Star Wars Fans: Do You Feel Threatened by Strong Female Characters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:43:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Star Wars Fans: Do You Feel Threatened by Strong Female Characters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Star Wars Fans: Do You Feel Threatened by Strong Female Characters?  (Read 706 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »

JJ Abrams thinks you are:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

source
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:08:22 PM »

I'm sure some are and are loud about it, and some are and are very quiet about it (even lying to themselves), but I doubt they combined make up a majority.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 04:17:45 PM »

What's more threatening to Star Wars fans is that the movies are absolute trash.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 04:21:23 PM »

What's more threatening to Star Wars fans is that the movies are absolute trash.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 11:44:55 PM »

Only if said "strong female characters" aren't actually strong at all by any believable means and/or are extremely unlikable as to negate that quality and writers try to use throw that out there as a crutch to hide what is clearly bad writing.

People love Leia, no one seriously complained about Padme, and I don't recall many complaints about the main character in Rogue One either.

Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 08:53:30 AM »

No, but I'm annoyed by Mary Sue characters who can become the most powerful Jedi in the series's entire history in like 5 minutes.

Abrams needs to learn to take criticism and learn from it rather than pulling the race/sex card. Most of these people want to like your movies, but they don't like them because the movies are bad, not because they have women/non-whites.

For the record, my issues with Rey are only a fraction of my criticisms of Episodes 7 and 8, particularly 8.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 06:12:41 PM »

No, but I'm annoyed by Mary Sue characters who can become the most powerful Jedi in the series's entire history in like 5 minutes.

Abrams needs to learn to take criticism and learn from it rather than pulling the race/sex card. Most of these people want to like your movies, but they don't like them because the movies are bad, not because they have women/non-whites.

For the record, my issues with Rey are only a fraction of my criticisms of Episodes 7 and 8, particularly 8.

There are definitely valid criticisms of Rey and Rose Tico. (Though I think Rose should get more, not less, screentime, especially with regards to her and her sister's backstories.) But I think Abrams had in mind alt-right trolls who explicitly say "we hate women" when he said that, and in that case he's definitely correct.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 06:14:05 PM »

politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 07:50:09 AM »

If you are, find another franchise to ruin. Are those alt-right f-ckwads also celebrating Carrie Fisher's death? God forbid you have a strong female lead like Leia.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 07:55:04 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2018, 07:59:01 AM by We Have A Pope »

If you are, find another franchise to ruin. Are those alt-right f-ckwads also celebrating Carrie Fisher's death? God forbid you have a strong female lead like Leia.

Unpopular opinion alert: Honestly, I don’t know that she was ever a strong female character, Leia always seemed rather one-dimensional and the objectification of her in Return of the Jedi was pretty gross.  And she certainly wasn’t a lead in any of the movies.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 03:31:52 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »

America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 05:20:59 PM »

Not at all. I'm attracted to strong females.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 07:44:03 PM »

I love Rey, but I haven't seen episode 8 yet.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies