Report: Pentagon planning grand military parade for Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:52:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Report: Pentagon planning grand military parade for Trump
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Report: Pentagon planning grand military parade for Trump  (Read 7375 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2018, 09:39:05 PM »

If the purpose is to intimidate a weaker enemy into not doing something stupid, we have better ways to do that than with a parade.

I'm all for MAGA - Make America Great Again.  What Trump does not seem to get is that it is more important that America remain a GOOD nation and celebrate THAT above all.

He doesn't get that at all, FB, and that's his fundamental problem as president and a human being. In everything and every manner in every shape and every form on every decision in every day, it. Is. All. About. The. Donald. Even by the standards of other presidents who have to be raging egomaniacs to some degree to try leading the greatest country on Earth, he is in a class of his own compared to the other 44 combined.

Collude with a foreign government to make me president? It benefits me, so do it. Pass a tax bill? Would make me, my family, and my Mar-A-Lago Social Circle more money?! Does a journalist or politician criticize me for something? They're the worst! Absolutely sad! A failure!! Do they then change their tune and praise me? They're good people. Longtime friend!

We haven't had someone this mentally deranged is President since the Watergate days.

Nixon was many things, but being mentally deranged wasn't one of them.  
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2018, 09:45:43 PM »

If the purpose is to intimidate a weaker enemy into not doing something stupid, we have better ways to do that than with a parade.

I'm all for MAGA - Make America Great Again.  What Trump does not seem to get is that it is more important that America remain a GOOD nation and celebrate THAT above all.

He doesn't get that at all, FB, and that's his fundamental problem as president and a human being. In everything and every manner in every shape and every form on every decision in every day, it. Is. All. About. The. Donald. Even by the standards of other presidents who have to be raging egomaniacs to some degree to try leading the greatest country on Earth, he is in a class of his own compared to the other 44 combined.

Collude with a foreign government to make me president? It benefits me, so do it. Pass a tax bill? Would make me, my family, and my Mar-A-Lago Social Circle more money?! Does a journalist or politician criticize me for something? They're the worst! Absolutely sad! A failure!! Do they then change their tune and praise me? They're good people. Longtime friend!

We haven't had someone this mentally deranged is President since the Watergate days.

au contraire. Every recently detailed biography of him shows him to be a painfully neurotically paranoid individual most of his life even before he became vice president. The presidency only exacerbated this. The Watergate tapes show that he was terminally unwinding in a way that the 25th amendment was actually being discussed behind the scenes by the Watergate committee.

Mind you, he was nowhere near as bad as Trump. That's a very low bar, but at least Nixon was, generally speaking, the mental health equivalent of a functional alcoholic until things got really bad in the months prior to resignation.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2018, 02:33:32 AM »

au contraire. Every recently detailed biography of him shows him to be a painfully neurotically paranoid individual most of his life even before he became vice president. The presidency only exacerbated this. The Watergate tapes show that he was terminally unwinding in a way that the 25th amendment was actually being discussed behind the scenes by the Watergate committee.

Mind you, he was nowhere near as bad as Trump. That's a very low bar, but at least Nixon was, generally speaking, the mental health equivalent of a functional alcoholic until things got really bad in the months prior to resignation.

I mean point taken, but mental health wise functional alcoholic isn't really"mentally deranged". I agree with you in that Nixon was on the verge of a nervous breakdown in the period immediately precedding his resignation, but most of the behind the scenes stuff before that looked to be more an example of someone who was odd and jaded in private, which aren't things I'd say are insane things.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2018, 03:23:45 AM »

I mean point taken, but mental health wise functional alcoholic isn't really"mentally deranged". I agree with you in that Nixon was on the verge of a nervous breakdown in the period immediately precedding his resignation, but most of the behind the scenes stuff before that looked to be more an example of someone who was odd and jaded in private, which aren't things I'd say are insane things.

My comparison to a functional alcoholic was that he had serious issues throughout his lifetime, but kept them together enough that he was able to function and even be elected president without professional treatment. It bubble to the surface periodically, Emily became up persistent issue near the end of his presidency.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2018, 03:51:31 AM »

"Do you know of Dr. Freud, Mr. Trump? His ideas about the male preoccupation with size might be of particular interest to you." Little Marco might have been right about Mr. Trump's little hands.

Seriously, this shows such weakness in this man. A strong nation (and its leader) would not show off its grandiosity to the rest of the world. Such an embarrassment.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2018, 06:57:49 AM »

Intimidation is often a one-time trick. It might work once and then it fails at times, and the failure is even more harmful.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Donald Trump is a draft-dodger who in his senescence loves military shtick.  The timing is horrid in view of the 100th anniversary  of the end of World War I, a war made more horrible because of militarized cultures that played a game of chicken that got more destructive with every display  of military might before the war.

No0vember 11, 2018 is more fittingly a day in which to recognize the danger of saber-rattling, the pointless slaughters in a war of which none can yet make historical sense, and the general desirability  of peace -- instead  of the glorification of an  unpopular President with a display  of military prowess. 
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2018, 07:58:50 AM »

"Do you know of Dr. Freud, Mr. Trump? His ideas about the male preoccupation with size might be of particular interest to you." Little Marco might have been right about Mr. Trump's little hands.

I guarantee you there's no problem.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2018, 08:08:41 AM »

Lovely idea!
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2018, 03:19:15 PM »

Why?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2018, 03:29:37 PM »

It will make America patriotic again.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2018, 03:36:47 PM »

How is that necessarily a good thing? Besides, this is more authoritarian nationalism than "patriotism", and last I checked my history books, that kind of thing didn't and doesn't end well for a lot of people - as you of all people should know. 
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2018, 04:54:18 PM »

There will be a lot of white nationalists showing up to this parade.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2018, 05:11:15 PM »

How is that necessarily a good thing? Besides, this is more authoritarian nationalism than "patriotism", and last I checked my history books, that kind of thing didn't and doesn't end well for a lot of people - as you of all people should know. 

Is Emmanuel Macron an "authoritarian nationalist" for holding a huge military parade on Bastille Day (where the visiting Trump got his idea)?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2018, 05:11:30 PM »

Would that be patriotic in the 'stage a citizens revolt against an ineffective government headed by a madman and run for the benefit of a small class of elites' sense or the 'nation rallies together with the rest of the world to smash the fascists and their ranting racist leader and his criminal cronies' patriotic? Just asking.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2018, 05:54:31 PM »

Would he also like to have the band playing the 1959 Ben Hur theme as the troops are marching by?  Roll Eyes

Cool music!

I put the rubbish out in my leafy culdesac with this music playing in the background. The only military admirer I could find was my neighbours cat Bruce, who meowed, then went back to his business. In cat language, I am pretty sure Bruce was saying "Cool music!"

Trumpy would choose something much more contemporary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8ab2vYiG2M

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2018, 06:48:14 PM »

Is Emmanuel Macron an "authoritarian nationalist" for holding a huge military parade on Bastille Day (where the visiting Trump got his idea)?

That's a tradition in France. What Donald Trump is doing is contrary to American tradition. America has never been raped by an occupying power in whole (WWII) or part (WWI) as has France, which may contribute to some  of the insecurity of the French psyche. But remember -- the day  of the parade will be the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War, a war  whose participants could rarely justify after the fact.

Donald Trump is an authoritarian nationalist in a country in which such is contrary to popular norms. The Trump agenda practically requires a dictatorship to establish
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2018, 07:35:21 PM »

And it's being "postponed"

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-trump-military-parade/pentagon-postpones-military-parade-in-washington-until-next-year-idUSKBN1L200H?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2018, 07:38:12 PM »

LMAO
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2018, 08:17:43 PM »

I posted this Orwell quote before and i'll post it again since its relevant here:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2018, 07:51:11 AM »

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/17/trump-cancels-military-parade-fighter-jets-783035

Parade's now cancelled.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2018, 07:57:18 AM »

I'm sure he will be praised from the right for saving money. 
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2018, 07:58:07 AM »

Thank you Mr. Trump for your fiscal responsibility!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2018, 08:07:22 AM »

What parade?  We never said anything about a parade.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2018, 09:13:43 AM »

Ah but of course
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2018, 10:57:54 AM »

Has Trump tweeted yet about what a hero he is for cutting this wasteful government spending (that he demanded)?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies