Obama's Portrait
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:31:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Obama's Portrait
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Portrait

Horrible Portrait

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Obama's Portrait  (Read 1045 times)
Boobs
HCP
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 08:40:01 PM »

Can we also mention the fact that the painter has done other paintings depicting black women beheading white men?  If Trump commissioned a portrait by an artist who had painted images of white women beheading black men, you would never hear the end about how racist that was (and rightly so.)

They're very obviously a variation on Judith beheading Holofernes, a very common subject in art history.

I don't see how that makes it less racially....charged.

Well, a shallow analysis of Kehinde Wiley's variations would lead me to associate the black woman in his painting as Judith bravely defeating (or overcoming, for a more universal message) their oppressors, whites, as Holofernes. Obviously, there's a racially-charged message, and that may be controversial, but what art isn't?
That still doesn't make it less racist.  Not all white people, either past or present, oppressed or discriminated against black people.

If that's how you choose to interpret it, that's fine. I don't find his artwork racist, rather, I see it as liberating.

Using your logic, one could say that Artemisia Gentileschi's version of Judith slaying Holofernes is sexist, because not all men, past or present, discriminated against women.
Yes, that is correct.  It is also sexist.  How is it liberating for women to kill men, or blacks to kill whites?  Can't we all just learn to get along?

Wow. PC culture has gone too far.

Because art is not literal? I don't understand why you aren't able to interpret it beyond literally describing what is on the painting.

Ironically, the same subject matter has been painted hundreds of time by men. Are they also sexist??

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies