White House security clearance problems megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:47:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  White House security clearance problems megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: White House security clearance problems megathread  (Read 657 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »
« edited: February 14, 2018, 09:24:37 PM by GeorgiaModerate »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:25:05 PM »

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 09:34:02 PM »

LOCK THEM UP! LOCK THEM UP! LOCK THEM UP!
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »

Really is amazing the amount of criminal conduct Republican politicians can get away.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:44:07 PM »

Here's the NBC story on the large number of staffers with interim clearances: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/scores-top-white-house-officials-lack-permanent-security-clearances-n848191.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:04:05 PM »

Wow, I knew the Trump WH was going to be dysfunctional, but I didn't expect this much of a cluster*ck.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 09:15:00 AM »

White House to change clearance process:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 09:16:59 AM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »

why, for the love of whatever god you pray to, isn't this standard funking practice?

should that be "had" if the paragraph above it is true?  I guess "has" may be acceptable, but "had" seems more accurate.  Assuming I'm reading everything else right?  Do I have the time line right....he didn't have SCI for the first year, but now he does?  Or is his SCI only temporary?  I'm pretty sure you can't get a "temporary" SCI clearance, you either have it, or you do not.  I think you can have a time expired one and be under a re-investigation and be ok, but not if it's your first one (they go deep on the first one).

(and not all threads at Atlas get read by an actual somebody "somewhere", but I'd guess if any of them are, this is one of them Wink hi fellas, enjoy your day!)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 10:57:37 AM »

why, for the love of whatever god you pray to, isn't this standard funking practice?

should that be "had" if the paragraph above it is true?  I guess "has" may be acceptable, but "had" seems more accurate.  Assuming I'm reading everything else right?  Do I have the time line right....he didn't have SCI for the first year, but now he does?  Or is his SCI only temporary?  I'm pretty sure you can't get a "temporary" SCI clearance, you either have it, or you do not.  I think you can have a time expired one and be under a re-investigation and be ok, but not if it's your first one (they go deep on the first one).

(and not all threads at Atlas get read by an actual somebody "somewhere", but I'd guess if any of them are, this is one of them Wink hi fellas, enjoy your day!)

From other reports, it seems unclear whether Kushner is still operating under a temporary clearance, and if so whether he will be affected by Kelly's new policy.

During my time as a defense contractor (caveat: decades ago), there was no "temporary" clearance; an applicant was simply not allowed access to classified information until their clearance investigation was completed.  It took about two months for my Secret clearance investigation, which was a typical amount of time.  I was later upgraded to Top Secret (not SCI -- there was no intel aspect to my work), and that investigation took about six months.  During that period, I had access to Secret data but not TS.

It wasn't uncommon for people to be denied TS clearances.  Secret was almost always granted in the end; I only knew one person who was denied.  People who were denied or still under investigation were assigned only to unclassified work.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 08:35:09 AM »

That's (with a minor difference that isn't important) my experience to a T.  Everybody I work with now had a clearance when they got the job, most if not all straight out of the military, so I don't know about the rate of clearance denial anymore.  When I was in the AF there was more than a couple of dudes who who just couldn't get SCI, and at least two that lost it after getting it (drugs and financial, both of the serious variety.  You can have a bankruptcy and keep your clearance, but not if the debt is >$35k in gambling losses or comic books on credit cards.).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 11:22:40 AM »

Wait...Don McGahn couldn’t get a permanent security clearance?  The White House Counsel?  I guess that really says it all, doesn’t it?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 06:12:13 PM »

WaPo reports that two weeks ago, Rosenstein informed McGahn that significant information requiring additional investigation would further delay Kushner's clearance.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/top-justice-dept-official-alerted-white-house-2-weeks-ago-to-ongoing-issues-in-kushners-security-clearance/2018/02/23/aa9b37c8-17f4-11e8-92c9-376b4fe57ff7_story.html
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 02:10:40 PM »

Trump: Chief of Staff John Kelly Will Decide on Jared Kushner's Security Clearance

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics/jared-kushner-security-clearance-john-kelly/index.html

ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »

Really is amazing the amount of criminal conduct Republican politicians can get away.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2018, 07:55:54 AM »

do we have any proof that Trump knows anything that doesn't have to do with NYC real estate?  He's said 11 of the dumbest 100 things ever said out loud in public and he's done it in just over a year.  Nobody else has more than 3 (Kanye).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 04:04:49 PM »

All WH aides -- including Jared Kushner -- with interim TS/SCI clearances have been downgraded to Secret clearance: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/27/jared-kushner-security-clearance-downgrade-427178

For those not familiar with the clearance system, there are three general levels: Confidential, Secret, and Top Secret.  There are also additional designations for particular types of material, such as SCI (Sensitive Compartmentalized Information) for very sensitive intelligence-related material and others relating to specific areas such as nuclear weapons design, communications security, etc.  (Caveat: I haven't held a clearance since leaving the defense arena 25 years ago, so my information may be somewhat outdated.)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 06:26:37 PM »

More on Kushner:

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies