When did you feel Hillary Clinton was in Danger of losing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:19:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  When did you feel Hillary Clinton was in Danger of losing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: When did you feel Hillary Clinton was in Danger of losing  (Read 18702 times)
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:25:58 PM »
« edited: February 20, 2018, 01:46:18 AM by Da2017 »

After the election her loss was not a surprise after all. I thought Trump did everything was totally wrong. At one point around Mid October I thought she was going to win in a landslide. The warning signs were definitely there.
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 09:28:28 PM »

Didn't really care. The election to me felt more like a game of chance.
JG

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:31:34 PM »

After the Comey letter.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 09:39:45 PM »

I thought about it once in mid-October because I saw such fervent support of Trump around me and just "meh" support for her. But I wrote it off as just me being in a red state and put it out of my mind.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 10:04:07 PM »

Election night. There were certainly bad signs before then, but I had more faith in our country.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:29:13 PM »

When I turned election coverage on at about 9:30 central time on November 8.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 10:57:01 PM »

The first time was at the "basket of deplorables" comment. After the Access Hollywood tapes came out, I regained my confidence that she'd win comfortably that I maintained until election night.

When the results came in, my first indication Trump might actually win was when I saw she was losing Florida after the SE counties dumped their early votes. The first half hour or so of Wisconsin votes was when I suddenly realized that not only could she lose, but that, barring something really crazy happening, she would lose.
Boss_Rahm
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 11:22:07 PM »

At no point during the campaign did I think a Clinton win was a sure thing.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 01:46:46 AM »

Pretty much the entire time, with the blip known as the DNC Convention-9/11 where Trump insulted that Gold Star Family and Manafort was going into freefall as the lone exception.

Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 08:54:20 AM »

When I started to see that a few swing towns near me went trump I knew it was close, but when trump was only down .5% before the Florida panhandle came in I knew he had a good dhot
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 09:13:34 AM »

I was out of the country from August-October and not paying super close attention to the day-to-day of the campaign. But when she collapsed at the 9/11 memorial, that made international headlines, and I actually had someone come up to me in Tblisi to ask if I thought Trump might win as a result. I always thought that was a very passing and non-scandalous event, and I think it was something that a lot of Americans figured "oh, we've moved past the point as a country where someone falling over can have an impact on an election." Of course, that's definitely not the case and that ended up being a pretty big symbolic weight against her. So that was probably the first time I thought she seemed in legitimate danger of losing the general.

Of course, that was before the Access Hollywood tape, which I think everyone figured sealed up the campaign for her. Even after the Comey letter, while I did think that put her "in danger of losing" again, I never thought it was less than probably 65-35 odds in her favor after Access Hollywood.

There was also a period right around the time the Nevada polls closed during the primaries when someone mistakenly told me Bernie was way ahead that I thought she was going to lose the primaries. 
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »

I always knew she could lose, but I went into election night thinking it was very unlikely.  I got nervous when Kentucky was going for Trump by 30 points, even though  it was never a question that Trump would carry that state.  Then Hillary was falling short in Florida.  Uh-oh!  Then she didn’t have Pennsylvania, or Michigan, or Wisconsin in the bag.  Then it appeared Trump would probably win.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 11:34:27 AM »

When she fainted
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 11:39:51 AM »

I always felt she was in some danger of losing, because the polls were within the margin of error during many points of the campaign, especially towards the end.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »

I thought she was gonna win for most of the campaign and even going into election night, but I knew she wasn't winning in a landslide. At best, she'd win Obama 2008 minus Indiana and I only thought this scenario was possible before Trump got into the race and Jeb was the front runner, and was possible after the Access Hollywood tape came out. With that said, when Florida was lost and Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania were so close that they were in danger of going Republican, I knew Trump was gonna win.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 12:58:51 PM »

Kentucky.

Yes, yes, Trump was always guaranteed to win KY in a landslide, but when one saw that wild swing among white voters...
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »

I'm not going to be a revisionist historian; I personally never thought she had a chance at losing. I didn't think she was in danger of losing until Trump maintained his lead in Florida for good with around 90% of the vote in.

I never expected her to win Ohio or North Carolina, but once I saw Trump had the lead essentially right from the start in Michigan and Wisconsin I knew it was unequivocally over. I had to be up at 6 AM the next morning, so I ended up going to bed at around 12:15 AM Eastern Time, right when Trump caught up and took the lead in Pennsylvania. It was 244-209 according to CNN at the time, but I knew Trump had won. I remember thinking after turning the TV off that Hillary needed a miracle in Michigan, Pennsylvania, AND Wisconsin in order to win, and she was trailing in all three.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 03:50:39 PM »

Early 2016, but it rose in the last week of the election. Everyone on here was still delusional and arrogant which probably helped trump get over the top.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 03:50:45 PM »

Kentucky.

Yes, yes, Trump was always guaranteed to win KY in a landslide, but when one saw that wild swing among white voters...

I felt some hope when I saw her winning Louisville and Lexington handily, as it was sign of overperformance among more urban, educated voters, but it wouldn't be enough in the end.  
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 03:52:19 PM »

In the last couple days of the campaign after the comey letter I saw a huge rise of overconfidence and compliance for clinton and a surge in excitement among my Trump supporting friends. I looked at the electoral map and could not see how a trump win was plausible but my gut told me it was going to happen.
My dad was so overconfident in a Clinton win he predicted a  50 state landslide on election day.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »

When

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/iowa-poll/2016/11/05/iowa-poll-trump-opens-7-point-lead-over-clinton/93347134/

Came out where Trump had a 7 point lead over Clinton in IA a couple days before the election.  That alerted me to the possibility that PA and MI could actually go Trump (although I mentally still ruled out WI.)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 05:19:26 PM »

Not until 3 AM EST.

I went to bed at midnight after CO had been called for Clinton; I still thought Clinton would win. I slept soundly for 3 hours, then woke up, checked my phone, and realized Trump almost had it. Shortly afterward PA was called for Trump, and it was over. I tossed and turned the rest of the night.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 07:19:45 PM »

When I read a Daily Kos article a few days before the election where someone was discussing how they were worried that Russia was going to throw the election to Trump by hacking voting machines and changing vote totals to throw the election to Trump was literally the 1st time in the entire cycle I started to worry that Trump might win.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 09:26:50 PM »

2013 or 2014.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 10:34:11 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2018, 02:18:08 AM by JGibson »

1st moment: The original emails announcement by Comey on 07.05.2016, the killing of 5 cops in Dallas while supervising a BLM protest against the shootings of Castile and Sterling.

2nd moment: "Basket of Deplorables" comment and 9/11 memorial fall.

3rd moment: The Obamacare premium hikes announcement. (This was a far bigger factor for House and Senate contests than even the Presidency in favor of the GOP.)

4th moment: Comey letter on 10.28.2016.

5th moment: While Trump was favored to win big time in Indiana and Kentucky, the massive margins that Hillary lost by was concerning (see Elliott County, KY).

6th moment: The results coming in showing Florida in the lead for Trump at 90%+ of the vote in.

7th moment: The results showing that Minnesota became too close to call, Ohio and Iowa being bigly for Trump, Michigan and Wisconsin favoring Trump, and 45 coming from behind to win Pennsylvania.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies