is the whole idea of salvation through faith alone evil?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:48:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  is the whole idea of salvation through faith alone evil?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: is the whole idea of salvation through faith alone evil?  (Read 2633 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »

Christianity at its core requires faith that God loves you. Without that, no apologetic argument will ever suffice.

Does God's love for me justify his existence as a totalitarian leader, though?
catographer
Megameow
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2018, 05:08:02 PM »

The idea is that you will be held accountable for your sins, but if you have faith then you will not perish.  

I think it makes more sense to say something like... upon death you are released from the limitations of this physical world and you instantly come to understand the consequences of your actions and the weight of that falls on you.  Without Christ, it would cause you to fall forever in anguish... but he will lift you and unburden those sins from you.  

But this requires some things that are not popular in most Christian doctrines:

1.  Everyone has every chance to go to "heaven"

2.  Only the truly evil or bitter will choose to fall/perish even after knowing the truth

3.  It's not like God is standing at the gate looking over your record on some computer and deciding whehter you get in or not.  Everybody can get in.  That's 100% up to you and you will never have to worry about "not having had the chance to believe".

if someone is confronted with the story of Jesus but finds it unconvincing, then I'd argue that they never "knew" or "rejected" the "truth" because the "truth" was never true to begin with, according to the well-intentioned individual who found it unconvincing. christianity explicitly seeks to punish people for not believing in supernatural powers, instead of actually being fair to humans and taking into account that human reason ("God" given human reason, after all) prevents us from believing that.
The point is that in the end Jesus Christ would make the story so convincing that only the truly evil would still reject it.

I know this sounds rather convenient.  We want to believe salvation is something the "truly worthy" deserve... but it's not about deserve.  I believe Jesus died for the scum.  How our Father sorts it all out will be miraculous in and of itself... but he will and has it figured out.

I'm a believer in unconditional love and grace.  In so many ways, that's harder to believe in than law and order.

unconditional love and grace would be nice, wouldnt it. but Christianity doesnt do that, it condemns most of the world population to burn for eternity. god's judgment is no more fair in christianity than the people's judgment.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2018, 07:03:28 PM »

No, salvation through works is evil.  Salvation through faith alone is scriptural, and therefore not evil.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies