Game Suggestion Thread - (Proposals, Ideas, Reserves) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:15:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Game Suggestion Thread - (Proposals, Ideas, Reserves) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Game Suggestion Thread - (Proposals, Ideas, Reserves)  (Read 59770 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« on: February 17, 2018, 05:13:03 PM »

Evening!

I've started this thread as one of several measures I'm considering to address either an excess or a lack of games (both of which happen from time to time).

The purpose of this thread is multiple, including proposals for games you'd like to see on the board, ideas for games you plan to host (so people are aware of what games may come in the future), reserving a concept or a scenario to avoid having too many games on the same subject, and so on.

If well used, I'd imagine this could allow us to coordinate games more efficiently, as well as measure public interest on the ideas people may have.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 05:57:09 PM »

As for myself I'm fully occupied with Forward (2012 Election Game) and The Death of Kings (ASOIAF-based game), but I would like to reserve a concept for an historical game to host at some point, although I have no idea when.

Provisional Title: "Dynasties and Empires"

Context: A game set in 1519, right at the onset of the Protestant Reformation, the Spanish Conquest of the Americas, the supremacy of the Ottoman Empire, the conflict between the young monarchs Henry VIII of England, Charles I of Spain and Francis I of France, and an election for Holy Roman Emperor which might decide the future of the Empire.

Among the playable characters one would find famous monarchs such as Henry VIII, Charles V, Francis I, Manuel I (Portugal) and Selim I, as well as other relevant characters such as the beleaugered Pope Leo X, James V of Scotland, the infortunate Louis II of Hungary and Bohemia, the Republic of Venice, the conflicting King of Denmark and the Swedish Regent and so on.

And, given the richness of the moment, the wide cast would also allow interaction with characters such as Cardinal Wolsey, Martin Luther, Moctezuma and the conquistadors, Richard de la Pole (last of the Yorkist claimants), Catherine of Aragon, the explorer Magellan, and so on. The game would most likely feature turns of one year, so we can advance into a much different world.

I was bored the other day, so I also took the time to make a map for future use (with the undiscovered areas hidden, as players will have to be both skilled and lucky to discover much of the New World):

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 06:24:44 PM »

I just noticed two more election games, maybe the creators should not start game play till one of the other election games is done with

While I can't compel people not to host games, I've said several times oversaturation of election games helps no one. In fact, it hinders games, reducing potential players and dividing up efforts an energy.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »

Maybe we should stop flooding the forum with the same type of games that keep failing. Just a thought.

Please. Gentlemen, do we really need more than one election game running at the same time? It would be much easier to have an active, engaged election game with a large playerbase if there weren't several election games that suffer an early death.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 11:27:43 PM »

Considering how amazing Concert of Europe was and how disappointed I was when the English Civil War game was cancelled and Windjammer's World War I game was delayed, I believe that someone should make another historical strategy game. My recommendations are a 16th century Italian Wars game, a Thirty Years' War game, or a Louis XIV wars game.

I'd like to strongly endorse this and encourage someone who wishes to host a historical game to do so. I am in no state to host (nor will I be for a while), but I would very much enjoy playing one of these games.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 11:35:12 AM »

I have certain plans for a new, slightly different British 17th century game if there is interest? With players controlling individual political characters rather than whole nations

I would enjoy such a game, Garlan! I hope you go forward with the concept.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 10:43:53 PM »

Noted! I'll work up some stuff - shall I then plonk it here or in own thread?

Working title - Mercurius Britannicus...

By all means, Garlan, create your own thread if you're ready!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 04:41:52 PM »

Bumping this because I'm dying to play a strategy game, just in case there's someone tempted to host.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »

Bumping this because I'm dying to play a strategy game, just in case there's someone tempted to host.

One idea I have been having, (my schedule is a little crazy so I was hoping you could host, but I think you want to play) is a Kaiserreich Game based off the HOI4 Mod. Basically just BoP in the Kaiserreich world. If I were to host, I would definitely need your help on doing so. I know a couple of folks were interested.

Oh, I'd love that! I played Kaiserreich on DH and I love the mod, it certainly offers much potential as a BoP style game. Myself I cannot host because of my present condition (which led to my inability to continue The Death of Kings) and would wish to play, but I can offer necessary input and advice (or help with maps, backstory and the like) without problems.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 06:22:10 PM »

As for myself I'm fully occupied with Forward (2012 Election Game) and The Death of Kings (ASOIAF-based game), but I would like to reserve a concept for an historical game to host at some point, although I have no idea when.

Provisional Title: "Dynasties and Empires"

Context: A game set in 1519, right at the onset of the Protestant Reformation, the Spanish Conquest of the Americas, the supremacy of the Ottoman Empire, the conflict between the young monarchs Henry VIII of England, Charles I of Spain and Francis I of France, and an election for Holy Roman Emperor which might decide the future of the Empire.

Among the playable characters one would find famous monarchs such as Henry VIII, Charles V, Francis I, Manuel I (Portugal) and Selim I, as well as other relevant characters such as the beleaugered Pope Leo X, James V of Scotland, the infortunate Louis II of Hungary and Bohemia, the Republic of Venice, the conflicting King of Denmark and the Swedish Regent and so on.

And, given the richness of the moment, the wide cast would also allow interaction with characters such as Cardinal Wolsey, Martin Luther, Moctezuma and the conquistadors, Richard de la Pole (last of the Yorkist claimants), Catherine of Aragon, the explorer Magellan, and so on. The game would most likely feature turns of one year, so we can advance into a much different world.

I was bored the other day, so I also took the time to make a map for future use (with the undiscovered areas hidden, as players will have to be both skilled and lucky to discover much of the New World):

I really like this idea and will put it in my pocket, with Lumine's permission, for when the Encore of Europe reaches its natural conclusion.

By all means! Feel free to use it.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 08:39:35 PM »

Alternatively, I've started reading "The Heir Apparent: A Life of Edward VII, the Playboy Prince" by Jane Ridley. It's sparked my interested in the Late Victorian/Edwardian eras. Would there maybe be interest in a 1900-ish Encore of Europe type game?

I'm always down for those. Taking the evolved concept of Concert/Encore and combining it with the setting of Balance of Power would make for a great experience.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 10:25:12 PM »

Frankly, I've always thought we need a Napoleonic Game, the last one to take place there was one of the earlier ones some five to six years ago. I'd probably play all three of them, but some Napoleonic setting is something that I think has a lot of potential.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 09:09:43 PM »

Would people rather see a new nation game a la Dynasties and Empires or a new mock parliament a la The Great Experiment? I'm very open, and interested, in moving down either path.

I think that the nation game, if that's the path, would be a War of 1812/Napoleonic game.

Both sound excellent to be honest, and would enthusiastically play either. 1812 would seem slightly more appealing not knowing what the mock parliament setting would be, what did you had in mind?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 04:53:26 PM »

I've decided on the War of 1812/Napoleonic game. It will probably be posted this weekend. Stay tuned!

I await with great interest, good sir!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 10:08:17 PM »

Would there be any enthusiasm some time in the future for a GoT game that takes the HBO ending and moves on a generation to next
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

?

I think it could be really good fun and interesting, possibly using leonardo’s diplomacraft system, which I really liked...

Sounds a great idea for me.

But unfortunately it seems that I was the only one who liked this idea.

To be honest I would be beyond enthusiastic for a game with Garlan as GM - though I'd probably wouldn't have the time to play -, it's just that with the HBO Ending being so... let's say controversial (and questionable in terms of the politics) it may be too soon? Perhaps a different setting (ASOIAF or historical) might have even greater potential.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 10:22:08 PM »

The Freys game in which Garlan was the GM was great, maybe the idea would be better for the game to happen after Bran's death, but as for other scenarios, maybe the Dragon Dance?, Or one of the Blackfyre Rebellions ? but I think several other scenarios that may be more interesting than the world of Got after Season 8 I'll admit.

There's certainly a lot of scenarios within ASOIAF, thankfully. There's indeed the Dance of the Dragons, the Blackfyre rebellions and the Great Council of Aegon V, there could be an alternate end to Robert's Rebellion that ends with a Great Council to elect a King, and so on.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 10:47:57 PM »

The Freys game in which Garlan was the GM was great, maybe the idea would be better for the game to happen after Bran's death, but as for other scenarios, maybe the Dragon Dance?, Or one of the Blackfyre Rebellions ? but I think several other scenarios that may be more interesting than the world of Got after Season 8 I'll admit.

There's certainly a lot of scenarios within ASOIAF, thankfully. There's indeed the Dance of the Dragons, the Blackfyre rebellions and the Great Council of Aegon V, there could be an alternate end to Robert's Rebellion that ends with a Great Council to elect a King, and so on.

I usually walk at a time thinking about how it would be a game in which Robert's Rebellion ends differently and a Renly as a child is King on the Iron Throne and then would advance to 17 years ahead and could have several changes in the recent history of Westeros.

Not bad! There was a Fan Fic I read once - a decent one - in which Jon Arryn ended up taking the throne after a very messy end of the war, that should be interesting if you fast-forward and he dies without an heir (no Robin, for example). There's certainly room to experiment.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 08:11:28 PM »

It may be excessive optimism on my behalf, but despite facing an unyielding amount of RL pressure since March it seems likely pressure will return to normal on July-August, hence allowing me to make an attempt at hosting something (possibly an ASOIAF Game, something UK-based or re-starting one of the games I suspended due to RL issues).

(It's all really hypothetical, but if someone is interested in suggestions I'd love to hear them)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 02:04:47 PM »

It will likely be months before I have time (perhaps the end of 2020 and beginning of 2021?) - and before things stabilize enough to make a player base likely -, but I'd like to reserve a couple of concepts for another Mock Parliament session in advance.

Mock Parliament 1: American Civil War - I have always wanted to simulate the Civil War, and unsuccessfully tried to do so in Balance of Power 1861. Not sure if the setting would be the historical war itself (starting on 1861 or 1862) or a sequel to The Great Experiment (the 1789-1794 game about a US parliamentary system) before a Civil War happens, but I'd love to see a game in which players could roleplay as politicians or generals and influence the course of the war.

Mock Parliament 2: French Revolution - Another setting I'd like to try, mostly because I'd love to see how players would roleplay Robespierre, Fouche, Danton and so many others. Likely to be either a 1792 setting or a 1793-1794 one.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2020, 11:55:57 PM »

Lifting my reserve on a French Revolution concept, keeping a reserve on an American Civil War game as my next tentative project, hopefully once the thesis is finished in a few months. A few more details:

Project A, Direct Civil War Game: Sort of a combination of the BoP/CoP format, some of the concepts expoused by more recent games (NTP's attempted Civil War games, perhaps the Keys to the White House format), and some ideas I outlined a couple of years ago. It essentially allows players to roleplay historical characters and influence the course of the Civil War as politicians or generals in the Confederacy or the South (or, if the cast is large enough, perhaps other groups as well), potentially starting either with the 1860 Election or, for a more streamlined simulation, April 1861.

Project B, Mock Parliament Sequel: It would be a sequel to The Great Experiment, starting in the 1850's once the party system collapses. Players would be allowed to form new parties and take it from there, dealing with a number of issues like slavery, expansion and industrialization (this is a more open ended concept, which may or may not end in a civil war).

This is a long term thing, but will be happy to hear ideas, suggestions or interest from other players as well (though god knows what things will be in the near future).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2020, 04:46:30 PM »

I yield the Civil War simulation concept, will eventually be doing a Mock Parliament sequel to The Great Experiment set in 1854. Partly because research has resulted in me realizing what a fascinating period the 1850's are, partly because a direct Civil War simulation has the potential to be somewhat more insensitive if not handled properly (possible Confederate apologism and all).

Regretfully I can't play Dkrol's game because of a genuine lack of knowledge of Canadian politics, but would probably sign up to play a new strategy game (particularly a Wallace-run one).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2020, 05:29:10 PM »

I yield the Civil War simulation concept, will eventually be doing a Mock Parliament sequel to The Great Experiment set in 1854. Partly because research has resulted in me realizing what a fascinating period the 1850's are, partly because a direct Civil War simulation has the potential to be somewhat more insensitive if not handled properly (possible Confederate apologism and all).

Regretfully I can't play Dkrol's game because of a genuine lack of knowledge of Canadian politics, but would probably sign up to play a new strategy game (particularly a Wallace-run one).

Having had a lot of time to think about this (and having talked to some people about the more sensitive aspects of the matter), I reclaim a direct Civil War simulation as my next project (most likely after Spamage and KaiserDave's games are over, assuming other people don't want to run their own strategy game) as opposed to a Mock Parliament revival of my own. Unlike other short term interests, I find myself still fascinated by this period after several months.

The 1932 German game has been really inspiring in terms of providing a different way to do things, and I'd really like to adapt the format, which I think is also well suited to the Civil War and would allow people to roleplay a wide array of characters. Thinking of allowing players to briefly roleplay a "Prologue" with the 1860 election and formation of the Confederacy (so as to perhaps allow for different USA and CSA leadership) and then start at some point within Fort Sumter and Bull Run/Manassas.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2021, 05:43:51 PM »

Depending on what happens with Revolution and The Lamps are Going Out (which is say, if they continue and only once they're over) I'd like to attempt a traditional nation game.

Giving serious thought to a WWII game as it hasn't been attempted, though I am not sure what the ideal starting date would be. Considering July 1940 for a proper war game, or 1933/1936/1939 as pre-war starts, with the only main issue being the problem of excessive player hindsight.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2021, 09:48:04 PM »

Depending on what happens with Revolution and The Lamps are Going Out (which is say, if they continue and only once they're over) I'd like to attempt a traditional nation game.

Giving serious thought to a WWII game as it hasn't been attempted, though I am not sure what the ideal starting date would be. Considering July 1940 for a proper war game, or 1933/1936/1939 as pre-war starts, with the only main issue being the problem of excessive player hindsight.

Update to this: after some meditation (and very useful advice) I have decided indeed on The Gathering Storm (1939) as my next project, though it will include a couple of new rules for the sake of balance (I won't be allowing claims just yet, sorry NYE).

I'll move forward with it once YPestis's 1914 project is successfully completed.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2021, 11:41:14 PM »

Yes, sadly I was unable to fill Berchtold, and won't have time to delay the game until the fall with my upcoming school schedule. Very much looking forward to your game, however!

Oh, sorry to hear it won't be taking place (it certainly looked like something fascinating to witness!), but I do hope you may have time to play nonetheless.

Since neither game appears to be continuing, I'll be posting the sign-up thread most likely tomorrow, after I've had a chance to work out the rules and the maps.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies