HB 1191: Party Organisation Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:26:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 1191: Party Organisation Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 1191: Party Organisation Act  (Read 1855 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2018, 04:50:35 PM »
« edited: February 02, 2018, 04:52:28 PM by Former Game Moderator 1184AZ »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Sponsor:Oakvale
House Designation: HB 1191

Atlasian People's House of Representatives
Pending
[/quote]
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 04:51:34 PM »

I open the floor for 72 hours for debate on this bill
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 07:56:09 PM »

Bump let’s get some debate going on this bill.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 08:11:06 PM »

While the primary idea sounds like an interesting concept, some parties do not have enough support in all three regions to sustain a primary. Also, having delegates elected is a more complicated process and less engaging for party membership as opposed to the current process, where all members are delegates. In addition, I believe that it is best for the parties to have the freedom to choose when they want to hold their primaries (some may not want to hold them at the same time).

Finally, I believe, as a party leader, that it is best for the party itself to decide how to run their own conventions and the voting process, as the leader is best in tune to the system that the party is best suited for. For example, point 7:

The leader is the best person to decide who should participate in the party's primary, not the regions.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 11:08:10 PM »

This is actually an idea that I came up with a little less than two years ago -- when I was Governor, I spitballed with Yankee about the possibility of having organized Presidential primaries. So, I'll butt in to offer my take:

Primaries are an interesting concept, but when you keep in mind that parties generally don't have more than one or two dozen active members, some primaries could have only a handful of voters. In addition, I think that IRL America's convention system is a pretty outdated model that takes power out of the hands of the actual voters, and the current system (in which the party's actual voters are the final arbiters of nominees) is more than adequate.

If Atlasia had hundreds or even thousands of active players in all sorts of different states, and you could get a few dozen people voting in each regional primary, maybe the non-convention part of this would be a good idea. With these things, simpler is usually better. Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:03:16 PM »

This is actually an idea that I came up with a little less than two years ago -- when I was Governor, I spitballed with Yankee about the possibility of having organized Presidential primaries. So, I'll butt in to offer my take:

Primaries are an interesting concept, but when you keep in mind that parties generally don't have more than one or two dozen active members, some primaries could have only a handful of voters. In addition, I think that IRL America's convention system is a pretty outdated model that takes power out of the hands of the actual voters, and the current system (in which the party's actual voters are the final arbiters of nominees) is more than adequate.

If Atlasia had hundreds or even thousands of active players in all sorts of different states, and you could get a few dozen people voting in each regional primary, maybe the non-convention part of this would be a good idea. With these things, simpler is usually better. Tongue

I miss those days.

It is an important point about the size of the player base, in a given region.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 02:55:04 PM »

In the interests of clarity I should say on the outset that if the imposition of a primary system in principle is a barrier to the rest of what I think is a very important piece of legislation's passage I'd have no particular objection to splitting the bill by amendment and introducing the notion at a later date.

I do think it's a conversation worth having.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 09:39:43 AM »

If there's no further comment I'll submit an amendment shortly to excise the primary system since the primary purpose of the Act is actually to close a major loophole on the lack of a definition for a 'major' party in our Constitution.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 02:54:27 AM »

If there's no further comment I'll submit an amendment shortly to excise the primary system since the primary purpose of the Act is actually to close a major loophole on the lack of a definition for a 'major' party in our Constitution.

Ironically for me to be saying this you, but it is just too complex a system to maintain I would fear. It would be one step away from us adopting an electoral college. Maybe it would be a fun dynamic, but it is something I think a party should experiment with voluntarily with first before mandating the system for all parties.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 12:42:58 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2018, 01:31:37 PM by Rep. Oakvale »

I am leaving the "major party/recognised party" distinction in statute as I think it would give us some useful flexibility in legislating in the future - as anyone knows, there's a significant practical difference between a 'major party' on paper and a 'major party' proper.

An amendment:

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 12:45:24 PM »

By this definition, Labor is one member away from losing major party status.

one-party state
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 11:02:51 PM »

Why strip away party affiliation appearing on ballot for someone in a member party? I think they should have the right to run under the party's name of their registration.

Strange coming from someone claiming political parties had no control who could be on a ballot using their name, and now you want to stop a citizen from appearing with his registered party.

Tiny parties are not a problem. I don't see the need to try to make them invisible or more difficult to exist.

If you want to make rules for parties, male rules for big ones. Why not forbid them to run primaries to choose one canddiate for a race, that way every party member could have the right to run in any election with the party's name. It could produce races with more candidates and offer more choices to citizens.     
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 11:08:14 PM »

Why strip away party affiliation appearing on ballot for someone in a member party? I think they should have the right to run under the party's name of their registration.

Strange coming from someone claiming political parties had no control who could be on a ballot using their name, and now you want to stop a citizen from appearing with his registered party.

Tiny parties are not a problem. I don't see the need to try to make them invisible or more difficult to exist.

If you want to make rules for parties, male rules for big ones. Why not forbid them to run primaries to choose one canddiate for a race, that way every party member could have the right to run in any election with the party's name. It could produce races with more candidates and offer more choices to citizens.     

I'm going to agree with Poirot here. Having individual parties is what makes Atlasia interesting, and if this passes, parties like the Liberal Democrats would effectively, in terms of elections, cease to exist.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 01:18:43 AM »

I'm going to agree with Poirot here. Having individual parties is what makes Atlasia interesting, and if this passes, parties like the Liberal Democrats would effectively, in terms of elections, cease to exist.

You could offer an amendment to adjust that portion. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 11:57:56 AM »

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »

Not sure if this is protocol since this amendment hasn't been adopted yet, but here's an amendment to the amendment:
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 04:15:41 AM »

As long as they don't overlap, it is possible to do multiple amendments and even multiple votes at the same time. It is also possible to split an amendment and declare half friendly and half hostile and proceed with a vote on the hostile portion while the firendly one gets the 24 hours treatment. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 12:28:36 PM »

Oakvale's amendment is adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2018, 02:34:46 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

Sponsor Feedback: No Feedback Given
Status: A vote is now open on the above amendment, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 03:38:49 PM »

Aye.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 12:40:06 PM »

Come on, that PM only had 4 links in it!

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »

Aye
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix