Au Canada (Mock Parliament revival, sign-up and rules)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:27:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Au Canada (Mock Parliament revival, sign-up and rules)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Au Canada (Mock Parliament revival, sign-up and rules)  (Read 5856 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »

I was recruited by Not_Madigan on the discord, so I'll give it my best!

Can I play as Cam Broten and lead the NDP as if I were elected from Saskatoon West?
Welcome! My only issue with that is Broten would be a first term MP becoming party leader in the middle of an election campaign. Do you have a compelling reason for why Broten would become leader; or, alternatively, is there another NDP figure you'd be willing to play as for this round?

Perhaps since he was the leader of the Saskatchewan NDP, he already had some leadership experience and was thus chosen?

If not, I could try to find another character.
The thing is, NDP has something like 10 seats in the provincial parliament. I'd prefer you play as someone more experienced, at least for this round, but if you look and there isn't anyone else you feel comfortable with, I can approve Broten (just be aware that there will probably be questions about his readiness to serve as PM).
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2018, 02:55:48 PM »

Can I play as Cam Broten and lead the NDP as if I were elected from Saskatoon West?
Welcome! My only issue with that is Broten would be a first term MP becoming party leader in the middle of an election campaign. Do you have a compelling reason for why Broten would become leader; or, alternatively, is there another NDP figure you'd be willing to play as for this round?

Perhaps since he was the leader of the Saskatchewan NDP, he already had some leadership experience and was thus chosen?

The thing is, NDP has something like 10 seats in the provincial parliament. I'd prefer you play as someone more experienced, at least for this round, but if you look and there isn't anyone else you feel comfortable with, I can approve Broten (just be aware that there will probably be questions about his readiness to serve as PM).

I'll play as Niki Ashton, then.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »

I'll play as Niki Ashton, then.
Lovely; welcome aboard! Cheesy

Since you just joined, the lack of an NDP schedule/debate responses for Turn Two won't be counted against you. Turn Three should be up later today.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2018, 09:01:06 PM »

Excellent work this round, everyone! I will not have time to finish grading your submissions tonight, so expect Turn 5 to open sometime tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon. By that schedule, Turn 5 would conclude at the end of the day Friday, and then it's election night.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2018, 02:52:22 AM »

My personal schedule has been getting more and more busy recently, so I may have to quit.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2018, 07:51:45 AM »

My personal schedule has been getting more and more busy recently, so I may have to quit.
Yeah actually, I will have to quit.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »

Welp we need a new Liberal Leader Tongue
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2018, 11:25:32 AM »

I would ruin the Liberal campaign if I were to get the top job. I'm not running for the leadership.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2018, 02:28:44 PM »

Yeah actually, I will have to quit.
Sad

Very sorry to see you go, bruhgmger; always feel free to join again later if your schedule changes.

And with that, we need someone to fill in as Trudeau for Turn Five—some roles are of negotiable importance, but we really can't do without a leader for the governing party. Interested parties should contact me directly or post in this thread.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »

One thing is certain: the next fourteen days are slated to be among the most interesting weeks in the modern history of Canadian politics.

Little did we know how interesting...
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2018, 04:30:14 PM »

I can do Trudeau if noone else is interested.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2018, 05:15:57 PM »

Excellent, welcome aboard!

In that case, Turn 5 will be up presently.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2018, 12:13:27 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

While I said many things, the word "proud" was not one of them. Tongue
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2018, 12:21:50 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

While I said many things, the word "proud" was not one of them. Tongue

I'll remove the quotes.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2018, 09:57:56 PM »

Trudeau issues a tongue lashing on the Tories for their recent lies on the economy at a rally in British Columbia

As I've brought up before, economists have calculated that Steven Harper was the worst Prime Minister since World War Two on the economy. Today, our good friend Mr Scheer has decided to admit that unwittingly. He has attacked the state of the economy and blamed me for it. What he forgets is these recessions that we are recovering from occured under Harper. It is the Liberal party which is picking up the pieces.

He also spews an outright lie on taxes, saying that a Liberal government will charge exorbitant tax rates. This is simply false. Did he forget the tax cuts we passed for 9 million Canadians in December? We are clear where we stand on this. The only people who will see a tax increase is the top 1%, its time they paid their fair share.

What Scheer and the Tories clearly fail to understand is that we need investment in our economy to bring it back to speed. If you wanna see the results of the Tories' tax cuts, look no further than Harper. He cut taxes on the rich and he ended up with a terrible economic record.

OOC: IIRC, the turn ended Friday, I received an extension to post until tonight because I was busy all throughout the week.

Campaigns in real life happen in real time, where campaigns can react to what the other campaign is doing. Its fair that if you get extra time, everyone else gets extra time so they can respond to you, otherwise that gives you an unfair advantage of you being able to get the final word on everything.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2018, 10:10:50 PM »

Trudeau issues a tongue lashing on the Tories for their recent lies on the economy at a rally in British Columbia

As I've brought up before, economists have calculated that Steven Harper was the worst Prime Minister since World War Two on the economy. Today, our good friend Mr Scheer has decided to admit that unwittingly. He has attacked the state of the economy and blamed me for it. What he forgets is these recessions that we are recovering from occured under Harper. It is the Liberal party which is picking up the pieces.

He also spews an outright lie on taxes, saying that a Liberal government will charge exorbitant tax rates. This is simply false. Did he forget the tax cuts we passed for 9 million Canadians in December? We are clear where we stand on this. The only people who will see a tax increase is the top 1%, its time they paid their fair share.

What Scheer and the Tories clearly fail to understand is that we need investment in our economy to bring it back to speed. If you wanna see the results of the Tories' tax cuts, look no further than Harper. He cut taxes on the rich and he ended up with a terrible economic record.

OOC: IIRC, the turn ended Friday, I received an extension to post until tonight because I was busy all throughout the week.

Campaigns in real life happen in real time, where campaigns can react to what the other campaign is doing. Its fair that if you get extra time, everyone else gets extra time so they can respond to you, otherwise that gives you an unfair advantage of you being able to get the final word on everything.

That's fair. I was only stating that because I didn't know how the extensions applied. Tongue
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2018, 09:07:45 AM »

Ouch.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »

Welp, alright.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2018, 03:06:39 PM »

Ouch. Hats off to the Grits, I guess.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2018, 07:24:09 PM »

All that effort, too. Ouch.

I shouldn't have spent that much time writing those speeches.

/shrug
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »

I saw the Ontario result, and I'm like "Grits probably have got a landslide going on here"
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2018, 07:57:28 PM »

I saw the Ontario result, and I'm like "Grits probably have got a landslide going on here"

Saddest part is, both of the people who played as Trudeau put in like half the effort (or even less) than I did. Yes, I messed up once or twice, but at least I took a risk and wrote all those speeches (and advertisements and the rest).
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2018, 10:31:49 PM »

Actually no, they aren't on course for a landslide, at least not yet. In the actual 2015 election the Liberals won 155 seats outside the West. In this game, with all but the Western Provinces in, the Liberals have 164 seats.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2018, 10:43:50 PM »

Saddest part is, both of the people who played as Trudeau put in like half the effort (or even less) than I did. Yes, I messed up once or twice, but at least I took a risk and wrote all those speeches (and advertisements and the rest).

Just my two cents since I have been watching from afar (I'm delighted Truman found my previous Mock Parliament model useful, he's done a brilliant job), but a reality with these games is that the amount of effort is not always equal to the results, particularly if mistakes are made (and we all make our mistakes in these political games, none of us are infallible).

That can be a problem when one is a GM, because when one sees enthusiasm and a lot of effort put into something one does wish to reward those players who put the extra work or are just great at playing, and yet one must strive towards being more impartial and judging performances on their IC merits or mistakes.

Long story short, I hope this particular game continues to do well, and that winning or losing players are not discouraged by results. After all, it wouldn't be an accurate political simulation without defeat or loss.

(PS: Having said that, I was privately but strongly cheering for wxtransit and the Conservative)
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2018, 10:47:59 PM »

Just my two cents since I have been watching from afar (I'm delighted Truman found my previous Mock Parliament model useful, he's done a brilliant job), but a reality with these games is that the amount of effort is not always equal to the results, particularly if mistakes are made (and we all make our mistakes in these political games, none of us are infallible).

That can be a problem when one is a GM, because when one sees enthusiasm and a lot of effort put into something one does wish to reward those players who put the extra work or are just great at playing, and yet one must strive towards being more impartial and judging performances on their IC merits or mistakes.

Long story short, I hope this particular game continues to do well, and that winning or losing players are not discouraged by results. After all, it wouldn't be an accurate political simulation without defeat or loss.

(PS: Having said that, I was privately but strongly cheering for wxtransit and the Conservative)

Fair enough, I've now had to realize that challenge over the past few days now moderating my first game. Tongue

(Also, thanks Wink)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies