How do democrats win back Ohio (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:14:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  How do democrats win back Ohio (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do democrats win back Ohio  (Read 1414 times)
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« on: February 19, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »

Columbus is among the city candidates to host the 2020 DNC so maybe it could help to win Ohio if the Democrats hold the 2020 DNC in Columbus.

Holding a convention in your target state hardly helps to win elections.  The Democrats lost Pennsylvania in 2016, North Carolina in 2012, Georgia in 1988.  And the Republicans lost Florida in 2012 and Minnesota in 2008 and New York in 2004.  And so on.

To win Ohio, it's going to take a candidate that demonstrates empathy with the white working/middle class--an economic message that would appeal to the broad regions there.  

The current message coming out of the national Democratic party sucks.  Just look at the county returns in states like Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia from 1996 and 2016.  What happened??  (This is a rhetorical question).

What it really means is that the Democrats aren't going to win the flyover areas without making a serious appeal to them--whether they are white or non-white.  And that makes it almost impossible to win in 2020 (much less the Senate and House).  

Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2018, 09:47:07 AM by North Fulton Democrat »

I'd rather have Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Florida back.

I'd also rather focus on flipping Arizona and Georgia.

I would say that my previous comments would probably be more effective in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.  Ohio will be difficult--southern Ohio resembles northern/eastern Kentucky and West Virginia.

Florida is more in the flipping Arizona and Georgia category.  For all of the media hype of Hispanics moving into Florida (or African-Americans moving into Georgia), there are large segments of white retiree types that are moving into areas such as The Villages, the Panhandle, or the Gulf Coast areas.  Similar to here in Georgia--though I believe that it's a younger white population moving into the Atlanta areas.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies