DNC/RNC host city watch: LATEST: DNC shortlist: Houston, Miami, Milwaukee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:29:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  DNC/RNC host city watch: LATEST: DNC shortlist: Houston, Miami, Milwaukee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: DNC/RNC host city watch: LATEST: DNC shortlist: Houston, Miami, Milwaukee  (Read 24880 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2018, 04:13:52 PM »

Charlotte's going to get the RNC by default.

I think at this point, the Trumpian GOP is pretty much an anti-urban party, and I don't see why city governments would be interested in working with the national party in this way

I wouldn't be shocked if a city in a GOP friendly state (like Texas or Oklahoma) puts in bid.

Maybe San Antonio, Dallas, Houston or Oklahoma City?
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2018, 04:19:10 PM »

Maybe the Koch brothers will get the RNC to somewhere in Kansas?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2018, 07:00:20 PM »

The point of location choosing for conventions isn't to help win the states they're held in, it's to help project a narrative. In that case, the most appropriate city for the RNC would be Las Vegas, bar none, with Miami operating as a viable backup. Glitziness, grandiosity, artificiality, and just generally being dedicated to image over substance are the current impulses of the GOP under Trump, so the host city for their convention should at least be able make claim to those traits as well.

Oklahoma City would be the metropolitan area with over a million people that would be most enthused by far to host the convention in terms of the proportion of residents that most align with the party platform, but I'm skeptical their infrastructure is up to scratch for such an event. I'm surprised Charlotte was willing to submit their bid and I wonder if Li Vyles might land in hot water with the liberal base considering how much the city has had to deal with anti-urban posturing lately from Republicans; most city residents can't possibly be amenable to the idea of hosting their party convention for them, although the larger metropolitan area is very conservative.

Milwaukee was one of my top choices for the Democrats, the other being Phoenix. Democrats should choose either a Midwestern or Sunbelt city, preferably one that hasn't hosted a convention yet, and both Milwaukee and Phoenix fit that bill. Pittsburgh hasn't hosted before and its been over a century since Cincinnati has, but both cities are in states which held conventions in 2016 so they should get their turn a different year. The Sunbelt has tons of alternatives to Phoenix.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2018, 10:58:47 PM »

RNC TOPEKA 2020
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2018, 01:27:33 AM »

RNC TOPEKA 2020

haha.

That said KCK probably actually has the infrastructure for it, and Wichita has a pretty cool vibe. The real trouble with a smaller city (ie: wichita, the Koch Bros base of operations) for an event as big as either of the two party conventions have become is that the security measures would basically shut down the town for everyone else.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2018, 11:51:38 AM »

This story says that Charlotte officials will head to DC some time before the end of this month in order to make an oral presentation to the RNC host city selection committee.....then site visits for candidate cities, probably in May:

http://www.wbtv.com/story/37924579/now-that-charlotte-has-put-in-a-bid-for-the-2020-rnc-what-is-next

The thing is, this is coming up soon, and, AFAIK, no other cities have bid yet.  Is Charlotte going to win this by default?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2018, 09:22:35 AM »

Birmingham, Alabama will bid for the DNC:

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2018/04/yes_birmingham_is_once_again_v.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Looks like it’s a longshot bid:

Meanwhile, the RNC has already sent representatives to Charlotte to scope out the city’s bid:

http://www.wbtv.com/story/37979495/rnc-co-chairman-in-charlotte-as-city-vies-to-host-national-convention

So so far, I think we have Atlanta, Birmingham, Milwaukee, and San Francisco all interested in bidding for the DNC.  It sounds like there was speculation about Phoenix also being interested, but I haven’t seen anything concrete.

On the flip side, Charlotte is the only city we’ve seen show interest in hosting the RNC so far.  The stories allude to other cities potentially in the mix, but they’re never actually named.  So is it Charlotte by default?  Or maybe there are other cities bidding, but they prefer to remain anonymous?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »

Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale is encouraging San Antonio to submit a bid to host the RNC, but the city leadership hasn't decided yet.  Sounds like there've been mixed signals about whether such a bid would be welcome:

https://www.expressnews.com/news/local/politics/article/Trump-s-campaign-boss-wants-2020-GOP-convention-12864925.php

Interestingly, former mayor and (probable 2020 presidential candidate) Julian Castro isn't a fan:

This is actually a little unusual.  Normally, even politicians of the opposite party try not to throw cold water on their city hosting one of the major party conventions, since they're widely seen as a net positive for local businesses.  But things are a bit different this time because the Trump-ified version of the GOP is seen as toxic by many in a way that it wasn't just a few years ago in the pre-Trump era.  Plus, of course, Castro is playing to a national Democratic primary base rather than local voters, since he's (presumably) running for president.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2018, 07:29:08 PM »

Good cities for the DNC could host:
Phoenix, AZ,
Houston, TX,
Austin, TX,
Minneapolis, MN,
Milwaukee, WI,
Columbus, OH,
Detroit, MI,
Atlanta, GA
Portland, OR
Birmingham, AL

Good Cities that the RNC could host:
Des Moines, IA
Sioux Falls, SD
Louisville, KY
Jackson, MS
St. Louis, MO

Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2018, 07:35:54 PM »

I'm thinking San Francisco could be a strong contender if they bid: they're the furthest left major city in America and would be an ideal location for a resistance themed convention where they are likely to nominate a pretty far left candidate, the major convention centers as well as the downtown are also surrounded by upscale neighborhoods so that the democratic delegates won't have to be near any working class people while they're there
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2018, 07:38:32 PM »

I'm thinking San Francisco could be a strong contender if they bid: they're the furthest left major city in America and would be an ideal location for a resistance themed convention where they are likely to nominate a pretty far left candidate, the major convention centers as well as the downtown are also surrounded by upscale neighborhoods so that the democratic delegates won't have to be near any working class people while they're there

Roll Eyes
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2018, 07:43:34 PM »

Roll Eyes
Rhenna
Gabor
United States

« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2018, 10:08:54 PM »

Milwaukee and Atlanta are in the best interests for the Dems and maybe Houston or San Antonio for the GOP.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2018, 11:07:32 PM »

Former San Antonio mayor Phil Hardberger doesn't want the city to bid for the RNC, and the reason is Trump:

https://therivardreport.com/parscales-twitter-attack-exposes-divisions-over-hosting-2020-gop-national-convention/

Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2018, 11:09:09 PM »

Yep, it would be a who's who of Wall Street lovers as they nominate Kamala Rodham Clinton to depress non-city turnout for Dems.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2018, 11:02:43 AM »

Charlotte's still the only city known to have bid for the RNC.  San Antonio is reportedly thinking about it, but no one else is publicly saying that they're interested.  Columbus, Dallas, Nashville, Orlando, and Pittsburgh have all said they're not interested:

Charlotte is going all out to get the GOP convention. No one else says they want it.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2018, 11:32:35 AM »

Bill Clinton attended the Milwaukee Bucks - Boston Celtics playoff game last night

The Bucks ownership group are the big backers of getting the DNC to Milwaukee.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »

Former San Antonio mayor Phil Hardberger doesn't want the city to bid for the RNC, and the reason is Drumpf:

https://therivardreport.com/parscales-twitter-attack-exposes-divisions-over-hosting-2020-gop-national-convention/

He's right. That could be a disaster. Though the Republicans would probably be overjoyed at their ability to stoke the flames of the culture war even further by being able to film ads with angry Latinos and Latinas mobilizing outside the convention center.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2018, 01:19:06 PM »

Looks like Houston also isn't interested in bidding for the RNC:

https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2018/04/27/other-cities-dont-want-the-republican-convention-parscale-is-pushing

Increasingly looks like it'll probably be Charlotte by default (unless there are others who are bidding who are keeping it secret for some reason), since no one else seems interested.  Even if San Antonio does bid, it probably won't be as a competitive a bid as Charlotte, who's done this before.
UncleSam

« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2018, 07:28:34 PM »

Can totally understand why no city would want the RNC after the Cleveland disaster in 2016.
What was a 'disaster' about the 2016 RNC?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2018, 07:33:19 PM »

Yep, it would be a who's who of Wall Street lovers as they nominate Kamala Rodham Clinton to depress non-city turnout for Dems.

Here we go...
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2018, 07:40:03 PM »

So it looks like Maulwukee for the DNC and Charlotte for the RNC. Milwaukee makes the most sense. I love San Francisco, but it'll send the wrong message. Kamala Harris is going to push HARD for SF. She'll want to accept the nomination in her hometown.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »

So it looks like Maulwukee for the DNC and Charlotte for the RNC. Milwaukee makes the most sense. I love San Francisco, but it'll send the wrong message.

Atlanta's also bidding for the DNC, so I wouldn't rule them out:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=284881.msg6123356#msg6123356
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2018, 07:44:08 PM »

So it looks like Maulwukee for the DNC and Charlotte for the RNC. Milwaukee makes the most sense. I love San Francisco, but it'll send the wrong message.

Atlanta's also bidding for the DNC, so I wouldn't rule them out:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=284881.msg6123356#msg6123356

Also a good choice. While I do think the Dems should start putting the sun belt in play, I think we need to really repair our standing in the rust belt, and that starts with Wisconsin.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2018, 08:13:38 PM »

Why doesn't the DNC look at St. Louis or Kansas City, Mo?

Bring Missouri back to relevance presidentially.

Missouri, the place where the BLM conversation on race started, the place where Eric Greitens will fall. Why don't Democrats have their convention in the heartland?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies