Vilsack and the Iowa Caucuses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:10:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Vilsack and the Iowa Caucuses
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vilsack and the Iowa Caucuses  (Read 2465 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2005, 11:59:47 PM »

Governor Tom Vilsack stayed neutral during the Iowa Caucuses but did we ever find out who he ended up supporting? I know that during a caucus, one must actually get up in support of their candidate and "caucus" with others. Unless Vilsack skipped (which I highly doubt), it should be recorded which way he went. Any idea anyone?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 12:17:33 AM »

Governor Tom Vilsack stayed neutral during the Iowa Caucuses but did we ever find out who he ended up supporting? I know that during a caucus, one must actually get up in support of their candidate and "caucus" with others. Unless Vilsack skipped (which I highly doubt), it should be recorded which way he went. Any idea anyone?

Good question Phil, I'd be curious to see who he supported to. Odds are its Kerry.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 12:18:00 AM »

Well, he endorsed Kerry later on, but his wife endorsed and campaigned for Kerry, appearing at rallies, in ads, etc. So basically, she was kind of Vilsack's mouthpiece.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 07:47:04 AM »

yes; his wife was a firm Kerry supporter; he was officially neutral. After it became clear that Kerry was going to win, I believe he spent a night with the Vilsacks in Iowa?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 10:03:25 AM »

I knew about Christie Vilsack and figured that he put her up to it since he wouldn't look that great coming out with an endorsement.

I also believe that the only reason why Vilsack was on the short list was because of what his wife did for Kerry. That endorsement kept him alive. Other than that, I don't think he was a serious candidate for the VP spot.

I'm just surprised that his support during the caucus wasn't eventually made public.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies