Fair redistricting: New York
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:23:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Fair redistricting: New York
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Author Topic: Fair redistricting: New York  (Read 25433 times)
cvparty
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 03:34:59 PM »

All the yes ones all look more or less the same and Uon is right about southern oxford and southern franklin
I know I was really talking about the northern parts. I especially like Starpaul20’s way of executing the split. muon’s map isn’t bad but I want to narrow down the maps for the final round
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 12:09:01 AM »

All the yes ones all look more or less the same and Uon is right about southern oxford and southern franklin
I know I was really talking about the northern parts. I especially like Starpaul20’s way of executing the split. muon’s map isn’t bad but I want to narrow down the maps for the final round

But virtually nobody lives in the northern parts of Oxford and Franklin, though they are certainly larger by area. Are you suggesting that to curry your vote on future states we should favor the interests of the larger proportion of geographical area rather than the larger proportion of population in a county?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 12:43:52 AM »

4) Second round: The remaining maps are ranked à la instant runoff and the most popular map wins

I suggest that Condorcet be used. Each panel member ranks the proposals, just like under IRV (all proposals must be ranked). You then calculate the pairwise preference for each combination of two proposals. (e.g. how many panelists prefer proposal A to proposal B, and vice versa). The proposal that has more support is considered the "winner" for that pair. You can keep standings, and the proposal with the best record wins. This will help out a proposal that is everyone's second choice, but nobody's first choice, which is eliminated under IRV.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 02:29:25 AM »

Starpaul20 - Y
Torie - Y
Singletxguyforfun - Y
TimTurner et al. - Y
muon - Y
LimoLiberal: N
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 06:11:49 AM »

Starpaul20 - Y
Torie - Y
Singletxguyforfun - Y
TimTurner et al. - Y
muon - Y
LimoLiberal: N

cvparty
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2018, 09:20:23 AM »

But virtually nobody lives in the northern parts of Oxford and Franklin, though they are certainly larger by area. Are you suggesting that to curry your vote on future states we should favor the interests of the larger proportion of geographical area rather than the larger proportion of population in a county?
That's what I'm generally saying, I think those areas are more similar to the rural, inner ME-02 than coastal, urban ME-01. I mean, in retrospect I prob should've approved it bc the first round should be just to weed out maps that are obviously unfit. It passed anyway though. I would probably rank the other maps above it though. So no, I would probably approve future maps, but rank them lower.

I suggest that Condorcet be used. Each panel member ranks the proposals, just like under IRV (all proposals must be ranked). You then calculate the pairwise preference for each combination of two proposals. (e.g. how many panelists prefer proposal A to proposal B, and vice versa). The proposal that has more support is considered the "winner" for that pair. You can keep standings, and the proposal with the best record wins. This will help out a proposal that is everyone's second choice, but nobody's first choice, which is eliminated under IRV.
maybe, I'll see about it
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2018, 09:28:11 AM »

That's what I'm generally saying, I think those areas are more similar to the rural, inner ME-02 than coastal, urban ME-01. I mean, in retrospect I prob should've approved it bc the first round should be just to weed out maps that are obviously unfit. It passed anyway though. I would probably rank the other maps above it though. So no, I would probably approve future maps, but rank them lower.

maybe, I'll see about it

How’s the voting going for the Maine maps? Right now I’m thinking it’s gonna come down to do we put Lincoln in the 1st and microchop Kennebec or put it in the first and split kennebec in half? Either way I think these maps are all D+7, R+1
cvparty
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 10:04:43 AM »

We are now in the second and final round for Maine! All maps made it except Limo's. Panelists, please clearly rank the five maps from best to least best. CONSIDER FACTORS of compactness, similarity, partisan breakdown, and splits. Once again, links are provided. This is my ranking (coincidentally the original order):
1. Starpaul20
2. Torie
3. Singletxguyforfun
4. TimTurner et al.
5. muon
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2018, 10:16:38 AM »

I’m gonna vote

1. Torie
2. TimTurner et al
3. Singletxguyforfun
4. Starpaul
5. Muon
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 11:49:52 AM »

1. Muon
2. TimTurner et al
3. Singletxguyforfun
4. Torie
5. Starpaul20
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 12:44:49 PM »

I wonder how often we will have a case where 3 different people all submit the same map.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 12:47:08 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2018, 12:49:45 PM by cvparty »

as soon as limo and ted vote and I calculate and announce the winning map! (hopefully today)

I wonder how often we will have a case where 3 different people all submit the same map.
probably often, esp. for small states

1. Muon
2. TimTurner et al
3. Singletxguyforfun
4. Torie
5. Starpaul20
interesting your order is the exact opposite of mine lol, do you mind explaining your vote? just curious
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 01:07:10 PM »

Maine’s just unique cuz of the wedge that everyone lives in. Although I can see it happening in NH, RI, NE, and HI
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 01:12:46 PM »

I like the shapes of Muon's map. In fact, I would have submitted that exact same map if Muon hadn't.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 01:20:15 PM »

The States of Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas will be fun when we get to them.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2018, 02:43:49 PM »

1. muon
2. Starpaul20
3. TimTurner et al
4. Torie
5. Singletxguyforfun
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2018, 03:52:07 PM »

1. Torie
2. Muon
3. Singletxguy
4. TimTurner
5. Starpaul
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2018, 05:14:24 PM »

The Panel has voted and if we're using a ranked choice system here going 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 the results are as follows:

Torie- 13
Muon- 11
TimTurner- 10
Singletxguyforfun- 8
StarPaul- 8

These are unoffical, I may have made a mistake, but if someone can second confirm this, Torie's map is the winner for Maine!

Next we're off to my homestate of New Hampshire!
cvparty
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2018, 05:20:08 PM »

By Condorcet vote, Torie's map is the winner! Feel free to run and verify the calculations.

With Maine finished, New Hampshire submissions are now OPEN! Refer to status details and rules in the OP.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2018, 05:41:52 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2018, 05:47:45 PM by Singletxguyforfun »

Here's my submission for New Hampshire. I kept the more suburban Boston-centric areas together as the 1st, which is Rockingham, the Eastern half of Hillsborough including both Nashua and Manchester, plus two towns in Merrimack (Hooksett is pretty intertwined with Manchester, and part of Manchester can only be accessed from Hooksett. Allentown was just for population). And as you can see there are main highways connecting all of this district. The rest of the state becomes the second, eliminating the annoying zigzagging pattern up to the Presidential Range. The population only deviates +/- 206 and the PVIs are R+2.70 in the first one, and D+2.66 in the second.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2018, 06:06:30 PM »

The logic of the current map is that it unites the areas closer to Vermont. That is a prime divide in the state. I kept that in my revision, but I also put Concord in the 1st to help make both CDs equal in Obama %. I also cut deviation down heavily.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2018, 06:08:19 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2018, 05:15:13 PM by cvparty »

This is basically a compact urban-rural scheme, with the densely populated southeast in the second district. I made this map very carefully from looking election maps, trend maps, and population distribution maps Smiley
PVI is D+0.92 and R+0.98, so v competitive for both
also, anyone who separates Dover and Portsmouth is a MONSTER (jk)
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2018, 06:11:25 PM »

Now that this has started, I stand by this.

Deviation and PVI is in image description.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2018, 06:23:31 PM »

Here'd be my counterproposal. The general leitmotif is Seacoast/Boston Exurbia/Manchester in the 1st, rural NH in the 2nd. Population deviation is +/-178. The 1st has a PVI of R+1.27 and the 2nd has D+1.22, so both would be rather competitive.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2018, 07:53:12 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2018, 07:55:10 PM by Singletxguyforfun »

We’re getting some variety this time unlike in Maine. I can’t wait to see what some of the bigger states will look like. Also, I’m gonna start an MS paint file featuring the winning maps for each state, just to see if our bipartisan and fair maps look better on a national scale
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies