Obama's Portrait
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:40:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Obama's Portrait
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Portrait

Horrible Portrait

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Obama's Portrait  (Read 1047 times)
DFL

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2018, 06:12:16 PM »

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »

Such an awkward place for an indoor chair.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 06:32:09 PM »

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 06:37:05 PM »

Absolutely ridiculous.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 11:36:00 PM »

Note: Not his official presidential portrait. This has the liberty to be kind of "out-there". His official portrait, I am sure, will probably be in an office of some kind, given the past several portraits.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 08:37:12 AM »

I wonder if Trump will belligerently insist that his Presidential portrait depict him as being in good shape and 10-20 years younger than he actually is Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 09:00:06 AM »

http://www.newsweek.com/sean-hannity-obama-portrait-artist-805650

You must be logged in to read this quote.

makes u think!
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 06:34:58 PM »

Meh, looks good to me. A bit unconventional but I don't see the issue.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 07:11:19 PM »

not a bad concept but execution isn't great. the hands look off
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 09:41:35 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2018, 09:46:10 AM by Frodo »

Don't particularly like either portrait of Barack or Michelle Obama, but perhaps it's just because their tastes are different from mine (I prefer more realism like most presidential portraits at the gallery).

In the meantime, all is not well with the Obama presidential library in south side Chicago....  
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 10:09:18 AM »

I wonder if Trump will belligerently insist that his Presidential portrait depict him as being in good shape and 10-20 years younger than he actually is Tongue

I'm sure Bobby Jindal can hook him up

Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 11:20:27 PM »

A lot of things about Obama were cosmopolitan and forcefully modern as a result.

This is just another one of them. I hope the portrait that hangs in the White House is better. When are those usually done?
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 11:42:19 PM »

not a bad concept but execution isn't great. the hands look off

It's a version of foreshortening.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 12:00:51 AM »

Apparently the painter is a nutjob who likes to paint racially charged beheadings. The painting itself is ugly and makes Obama looks like a freak with hand gigantism.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 12:08:56 AM »

The painting itself is ugly and makes Obama looks like a freak with hand gigantism.

It'll piss off Trump, though.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 10:44:21 AM »

I like it.  It's nice to see Obama having some fun with this, and I like the racial undertones present in both his and Michelle's portraits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/arts/design/obama-portrait.html
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 09:02:49 PM »

Can we also mention the fact that the painter has done other paintings depicting black women beheading white men?  If Trump commissioned a portrait by an artist who had painted images of white women beheading black men, you would never hear the end about how racist that was (and rightly so.)
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 11:18:46 PM »

Can we also mention the fact that the painter has done other paintings depicting black women beheading white men?  If Trump commissioned a portrait by an artist who had painted images of white women beheading black men, you would never hear the end about how racist that was (and rightly so.)

They're very obviously a variation on Judith beheading Holofernes, a very common subject in art history.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 12:05:57 AM »

They're very obviously a variation on Judith beheading Holofernes, a very common subject in art history.

I don't see how that makes it less racially....charged.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 12:16:53 AM »

Well, a shallow analysis of Kehinde Wiley's variations would lead me to associate the black woman in his painting as Judith bravely defeating (or overcoming, for a more universal message) their oppressors, whites, as Holofernes. Obviously, there's a racially-charged message, and that may be controversial, but what art isn't?
FairBol
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 10:24:46 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2018, 10:28:43 AM by FairBol »

Oof.  Gag me with a wooden spoon, please? :: sighs ::

And as indicated in another thread....cue the "Men On Film" (from "In Living Color"). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZHwxIL9oYo

Wink
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 04:12:27 PM »

Well, a shallow analysis of Kehinde Wiley's variations would lead me to associate the black woman in his painting as Judith bravely defeating (or overcoming, for a more universal message) their oppressors, whites, as Holofernes. Obviously, there's a racially-charged message, and that may be controversial, but what art isn't?
That still doesn't make it less racist.  Not all white people, either past or present, oppressed or discriminated against black people.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »

That still doesn't make it less racist.  Not all white people, either past or present, oppressed or discriminated against black people.

If that's how you choose to interpret it, that's fine. I don't find his artwork racist, rather, I see it as liberating.

Using your logic, one could say that Artemisia Gentileschi's version of Judith slaying Holofernes is sexist, because not all men, past or present, discriminated against women.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 07:07:24 PM »

If that's how you choose to interpret it, that's fine. I don't find his artwork racist, rather, I see it as liberating.

Using your logic, one could say that Artemisia Gentileschi's version of Judith slaying Holofernes is sexist, because not all men, past or present, discriminated against women.
Yes, that is correct.  It is also sexist.  How is it liberating for women to kill men, or blacks to kill whites?  Can't we all just learn to get along?
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »

it looks like the thumb is on the wrong side
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies