Moon Jae-in invited to visit Pyongyang
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:26:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Moon Jae-in invited to visit Pyongyang
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Moon Jae-in invited to visit Pyongyang  (Read 341 times)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2018, 01:05:35 PM »
« edited: February 10, 2018, 01:08:50 PM by AndyHogan14 »

Kim Jong-un's sister invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I doubt that this actually happens, but it would be huge for inter-Korean relations if the South Korean head of state visited Pyongyang.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »

Kim Jong-un's sister invites South Korean president to Pyongyang
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I doubt that this actually happens, but it would be huge for inter-Korean relations if the South Korean head of state visited Pyongyang.

Won't be the first time.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 02:53:27 PM »

I assume that it would be...the article says that this was the first time since the Korean War that a member of the ruling Kim family has visited South Korea, so I'd assume that no ROK leader has visited Pyongyang.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 04:35:33 PM »

I assume that it would be...the article says that this was the first time since the Korean War that a member of the ruling Kim family has visited South Korea, so I'd assume that no ROK leader has visited Pyongyang.

The first ever Inter-Korean summit since the Korean War ended was held in June 2000 between Kim Dae-jung and Kim Jong-il.

Roh Moo-hyun attended the second and so far last Inter-Korean Summit in Pyeongyang in October 2007.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 03:09:28 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2018, 03:11:09 PM by Collor 2020 »

Kim Jong-un making a trip would be really huge, but I'm not sure he actually made any foreign trip so far (there was a rumor he'll attend a Moscow victory 2015 parade, but it was quickly denied.) I'm also not sure if Kim Jong-il visited any countries as leader beyond Russia and China. They have old Kim Yong-nam (no relation) to do such ceremonial stuff like paying official visits or accepting ambassadorial credentials. I believe Kim Yong-nam is the highest North Korean official to actually visit the south. He is thus frequently called "ceremonial head of state", although he's being explicitly outranked by Ki Jong-un due to the latter new post of "State Affairs Commission Chairman". Best part, when Kim Jong-il died, Armenia offered official condolences to Kim Il-sung who, while being cold dead, is still the "Eternal President".

Kind of similar to Iran, as Khamenei never left the country since becoming the Supreme Leader, and rarely even meet with foreign dignitaries, leaving protocolar matters to President (President, though elected, is not an official head of state).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies