What Hillary Clinton should of done differently
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:46:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What Hillary Clinton should of done differently
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What Hillary Clinton should of done differently  (Read 4102 times)
Hydera

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 07:08:04 PM »

The problem is that it's very easy to write on the internet 'she should appeal to the WWC'' but the issue is that both the Democrats, and the Clintons in 2016 were always going to struggle. The problem was that I think Obama's performance in 2012 (in states like Ohio, Iowa etc) where seen as the norm, rather than the exception for Democrats.

I don't think it's as simple as sending Hillary to rally in Wisconsin; in fact her not campaigning in Wisconsin is very much a symptom of her campaign's defeat, rather than a cause   

If it wasnt for the email server she would had won Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

Other than the 8 year itch that is a big reason why WWC might vote for somebody for two terms and a different party after that despite ideological differences between the two parties.

Her rallies just didnt get a lot of people until the last two weeks and even then she needed help. Lady Gaga in NC, the Obama's, Biden in Philly.  Even Kerry had bigger rallies on average compared to when she campaigned in school gyms most of the time. And it was mainly due to people not having a good image of her and low enthusiasm for her.   Im sure if she didnt have the email server she could had more people come to her rallies but not to the scale that Trump managed to get out of his voters despite both having both 60+ million voters due to low enthusiasm(that she wasnt going to change much in their lives). 
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2018, 08:29:04 PM »

Picked Sherrod Brown as VP.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 03:09:20 AM »

She should have stayed Hillary Rodham and sought her own career in politics, rather than running off to that corrupt southern backwater known as Arkansas with the charming alleged rapist.

An old friend of hers warned Hillary that Bill was bad news, but she replied that he was going places. The 2016 election should dispel anyone of the notion that Hillary got nominated because she has amazing political skills.

I mean, how was she wrong? He ended up president. How can you say he was not going places?

My point was that Hillary was going nowhere without Bill.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 03:15:06 AM »

She should have stayed Hillary Rodham and sought her own career in politics, rather than running off to that corrupt southern backwater known as Arkansas with the charming alleged rapist.

An old friend of hers warned Hillary that Bill was bad news, but she replied that he was going places. The 2016 election should dispel anyone of the notion that Hillary got nominated because she has amazing political skills.

I mean, how was she wrong? He ended up president. How can you say he was not going places?

She was a fast rising star before marrying Bill.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2018, 07:49:12 AM »
« Edited: February 16, 2018, 08:18:21 AM by Statilius the Epicurean »

More than anything she needed a punchy, five second explanation of why she was running. Trump had "Make America Great Again". Why did Hillary want to be President?

She had a lot of disparate wonky policy goals (like $12 minimum wage) but they weren't knitted up into a coherent narrative, a single clear vision of the America which the electorate were voting for. Obama had that. Clinton didn't (other than 'Stop Trump' lol).

If I were advising her with the benefit of hindsight, I would go with 'don't jeopardise the recovery'. Every time you're on TV hammer home the message that electing Trump would risk the economy, backed up with reams of statistics on job and gdp growth etc. since 2009. Keep telling Trump 'the tax cuts you propose didn't work under Bush. We don't want the failed policies which lead to the Great Recession'; keep saying 'I was a part of the administration that added x million jobs in bla bla and I will continue those policies as President' etc. etc..  

Idk, maybe that wouldn't have cut through with a candidate who came off as stilted and inauthentic to voters and had a terrible relationship with the media. Worth a try though.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2018, 09:30:05 AM »

Listen to the Betras memo.
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2018, 01:53:27 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2018, 01:57:50 PM by Illini Moderate »

Without looking back in hindsight, if I were running the campaign I would have:

Had her apologize immediately for the email scandal and keep Bill in check at all times.

Had her run as a more scrappy/dry humored candidate rather than trying to make her come off as a friendly grandmother. While I have met her before (and yes, she really is friendly and funny) I think that she should have ran more with the HBIC attitude and energy.

Changed her campaign slogan to something less vague.

absolutely BLITZED the airwaves with the Trump family portrait sitting in gold chairs in their luxury apartment asking "How is this man the champion of the working class?" Mentioning how he has stiffed working class people for their work on his properties

Sadly, focused slightly less on social issues. (although the media never covered her MANY policies)
Mail-order President
Dark Horse

Political Matrix
E: 0.50, S: -3.00

P P P
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 04:30:17 PM »

Pull an Al Gore and keep Bill out of the campaign.

Focus more on policy rather than attack Trump all the time.

Pick a progressive as your running mate (Warren for example).

And, of course, campaign and appeal more to the Midwestern WWC.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2018, 12:52:03 AM »

Bill wasn't in the campaign that much, and Gore was hurt because he didn't use Bill.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2018, 12:57:11 AM »

I think Sherrod Brown would be better
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2018, 07:40:30 AM »

She never would have gotten a Presidential nomination without him.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »

She wouldn't have been in the Senate without him.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »

Nonsense- she was already being speculated as a future president before marrying him.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2018, 12:13:52 PM »

I would have told her to double-down on moderate suburbanites and picked a GOP'er as VP to build a "unity" ticket against Trump.  She should have openly campaigned calling for tax cuts and not appeared with Obama.

LOL nah.  She should have run as a Democrat, tbh.  I wouldn't have voted for her in this scenario, but she probably would have flipped at least PA, WI and MI. 
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2018, 05:38:08 PM »

Nonsense- she was already being speculated as a future president before marrying him.
In 1974?
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2018, 06:21:16 PM »

Gotten a divorce 20-30 years prior.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »

Remember she went black in Pennsylvania in August, 2016, she should of focused heavily not on FL and OH and campaigned in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylania.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2018, 06:57:35 PM »

1. Put Bill on the sidelines- having a sexual predator( even if he's your husband) campaign for you weakens your attacks on Trumps behavior.
2. Give up the idea of "going for the landslide" you might make Texas closer but you're not going to win it and you're also thowing money into expensive sun belt states that can be better spent on states you actually need to win.
3. Go easy on the celebrity presence: yes you think this helps with millennials but putting a bunch of pampered rich actors with more silicon in them than brains at the forefront of your campaign isn't a good idea when you are constantly being labled out of touch and entitled
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2018, 08:36:14 PM »

You drank too much Hillary kool aide there.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2018, 08:57:05 PM »
« Edited: February 17, 2018, 09:39:48 PM by L.D. Smith, Aggie! It's Real Expenses Again »

1. Put Bill on the sidelines- having a sexual predator( even if he's your husband) campaign for you weakens your attacks on Trumps behavior.
2. Give up the idea of "going for the landslide" you might make Texas closer but you're not going to win it and you're also thowing money into expensive sun belt states that can be better spent on states you actually need to win.
3. Go easy on the celebrity presence: yes you think this helps with millennials but putting a bunch of pampered rich actors with more silicon in them than brains at the forefront of your campaign isn't a good idea when you are constantly being labled out of touch and entitled

1. Except, once again, he was barely involved at all.

And besides, it was his involvement that denied Obama the popular vote in 2008.

And given how many voters made that link, 'ol Trump even said a lot of times, "you should've heard what Bill said" a bunch of times.

Honestly, at that point, there's just no harm.

2. Easy to say in hindsight, but Hillary wasted time in Ohio and Iowa after they were long gone, Trump wasted time in New Mexico, and only Texas and NC [which only applies when looking at investment] were actually wasted in the Sun Belt.  A slight change of wind would've flipped Arizona and Florida for sure and kept the Rust Belt. Georgia was barely even touched, and I'm sorry, but moving it clearly would've been more useful than Ohio, especially given where things are now.

Also, Kerry "only needed Ohio to win", Gore "only needed Florida", the former lost a good chance in Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, and Iowa in this bid. And the latter lost New Hampshire, Missouri, and Tennessee because of this.

This is what happens when you don't "expand the map" and "focus on winning certain states".

By that logic, Trump shouldn't have gone to the Midwest and tried forever and ever to flip Virginia and Colorado back. In fact, that's the exact logic the media used!

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2018, 08:58:54 PM »

Not hired the man who nearly delivered Virginia to Ken Cuccinelli

Not taken August off.

Put the same enthusiasm into the black vote as the Hispanic vote, would've made the difference in Michigan, North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida

Invested into Arizona much earlier (even if she still lost overall, the narrative would've been very different if Trump lost it in an upset despite the Rust Belt [or even if he won the state by only the same amount he won PA/WI/MI])

McAuliffe is a great campaigner, too.

They were gonna can Mook in the primaries after Bernie started surging, but held off because of optics and comparisons to Hillary's 2008 campaign and Mark Penn.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2018, 03:51:38 AM »

Don't take the Rust Belt for granted, don't take Obama's black turnout for granted (that one a far bigger sin as he was really the only one that could get that many blacks out), have a reason for your campaign beyond not being Trump and go for a VP candidate with actual contrast (Kaine pretty much did fuck all to help the ticket).
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 10:01:50 PM »

And given how many voters made that link, 'ol Trump even said a lot of times, "you should've heard what Bill said" a bunch of times.

Here in New Jersey he was her primary surrogate. He headlined multiple events, IIRC.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 01:10:54 AM »

Here in New Jersey he was her primary surrogate. He headlined multiple events, IIRC.

Then he was grossly misused, same use as sending Michelle to Arizona.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2018, 07:38:02 PM »

She should have spent more time pitching Democratic policy positions (most of which were popular with the general public) and less time going after Trump personally. In an election decided by a fraction of a percent across three states, this could have been enough to tilt these states the other way (and produced a completely different outcome).

She should have heeded the warnings of people like Michael Moore who indicated months in advance that Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania could be picked off by Trump with his anti-trade rhetoric toward working class voters in these states.

She should have realized that even though she had leads in the Midwestern states mentioned above, there were still many undecided voters who could break late in favor of her opponent and thus allow him to overtake her. If she had realized that, she would likely not have neglected Michigan & Wisconsin.

She also should have reached out to non-urban voters (especially white working class voters) more. For example, in Pennsylvania, she should have invested more in the Northeast (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and surrounding areas), while in Florida, she should have invested more in the suburban/exurban counties surrounding I-4 (these two regions were decisive in flipping these two states to Trump in 2016).

This.

She never recovered from the "deplorables" comment.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies