Game Suggestion Thread - (Proposals, Ideas, Reserves) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:26:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Game Suggestion Thread - (Proposals, Ideas, Reserves) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Game Suggestion Thread - (Proposals, Ideas, Reserves)  (Read 59238 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« on: February 19, 2018, 11:00:04 AM »

When The Three Kingdoms runs it course (hopefully not for a while yet), I want to try a modernist, Lumine's Peace Through Strength-style game.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 05:10:36 PM »

Maybe we should stop flooding the forum with the same type of games that keep failing. Just a thought.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 08:25:45 PM »

As for myself I'm fully occupied with Forward (2012 Election Game) and The Death of Kings (ASOIAF-based game), but I would like to reserve a concept for an historical game to host at some point, although I have no idea when.

Provisional Title: "Dynasties and Empires"

Context: A game set in 1519, right at the onset of the Protestant Reformation, the Spanish Conquest of the Americas, the supremacy of the Ottoman Empire, the conflict between the young monarchs Henry VIII of England, Charles I of Spain and Francis I of France, and an election for Holy Roman Emperor which might decide the future of the Empire.

Among the playable characters one would find famous monarchs such as Henry VIII, Charles V, Francis I, Manuel I (Portugal) and Selim I, as well as other relevant characters such as the beleaugered Pope Leo X, James V of Scotland, the infortunate Louis II of Hungary and Bohemia, the Republic of Venice, the conflicting King of Denmark and the Swedish Regent and so on.

And, given the richness of the moment, the wide cast would also allow interaction with characters such as Cardinal Wolsey, Martin Luther, Moctezuma and the conquistadors, Richard de la Pole (last of the Yorkist claimants), Catherine of Aragon, the explorer Magellan, and so on. The game would most likely feature turns of one year, so we can advance into a much different world.

I was bored the other day, so I also took the time to make a map for future use (with the undiscovered areas hidden, as players will have to be both skilled and lucky to discover much of the New World):

I really like this idea and will put it in my pocket, with Lumine's permission, for when the Encore of Europe reaches its natural conclusion.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 08:36:34 PM »

Alternatively, I've started reading "The Heir Apparent: A Life of Edward VII, the Playboy Prince" by Jane Ridley. It's sparked my interested in the Late Victorian/Edwardian eras. Would there maybe be interest in a 1900-ish Encore of Europe type game?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 12:33:53 PM »

I'm going to spend the next few days looking into launching a new historical nation game.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 06:47:38 PM »

There are three game ideas I am currently working:

1) The War of 1812. The British have just burned Washington to the ground, forcing President Madison to flee the city. How does this war progress? Has the American experiment failed? Meanwhile, war rages in Europe, with the British fighting Napoleon's French Empire on the continent as the Frenchman looks to build an empire from Iberia to Siberia.

2) A New Era. Set in 1901, just after the death of Queen Victoria. The young King Edward VII sits on the British throne as fissures in the great British Empire began to develop. How will he respond to these challenges and set himself apart from his mighty mother? Across the Atlantic, the American President William McKinley is seeking to build an empire of his own and has come into conflict with the Spanish in the process while also having to deal with a rise in radical labor at home.

3) Gods and Men. It is 1630. King Charles II has just reclaimed the throne of England in the name of his late father. Now he must deal with rebuilding his kingdom, as well as dealing with matters of faith, as rumors abound that he harbors Catholic sentiments. The tides are also turning in foreign policy, as the Anglo-Dutch alliance established under Queen Elizabeth is fraying and there is support growing for a pro-French policy in court.

Does anyone have any thoughts or input as to what idea they like the most (or dislike the most)?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 08:29:59 PM »

Would people rather see a new nation game a la Dynasties and Empires or a new mock parliament a la The Great Experiment? I'm very open, and interested, in moving down either path.

I think that the nation game, if that's the path, would be a War of 1812/Napoleonic game.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 09:24:27 PM »

Would people rather see a new nation game a la Dynasties and Empires or a new mock parliament a la The Great Experiment? I'm very open, and interested, in moving down either path.

I think that the nation game, if that's the path, would be a War of 1812/Napoleonic game.

Both sound excellent to be honest, and would enthusiastically play either. 1812 would seem slightly more appealing not knowing what the mock parliament setting would be, what did you had in mind?

If that is the route, I would go with something similar to your Great Experiment, although probably set a little later on. Probably either the 1860s (post-Civil War) or the 1910s (as a build up to the Great War).
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 01:18:00 PM »

I've decided on the War of 1812/Napoleonic game. It will probably be posted this weekend. Stay tuned!
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 08:41:18 PM »

I've decided on the War of 1812/Napoleonic game. It will probably be posted this weekend. Stay tuned!

Did you see my PM?

I did, and I made note of it.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 03:34:12 PM »

My game has been posted!

Kingpoleon has claimed Napoleon, via PM, so I will honor that request. If he does not post in the game thread that he wants to continue as Napoleon in the next 48 hours, I will open Napoleon to other players.

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 06:28:02 PM »

It looks like about four year ago, GoTFan ran a ASOAIF-style game set around Lord of the Rings (https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=240917.0). Would there be any interest in me reviving such a game? Or has the community moved away from these types of games?
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 05:04:54 PM »

I don’t want to spread the player base any thinner than it already is and will suspend my Canada game if another strategy game emerges in short order.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 01:45:47 PM »

Is there any interest in starting a new ASOIAF game? Watching the trailer for the upcoming House of the Dragon series sparked that old itch for me. I don’t want to do it if there isn’t interest though. I know we tried last summer to do an ASOIAF game that didn’t really get off the ground.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2021, 09:26:06 AM »

Is there any interest in starting a new ASOIAF game? Watching the trailer for the upcoming House of the Dragon series sparked that old itch for me. I don’t want to do it if there isn’t interest though. I know we tried last summer to do an ASOIAF game that didn’t really get off the ground.

I’d be game

I’ll start working on a backstory/sign up thread this week and we can see where player interest is at that point.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2022, 02:49:23 PM »

Would there be interested in a new ASOIAF game? I’m hoping House of the Dragon has relit the fire that Season 8 dampened in many people.

To avoid conflicting with the ongoing show, I was considering something set in 50 AC, with young King Jaehaerys I and his sister-wife Alysanne on Dragonstone, Queen Regent Alyssa and Lord Hand Rogar Baratheon in King’s Landing, Queen Rhaena on Fair Isle, and the Faith as the main key players.

Would there be interest? I wouldn’t want to draw people away from Lumine’s fantastic ongoing game, and so I would ultimately defer to Lumine as to whether or not to start this game or sit on it until his game runs it’s course (hopefully not too soon!).
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2024, 06:42:59 PM »

Would there be interest in either a 2024 UK election game or a 2024 US election game starting in the next week or so?

I really enjoyed the 2019 UK game I did but I'm worried the current situation in the UK (Labour with a 30 point lead) would make it less fun. A US game would start in the summer of 2023 and be faster paced than past US election games.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies