If Non Binary Genders are Real and Just as Valid as Man and Woman...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:17:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If Non Binary Genders are Real and Just as Valid as Man and Woman...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: If Non Binary Genders are Real and Just as Valid as Man and Woman...  (Read 10620 times)
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2018, 09:03:51 AM »

Okay, I wasn't trying to talk about transgender people (by which I mean ftm or mtf), which is a different topic for a different day, but it still falls within the gender binary.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't deny that some people don't feel like they fit in with either gender.  That doesn't change the fact that man and woman are the only genders that are real.

why do u say that man and women are the only ones? sure they're the two main ones, but why can't there be things in the middle?

Because man and woman are based on biology while the other ones are based on feelings.  Many of these non-binary genders are also exclusive to certain cultures.  If they were real genders they would be universal.

1. they are not based on "feelings," they are based on psychology, which is real and biological (your brain is biology). they are also immutable, and your conception of yourself as a man or woman is psychological and real regardless of whether it matches your sex.
2. if you agree that non-binary genders exist in other cultures, why can't it exist in ours? if you respond that it doesn't currently exist, then why can't it exist in the future? culture changes, after all.

1: Man and woman are based on biology, not psychology, and the two genders have different anatomy.  The different anatomy is essential for the continuation of the human species.  The only social construct is the name we give for the two human genders.  Whether one says man and woman, homem and mulher, or 男 and 女,they refer to the same exact concept.  If someone doesn't act the way that the surrounding believes someone of their gender should behave, that doesn't mean they have a new gender.  If someone's brain tells them that they have some other gender, then they have a mental disorder and need to seek help immediately.  Lying to them to make them happy will not help.

2: The non-binary genders are fake in all cultures.  I was saying that if two-spirit was a real gender, then why does it only exist in a handful of cultures.  Truth is universal.  Male and female are universal.

Spot on.  You hit the nail on the head.

But he's not right. The only reason agree with his unsubstantiated opinions is your preconceived notions, not the scientific evidence, which does in fact show that there is a neurological component to transgenderism and that there can be discrepancies between the brain's self-actualisation and the sex due to the manner in which embryos develop. He is also incorrect in his implication that transition is not a useful treatment for GD. Indeed it is very rare for any mental illness to have a reliable a cure as transition is for GD (especially if puberty is repressed) and the studies that flag problems mainly point to the likes of Carpetbagger refusing to accept a social transition.

You actually admit that it is a mental illness?  Interesting.  Well, I don't think Gender Dysphoria ought to be pandered to.  But I can see that there is no point to this argument.  I don't think either of us will convince the other.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2018, 10:54:12 AM »

Gender dysphoria as defined in the DSM-5 is a mental disorder. The pathological part is the distress or impairment it causes, not being transgender. People run from the label of mental illness because the public often associates mental illness with delusional behaviour, which does not relate to the trans experience or its cures.

As for this argument, and your cowardly capitulation, well, I make no apologies for basing my opinions on science rather than the ravings of some Kentucky halfwit.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2018, 01:07:17 PM »

I don't know if someone has already come up with this topic: The German "Supreme Court" declared last fall that a third gender exists and that intersex people shan't be discriminated against. Parents of intersex babies aren't allowed anymore ever since to have their children's sex changed.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »

Atlas Logic: If a man says he's a cat, and feels like a cat, and wants to be a cat...he's a cat. To say otherwise and to deny that fact is just plain bigotry.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »

Important: even if you don't believe transgender people are real, here's an indisputable fact: Accepting trans people reduces their rates of suicide and depression. Trans people who are loved and accepted live normal, happy lives. Rejecting them or trying to change them (which isn't possible!) leads to worse health outcomes, quality of life. So if you wanna save lives regardless of your opinion, LOVE and ACCEPT trans folk!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies