Best way to heal a broken heart?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:30:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Best way to heal a broken heart?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best way to heal a broken heart?  (Read 768 times)
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2018, 01:41:41 PM »

Im just turning here for advice since i dont wanna look like a puss to my friends. But i just lost the first girl I had real feelings for in a long time and idk what to do. Whats the best way to forget and move on?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 01:50:22 PM »

Watch some sad movies and cry it out.  It’s cathartic.  Don’t be afraid to be a puss in front of your friends.  You can express your sh**tty feelings in a way that a guy friend can understand.  If you can, talk to a sister or mom...

But most importantly...time heals all and this, too, shall pass.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:22:48 PM »

If there's one time no guy is gonna blame you for being a p*(&, it's after a break-up. 

But yeah, no easy answers here. Just something that's gotta be figured out.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 05:11:34 PM »

As a wise man once said;

"Booty is the answer to all of your problems, Cleetus"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 05:18:03 PM »

time and/or another girl.  The heartbreak you have has been the inspiration for artists for as long as there has been art.  Start there.  Doing art takes time, chicks dig art.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:40:09 AM »

a defibrillator
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 08:42:13 AM »

Bourbon?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 09:58:56 AM »

Not sure if this is good advice, but tell yourself you have X-amount of time to mourn and cry it out. After that X-amount of time has passed you need to get yourself up and get busy doing other things. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to be chasing after any other girls yet, but you will feel much better when you are distracted doing something positive in your life.

YES!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 11:08:04 AM »

Everyone is different, but I personally preferred distraction (hanging with friends, FUNNY movies/shows, playing sports/games and, yes, drinking).  Other than that, it just takes time.  Also, as much as this might suck/hurt/whatever, nothing is really going to change until you see her differently.  Whether you see her as not as amazing as you initially thought, realize you two weren't a good pair, find a new girl and see her as "old news," etc., you're just going to have to find a way to change your perspective of her.  It'll just take time, but I can promise you that 1) you'll be a stronger person for this, and 2) it's going to get better, probably sooner than you think.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 10:20:20 AM »

Im just turning here for advice since i dont wanna look like a puss to my friends. But i just lost the first girl I had real feelings for in a long time and idk what to do. Whats the best way to forget and move on?

People (like me) have been pondering that questions for millennia.  The best advice I can give you on this matter comes from classic rocker Steve Winwood...."roll with it". 

That said, some days will be better than others.  I try to keep myself busy, and my brain on other things.  Like I said...."roll with it".  Smiley
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 11:54:57 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2018, 11:58:39 AM by HillGoose »

(my advice might sound dumb)

find someone new! it really will help u forget. that's what I always did.

so like if u like irl stuff, try to go to parties or clubs, or talk to ppl at school about animals, that's a good way to meet someone.

if u like online stuff, i used okcupid and it was easy as hell. on okcupid just be urself and message anyone u like.

also if u dont have a favorite animal u should take a look at these ones:

Canadian Geese
Komodo Dragon
Africanized Honeybees
Okapi
The Bloop thing (nobody really knows what it is thats why its a good convo starter)
River dolphins
Turtles
Octopus

so yeah those r some good 1s
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 03:37:08 PM »

I had that less than a month ago, when my first boyfriend broke up with me. Granted, this is very personal and everyone deals with it differently buy:

Crying it out and mourning helps. It's cathartic, like Snowguy said- if I didn't break out crying like I never did immediately after the talk, I'm seriously not sure what I would've done with all that pain. Try to figure out which of your friends are truly, seriously supportive and talk to them- talking to friends truly helped me, and basically saved me a few times from doing something stupid like sending him a message. This is priceless. If there's no one irl you feel you can trust with your grief, there's no shame in turning to people in the internet, ie PMing people on Atlas, and I'm sure that many posters here (me included) would be glad to talk to listen to you.
What I found useful in getting up is griping an emotion other than sadness- for me, it was anger and determination: some "friend'' from univeristy posted a very hearty collage of pictures of him and my ex on his instagram story days after the breakup, which got me seething. Then there were the final exams, which I decided that I will succeed in and study for. If you have anything important take it up use it and work hard for it, and if the circumstances of the breakup give you reason for anger, don't be afraid to feel it (as long as you don't act on it, obviously).
Finally, at first you will only remember all the sweet memories with her, everything good that you will miss. It's understandable and hard, but try to think about the less-good things, the reasons for the breakup. In the end, whatever the case- whether you broke up with her or she with you- you deserve better, someone who will feel the same for you as you do for her. Try to tell yourself that.
As for a different girl, like a few posters suggested- personally, I found that impossible before I got over him. One night stands will just feel bad, and your heart is unlikely to grow attached to a new girl before the old one is no longer inside it.

Edit: I see that 10 days had passed since you posted that, but oh well, hopefully some of that will still be useful Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »

Determine that romantic pursuits are a waste of time and dedicate yourself to athletics, reading, board games, and professional advancement.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 03:53:02 PM »

Determine that romantic pursuits are a waste of time and dedicate yourself to athletics, reading, board games, and professional advancement.

are you saying that bcuz u actually think romance is a waste of time or are u saying that bcuz u can't get anyone to date u?

i could give u some tips
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 04:49:22 PM »

Crying releases built up stress hormones through your tears, literally making you feel physically and emotionally better.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 05:47:19 PM »

Other than my brilliant suggestion I think Cath has it right.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 06:20:04 PM »

Maybe it's different for you, but if I didn't have a SO I'd be extremely lonely and probably much more depressed than I am now, even if I had a successful life.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 06:30:48 PM »

Maybe it's different for you, but if I didn't have a SO I'd be extremely lonely and probably much more depressed than I am now, even if I had a successful life.

I have housemates, as it stands. I generally work 44 hours a week, alongside taking about 6 hours of class, studying, and working out. The weekends are for taking care of classwork and my second job. It's a matter partly of introverted disposition, partly of convenience, that I socialize with a relatively small group of people. Experiences in undergrad produced a great amount of... let's say confusion that consumed considerable mental and emotional energy. From that standpoint, it's not worth breaking out of my selected social territory at this point in life just to complicate emotions. From that standpoint, it becomes amusing to see the extent to which other friends of mine might either whine about not having been laid since X, or about failed attempts at romance/releasing reproductive urges. Asexual scholarship is far more comfortable.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 09:35:36 PM »

I have housemates, as it stands. I generally work 44 hours a week, alongside taking about 6 hours of class, studying, and working out. The weekends are for taking care of classwork and my second job. It's a matter partly of introverted disposition, partly of convenience, that I socialize with a relatively small group of people. Experiences in undergrad produced a great amount of... let's say confusion that consumed considerable mental and emotional energy. From that standpoint, it's not worth breaking out of my selected social territory at this point in life just to complicate emotions. From that standpoint, it becomes amusing to see the extent to which other friends of mine might either whine about not having been laid since X, or about failed attempts at romance/releasing reproductive urges. Asexual scholarship is far more comfortable.

Emotional intelligence will get you farther in life than intellectual accomplishments. Getting laid or even going on dates regularly will keep your social skills well oiled so when you do get job interviews or try for career advancements, you don't ruin it by being akward.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 05:53:12 PM »

Glue it back together
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 06:35:35 PM »

im not sure i agree with that lol. i met a girl in 2014 and had a summer fling with her and even when we broke up we just kept getting back together and breaking up or not really breaking up, the on again/off again thing gets tiring after a while and makes you wonder where you really stand with the person.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 06:36:27 PM »

You're not alone, I'm having a really hard time too, my heart is broken as well.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 01:54:12 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2018, 01:57:43 AM by Meclazine »

You just need a female friend to rib you about your new found solitude and lack of attractiveness to the opposite sex. Once you endure this for a long enough period, you wont take yourself so seriously.

I know that sounds cruel, but people feeling sorry for you is the worst option because you wont snap out of it.

Human company in a different format is all you need.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2018, 01:30:49 AM »

Was coming here to post just that.

This, and a rebound fling. Just don't transfer your feelings to the new one. Keep it at friend with benefits.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies