no chance that this is going to pass, I would like to withdraw this bill from consideration. Sorry for wasting the chamber’s time, although this forces me to seek out more direct solutions to the problem I haven’t told any of you about

No need to apologize, Ted, thank you for bringing this issue to light and finally getting the resounding “no” you were aiming for, lololol
DFL

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 01:08:23 PM »

Also, just as a technicality in the Standing Orders, there is no current way for a sponsor to withdraw a bill from debate themselves. With that being said, I will consider MP Bessell to have withdrawn his sponsorship instead.

If nobody else claims sponsorship on this act in 36 hours, it will officially be tabled.
DFL

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 12:34:48 PM »

This bill has officially been tabled.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies