DNC/RNC host city watch: LATEST: DNC shortlist: Houston, Miami, Milwaukee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:23:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  DNC/RNC host city watch: LATEST: DNC shortlist: Houston, Miami, Milwaukee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: DNC/RNC host city watch: LATEST: DNC shortlist: Houston, Miami, Milwaukee  (Read 24854 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2018, 06:24:38 PM »

I'm fine with either. I've said this before but I really don't think the convention will have much of an impact on flipping a state.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2018, 11:19:30 AM »

Sunbelt!, sunbelt!, Sunbelt!

If it's become an Atlanta-Milwaukee race, I think dems should defintily choose Milwaukee. Hillary tried the sun belt strategy, and it failed. Republicans chose Cleveland and it helped them winning the rust belt, whereas Dems didn't campaign here, taking it for granted

Did she actually though? probably not. she spent more than Obama did in the region, but she only spent a couple million spread across TX,GA, and AZ. Meanwhile the Hillary For America organization wasted tens of millions on a failed campaign in Ohio. If the Money spend in Ohio was spent in GA, or AZ the result in both states would be a lot closer.

Not to mention the lion's share of all that was spent in North Carolina. Georgia and Arizona weren't really investments until near the end.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »

22,000 margin > 211,000 margin. If Dems still can't flip NC then pinning hopes on GA/AZ is foolish.
NeederNodder
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -7.28

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2018, 02:44:23 PM »

Atlanta would be a perfect spot.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2018, 08:14:08 PM »

San Francisco wants to bid for the DNC:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sf-mayor-launches-bid-host-2020-democratic-national-convention/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This story says that Birmingham, AL is also in the mix:

http://fox6now.com/2018/03/29/mayor-barrett-submits-letter-to-dnc-chair-suggests-new-bucks-arena-as-venue-for-2020-convention/
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2018, 08:46:16 PM »

Atlanta and Milwaukee are both solid choices. Birmingham would be quite interesting. I expect to see a Texas metro area get in as well.

If the DNC is in the South, Doug Jones is a likely bet for keynote speaker.
Likewise Jason Kander for the midwest.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2018, 10:53:51 PM »

22,000 margin > 211,000 margin. If Dems still can't flip NC then pinning hopes on GA/AZ is foolish.

AZ was lost by less than 100,000...barely more than MI/WI/PA and less than Florida.

Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »

Atlanta and Milwaukee are both solid choices. Birmingham would be quite interesting. I expect to see a Texas metro area get in as well.

Speaking at the DNC while running for reelection in Alabama is not a smart move.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »

Speaking at the DNC while running for reelection in Alabama is not a smart move.

It would depend significantly on the nominee and the national mood. Jones keynoting a DNC that nominates Joe Biden is a lot different than Jones keynoting a DNC that nominates Elizabeth Warren.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2018, 01:40:27 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2018, 01:43:34 PM by RFKFan68 »

He's going to lose no matter what he does. He barely beat a pedophile. Any generic R will crush him especially with Donald Trump at the top of the ballot.

ETA: LOL at San Francisco.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2018, 01:48:23 PM »

If the Democrats have their convention in San Francisco, they deserve to lose.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2018, 03:28:29 PM »

If the Dems hold their convention in San Francisco or Atlanta, that would be the equivalent of the GOP holding it in Moscow.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2018, 04:09:23 PM »

If the Dems hold their convention in San Francisco or Atlanta, that would be the equivalent of the GOP holding it in Moscow.
Why do people despise coastal Democrats now?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2018, 04:12:18 PM »

If the Democrats have their convention in San Francisco, they deserve to lose.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2018, 04:18:17 PM »

Does Milwaukee have enough hotel space?  I am pretty sure Birmingham does not.

The metro area has plenty of hotel space and unlike other cities it's not any type of commute in would be longer than 20 min or so.
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2018, 05:28:53 PM »

I’m going to vote no on San Fran, putting our parties convention in that city would give the gop/Fox News a plethora of talking points that we don’t need.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2018, 06:40:29 PM »

I’m going to vote no on San Fran, putting our parties convention in that city would give the gop/Fox News a plethora of talking points that we don’t need.

I agree. It wouldn't look good, even though it shouldn't matter. Meanwhile the GOP has the luxury of holding their convention pretty much anywhere without much backlash. That's just the typical uneven playing field that our politics operates on.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2018, 06:51:47 PM »

Bad rep. SF and California are already safely D, so it wouldn't win them any points holding it there.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2018, 07:12:29 PM »

I really hope they don't hold it here.
Not because of the sh*tty optics, but because I don't want my family to have to deal with the traffic, etc.
Theodore
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2018, 10:41:24 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2018, 11:56:49 PM »

Bad rep. SF and California are already safely D, so it wouldn't win them any points holding it there.

Conventions don't win vote points anyway. Seriously, when has a state ever been flipped by the convention being held there? See 2012.

The real reason not to hold it in San Francisco is it's already expensive enough for delegates, putting it there would be a slap in the face to anyone without a trust fund.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2018, 12:59:02 AM »

That's fair, but the notion that Dems deserve to lose if they don't put the heartland above the coasts is absurd and unfair.
MechaBambi
Rookie
United States

« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2018, 02:01:07 AM »

I honestly don't care where the Dem convention is held, but the jokes that would result from having it in San Francisco would be unbearable, so for that reason I hope they choose literally anywhere else.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2018, 02:47:24 AM »

Ok, SF is indeed a bad choice, but Atlanta? Calling it "the equivalent of Moscow" is pure Midwestern fetishism and irrational hate for everything that has minorities in it.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2018, 08:06:30 AM »

Ok, SF is indeed a bad choice, but Atlanta? Calling it "the equivalent of Moscow" is pure Midwestern fetishism and irrational hate for everything that has minorities in it.

Ok but you people realize that the Midwest has minorities in it too, right? Who are on average doing worse than those living in coastal cities. 'Equivalent of Moscow' is an exaggeration, but the point is SF would betray a complete lack of self-awareness about the state of the country - Clinton herself said it; she won the places that are 'moving forwards', developing and such, while the whole center of the country is being left behind. The wealthy coasts have their problems, but theirs are problems of policy, not resources, and they will vote overwhelmingly D no matter what. What you call 'midwestern fetishism' is good politics and reaching out to people who are doing really poorly and have felt ignored by the political establishment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies