Restrictions for the Second Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:09:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Restrictions for the Second Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Restrictions for the Second Amendment  (Read 1412 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2018, 08:48:31 PM »

As it relates to the first amendment, we generally accept the restrictions of “clear and present danger.” However, for the second amendment, I think the consensus is quite a bit less clear. Should and individual’s right of property, esp. in this case the limits of property of weapons, “probable future danger considering person’s past”? Where should the limits of “too deadly to own” be placed - semi-automatics, old full automatics, or assault rifles? I don’t typically see people approach ideas for these limits on a constitutional and legal scale.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 11:06:09 PM »

*"Imminent Lawless Action"
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 09:22:09 PM »

I don't think the Constitution clearly predicted the future, and now we have rapid-firing military weapons.

I wouldn't blame the Founding Fathers for thinking that we would have guns that didn't require you to not reload after one shot.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 10:08:35 PM »

It's overdue to get rid of the amendment completely and I guarantee you that day will come.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 10:42:16 PM »

It's overdue to get rid of the amendment completely and I guarantee you that day will come.

Yeah, we need a full-scale gun ban. The military and police are the only people who need guns...and you could probably remove the police from that list if you really wanted too.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 11:17:01 PM »

Yeah, we need a full-scale gun ban. The military and police are the only people who need guns...and you could probably remove the police from that list if you really wanted too.
Taking away hundreds of millions of firearms is no small feat and could easily spark a civil war.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 11:47:45 PM »

Taking away hundreds of millions of firearms is no small feat and could easily spark a civil war.

And I don't understand why a self-described "liberal" would want to give the military and police an unchecked monopoly on physical force. 
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 11:55:17 PM »

And I don't understand why a self-described "liberal" would want to give the military and police an unchecked monopoly on physical force. 

It could be paired with a constitutional amendment requiring the military to only carry weapons to defend the country from invasion.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:27:12 PM »

Remember that you have to have a wide consensus to adopt a constitutional amendment and you have to be prepared to compromise.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 08:57:47 PM »

Remember that you have to have a wide consensus to adopt a constitutional amendment and you have to be prepared to compromise.

I don't see anything that could get ratified at present, much less approved by either Congress or a Convention to be sent to the States.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 06:59:08 PM »

Many self-described liberals want government monopolies on things like healthcare, education, and other things.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies