DNC/RNC host city watch: LATEST: DNC shortlist: Houston, Miami, Milwaukee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:19:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  DNC/RNC host city watch: LATEST: DNC shortlist: Houston, Miami, Milwaukee (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DNC/RNC host city watch: LATEST: DNC shortlist: Houston, Miami, Milwaukee  (Read 24838 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: February 20, 2018, 06:03:23 PM »

I'm surprised there hasn't been more activity on this front.  Based on the timeline from four years ago, I would expect a long list of possible DNC and RNC host cities to emerge soon, but things have been very quiet on that front.

The latest though is that Charlotte may bid for the RNC:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/02/15/charlotte-bidding-for-2020-republican-convention.html

I have actually been wondering if the new Trump-ified version of the GOP would prompt some cities to opt out of bidding.  The thinking being that Dems are more likely now than a few years ago to view the GOP as not only wrong on the issues, but racist.  And so, would there actually be some backlash against a city bidding for the RNC in a way that there wouldn't have been when McCain and Romney were the most recent standard bearers?  I guess we'll see.

Quite likely. Given that entertainers one by one backed out of performing at Trump's inauguration, and many members of winning sports teams are expressing an interest in declining to meet with Trump, it wouldn't surprise me.

Isn't hosting a major party convention just a generally good thing for a city, business-wise? I'd think that this could cover the minuses?
Not when the minuses will be rowdy, borderline violent protests.

And the protests will be nonstop, extremely visible and people will definitely get hurt.

The last thing a city hosting the RNC needs is a trigger-happy cop gunning down an innocent, unarmed protester. Or a protest turning into a riot a-la 1968 Chicago. Or a white nationalist delegate driving a rental car into a group of people.

It wouldn’t surprise me if no major cities bid for the RNC.

That would actually be quite funny.

CNN returns to the Republican convention, Live from Topeka!
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 10:27:03 AM »

I'd still choose Milwaukee, if only b/c Atlanta in the summer doesn't sound like fun.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 04:01:41 PM »

Charlotte's going to get the RNC by default.

I think at this point, the Trumpian GOP is pretty much an anti-urban party, and I don't see why city governments would be interested in working with the national party in this way
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 07:04:52 PM »

Somehow I don't think the location of a convention is as high-impact as many of these posts and links are making it out to be.

Electorally it's irrelevant. But among the political media it allows to set narratives and avoid gaffes
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 07:43:39 AM »

Not surprising that they're giving it to the only city that actually wanted it, and not the one that the Nevada GOP is trying to shove down their City's throats
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 12:12:02 PM »

Not surprising that they're giving it to the only city that actually wanted it, and not the one that the Nevada GOP is trying to shove down their City's throats

Actually sounds like there some reluctance in the Charlotte City Council.

It’d be hilarious if Charlotte pulled out at the last second leaving the RNC in limbo.

We go live to the Republican National Convention at Mar-A-Lago, Palm Beach County
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 04:23:00 PM »

The Charlotte city council is holding a special meeting at 2pm on Monday to debate hosting the RNC and vote on it.  If they vote yes, then the RNC may well offer it to them later in the week:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article214754025.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also, Charlotte mayor Vi Lyles says she supports the bid to host the RNC, but will refuse to give a welcoming address to the convention:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Good on Lyles. She’d absolutely be used as propaganda for the GOP, being a black woman.

I also find it comical how much leverage these Council members theoretically have on this convention. The only alternate city is Las vegas, and they don't *have a site selected* for the thing.

I really hope the Council votes it down just to see the GOP scramble to find a spot. Make them recognize they have to own their distinctively anti-urban, anti-diversity agenda
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 06:34:59 PM »

Charlotte City Council agreed to host the RNC on a 6-5 vote (paywall). I have a feeling the councilmember who cast the deciding vote may regret it (or not, this convention could be a non entity in 2020).

https://www.wsj.com/articles/charlotte-narrowly-approves-2020-gop-convention-1531782825
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 02:39:49 PM »

It's probably not going to matter, but I think the optics and politics (also the weather) make Milwaukee a much better choice than Houston (It doesn't seem as though Miami is a serious option)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies