DNC/RNC host city watch: LATEST: DNC shortlist: Houston, Miami, Milwaukee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:16:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  DNC/RNC host city watch: LATEST: DNC shortlist: Houston, Miami, Milwaukee
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: DNC/RNC host city watch: LATEST: DNC shortlist: Houston, Miami, Milwaukee  (Read 24679 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2018, 04:42:02 PM »
« edited: August 24, 2018, 11:06:13 PM by Mr. Morden »

I'm surprised there hasn't been more activity on this front.  Based on the timeline from four years ago, I would expect a long list of possible DNC and RNC host cities to emerge soon, but things have been very quiet on that front.

The latest though is that Charlotte may bid for the RNC:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/02/15/charlotte-bidding-for-2020-republican-convention.html

I have actually been wondering if the new Trump-ified version of the GOP would prompt some cities to opt out of bidding.  The thinking being that Dems are more likely now than a few years ago to view the GOP as not only wrong on the issues, but racist.  And so, would there actually be some backlash against a city bidding for the RNC in a way that there wouldn't have been when McCain and Romney were the most recent standard bearers?  I guess we'll see.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 04:50:14 PM »

I'm surprised there hasn't been more activity on this front.  Based on the timeline from four years ago, I would expect a long list of possible DNC and RNC host cities to emerge soon, but things have been very quiet on that front.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/02/15/charlotte-bidding-for-2020-republican-convention.html

I have actually been wondering if the new Trump-ified version of the GOP would prompt some cities to opt out of bidding.  The thinking being that Dems are more likely now than a few years ago to view the GOP as not only wrong on the issues, but racist.  And so, would there actually be some backlash against a city bidding for the RNC in a way that there wouldn't have been when McCain and Romney were the most recent standard bearers?  I guess we'll see.

Quite likely. Given that entertainers one by one backed out of performing at Trump's inauguration, and many members of winning sports teams are expressing an interest in declining to meet with Trump, it wouldn't surprise me.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 04:51:30 PM »

I've been wondering about this! I'd expected to have heard more, but hopefully we'll see more stuff on this soon.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 06:26:38 PM »

I'm surprised there hasn't been more activity on this front.  Based on the timeline from four years ago, I would expect a long list of possible DNC and RNC host cities to emerge soon, but things have been very quiet on that front.

I have actually been wondering if the new Trump-ified version of the GOP would prompt some cities to opt out of bidding.  The thinking being that Dems are more likely now than a few years ago to view the GOP as not only wrong on the issues, but racist.  And so, would there actually be some backlash against a city bidding for the RNC in a way that there wouldn't have been when McCain and Romney were the most recent standard bearers?  I guess we'll see.

Quite likely. Given that entertainers one by one backed out of performing at Trump's inauguration, and many members of winning sports teams are expressing an interest in declining to meet with Trump, it wouldn't surprise me.

Isn't hosting a major party convention just a generally good thing for a city, business-wise? I'd think that this could cover the minuses?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 07:14:04 PM »

See, this is what I mean about the possibility of a backlash.  I don’t think an RNC bid would be controversial in the same way in years past:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article200555219.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2018, 07:33:20 PM by Kaniela Ing/Jared Golden 2028 »

Isn't hosting a major party convention just a generally good thing for a city, business-wise? I'd think that this could cover the minuses?
Not when the minuses will be rowdy, borderline violent protests.

And the protests will be nonstop, extremely visible and people will definitely get hurt.

The last thing a city hosting the RNC needs is a trigger-happy cop gunning down an innocent, unarmed protester. Or a protest turning into a riot a-la 1968 Chicago. Or a white nationalist delegate driving a rental car into a group of people.

It wouldn’t surprise me if no major cities bid for the RNC.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 08:04:19 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2018, 08:07:21 PM by MAGugh »

Some convention location predictions -

RNC - I'd be willing to bet the majority of the RNC and Republicans want Trump as the 2020 party nominee, and with that, they will, of course, want to promote the Trump-Republicanism message. A location like Charlotte or Pittsburgh accomplishes this. Charlotte promotes the state rights message over the bathroom controversy (despite Roy Cooper being a Democrat), and North Carolina is, of course, a vital state to win. Pittsburgh promotes the ideas of deregulation and Trump-economics. As well as the "Trump Digs Coal!" culture, without the unappealing nature of hosting the convention in West Virginia.

DNC - I really hope the DNC learns their lesson from 2016 and hosts the convention in Alabama or Georgia. Both important states - the Democratic Party has been making improvement in both, even picking up a win in Alabama with Doug Jones. Spreading the DNC message into seemingly hostile but opportunistic territory like Georgia could influence some to join the blue wave in 2020.

LNC - New Hampshire. I don't understand why this isn't the consensus thing yet. Keene, Darryl W. Perry, FreeTalkLive, PorcFest, etc.

GNC - North Dakota. Similar to the LNC, this party's message was growing in popularity in this state around the time of 2016. Seize the opportunity and run with it, albeit a couple of years too late. 
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 06:03:23 PM »

Not when the minuses will be rowdy, borderline violent protests.

And the protests will be nonstop, extremely visible and people will definitely get hurt.

The last thing a city hosting the RNC needs is a trigger-happy cop gunning down an innocent, unarmed protester. Or a protest turning into a riot a-la 1968 Chicago. Or a white nationalist delegate driving a rental car into a group of people.

It wouldn’t surprise me if no major cities bid for the RNC.

That would actually be quite funny.

CNN returns to the Republican convention, Live from Topeka!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:03:16 PM »

Interestingly, this story says that Charlotte's bid is due on Feb. 28th:

http://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2018/02/19/charlotte-s-rnc-bid-due-next-week

I'm confused.  Is that an internal submission deadline, within the city government?  Because if it's a deadline for the RNC, then why aren't we hearing about any other cities preparing bids?  Does no other city want to host the RNC?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:05:13 AM »

Milwaukee is looking to bid for the DNC:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/2018/02/21/milwaukee-leaders-announce-bid-2020-democratic-national-convention/358094002/

The story notes that no other cities have started the bidding process yet, but that there are a few that are thought to be weighing it:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 01:44:02 PM »

Looks like Milwaukee already has a logo for their bid:

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 02:35:35 PM »

Milwaukee would be great. I plan to apply to be a delegate in 2020 and Milwaukee is a heck of a lot more accessible than the other potential cities. I still say they should have it in Detroit at the new Little Caesars Arena.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 03:15:22 PM »

Hey DNC.

PICK THIS CITY.

No, not MSG in NYC.

Not Los Angeles.

IF YOU WANT TO WIN, PICK THIS ONE, OR SOMEWHERE LIKE IT, THANKS.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 03:39:12 PM »

Milwaukee, Green Bay, Detroit, Indianapolis, something of the sort.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 03:45:22 PM »

DNC - I really hope the DNC learns their lesson from 2016 and hosts the convention in Alabama or Georgia. Both important states - the Democratic Party has been making improvement in both, even picking up a win in Alabama with Doug Jones. Spreading the DNC message into seemingly hostile but opportunistic territory like Georgia could influence some to join the blue wave in 2020.

Don't think Alabama makes any sense, but going to Atlanta, Georgia would be a solid pick (although Atlanta in July might be a bit on the warm side for some of the northern delegates). Alternately, Milwaukee as mentioned, or maybe Minneapolis.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 03:57:52 PM »

I’m all for Milwaukee, if only for that killer logo.

Alternatively Columbus would be good
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 04:10:38 PM »

Milwaukee was my top choice. There should be no other bids.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 04:14:39 PM »

Man Wisconsin Democrats have suffered so many defeats I feel like they should get it out of pity.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 04:16:21 PM »

Birmingham, Alabama's interested: http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2016/08/m.html
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 04:16:59 PM »

Milwaukee has a brand new state of the art arena opening up at the end of this year too.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »

They tried Philly in a bid to hold Pennsylvania, didn't work.

Or how 'bout 2012 when both parties lost the states by narrow margins?

Not sold on the choices making that much difference anymore,as long as the state isn't a Safe State.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »

They tried Philly in a bid to hold Pennsylvania, didn't work.

Or how 'bout 2012 when both parties lost the states by narrow margins?

Not sold on the choices making that much difference anymore,as long as the state isn't a Safe State.
It is, however, a rust-belt city. Philly is considered part of the BosWash east-coast establishment metropolis.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »

Man Wisconsin Democrats have suffered so many defeats I feel like they should get it out of pity.

Sad
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 05:50:34 PM »

Can we put aside this myth that hosting a convention in a state actually helps you win there, democrats had their convention in Philadelphia in 2016 and in Charlotte in 2012 and they lost both times. Cleveland was the first convention city in a state republicans won since 1992
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 06:22:12 PM »

Can we put aside this myth that hosting a convention in a state actually helps you win there, democrats had their convention in Philadelphia in 2016 and in Charlotte in 2012 and they lost both times. Cleveland was the first convention city in a state republicans won since 1992
True, but it's still a nice gesture.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies