When did you feel Hillary Clinton was in Danger of losing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:53:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  When did you feel Hillary Clinton was in Danger of losing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: When did you feel Hillary Clinton was in Danger of losing  (Read 18631 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 11:10:14 PM »

Hmm. I'd say around April 2016 when it became clear that the spoiled brat-ism of the Bernie people was never going to wear off.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 10:16:23 PM »

When I watched a reportage on German TV about the problems, mood and atmosphere of different American citizens in the environment of the U.S. election.
Many people who I never thought would vote for Trump supported him. When several black people from Maryland and white evangelical women from the Dakotas I started thinking: "Well, maybe she won't win in a landslide..."
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2018, 12:42:16 PM »

Trump's convention speech. I had a weird gut feeling that he could pull it off.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 12:10:02 AM »

I had a sneaking suspicion Trump would win from like 2014, but I never really thought he’d actually pull it off until Michigan and Wisconsin came in. Gut feeling =/= actual belief. I’m still shocked he managed it.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 02:20:41 AM »

I didn't think she would lose until some time after the polls had closed. I initially saw that she was down in Florida and North Carolina, but I also knew that those were two states which she could afford to lose. I also saw that she was down early in Virginia but then I saw an article by the NY Times stating that it was not unusual for the Democratic candidate to initially trail in VA shortly after polls close, even when the final result is a Democratic win. Then, when I initially went to bed around 9:30 pm, I saw several developments which really set off alarm bells:

-The NY Times election forecast started to favor Trump, and was progressively moving in Trump's direction.
-NYT was also predicting Trump as the expected winner of Michigan, which I never seriously considered to be plausible in the days and months leading up to Election Day.

At that point, I couldn't bear continuing to follow the election live, so I drifted off to sleep. I then briefly woke about two hours later, only to find that Wisconsin had been marked red on Wikipedia (another development I never expected) and that the NY Times forecast needle had moved all the way to the right. That was when I realized that the outcome of the election was all but guaranteed to be the opposite of what I had been expecting.
Metalhead123

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 08:21:12 AM »

A few days prior to the election, I started seeing it as actually possible that Trump could pull it off. I didn't completely believe it until I saw that Trump was leading in Virginia for a little while before the results for Northern Virginia came in on election night.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 12:01:36 PM »

Literally every time I drove around rural Pennsylvania. To be honest, it wasn't until after Access Hollywood that I became really worried that she would win PA. Luckily, the emails cancelled it out.
Izzyeviel
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 09:28:56 PM »

I was tracking the polls and I noticed a shift in August from Hillary to Trump that I got a bit depressed and stopped tracking them. Then Pussygate happened and until that Comey thing, I wasn't worried at all.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »

Everyone on here was still delusional and arrogant which probably helped trump get over the top.
The posts on an obscure message board gave the election to Trump. Interesting.
UncleSam

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 06:41:04 PM »

I thought it was close up until the first debate. After that, I was pretty sure she had it right up until the Comey letter. After that, I felt it was a coin flip with maybe a slight edge to Hillary but no where near a landslide. I never thought Wisconsin would be in play though - I thought that Trump would win Romney 2012 + OH, IA, and a 50/50 in Florida. I felt that if he were winning Florida, however, he would be winning Michigan. I actually thought Michigan would vote to the right of FL and maybe even NC lol, that was how badly Hillary did at appealing to that state. PA I had no clue but thought Clinton should win it, since se had been campaigning strongly there. Turns out my guess of her relative performance was more or less right, I just underestimated Trump in PA and overestimated him in MI.

Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »

I always assumed Hillary was favored to an extent (like 60-66% favorite) but was never on the "inevitable" train like many people were, I think I started really think Trump was going to outperform his polls when 1. The Clinton campaign cancelled fireworks at the Javits center a few nights before the election which meant they saw that the election could go on pretty late and 2. When Florida returns began to show that the massive surge in Latino votes or a massive shift in the womens was not happening
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2018, 05:12:00 PM »

whats interesting to me is the truth is there was a surge of latino voters Clinton outperformed Obama there was also a massive surge of older retires who moved to florida because of the weather which pushed Trump over the edge in Florida
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2018, 05:29:42 PM »

whats interesting to me is the truth is there was a surge of latino voters Clinton outperformed Obama there was also a massive surge of older retires who moved to florida because of the weather which pushed Trump over the edge in Florida
Yes the Hispanic vote increased but it was nowhere near what pundits expected, also exit polls showed Hispanics actually shifted slightly to Trump from Romney
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2018, 11:14:22 PM »

When she first ran.

And boy did it feel good to know that.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2018, 11:25:50 PM »

About 10 days before, when I voted early for Trump.  The access Hollywood stuffbhad nearly shaken my resolve to vote for Trump.  As I marked my vote, I felt a premonition that this could happen. After experiencing the Goldwater debacle, I had always feared that result again. But that fear finally passed.  I just felt the country would not elect that e-mail destroying, influence pedaling, Bill enabling witch.  My feeling of elation will never pass.

I am coming back tonight to read these threads to relive the elation.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2018, 09:42:18 AM »

I thought about it once in mid-October because I saw such fervent support of Trump around me and just "meh" support for her. But I wrote it off as just me being in a red state and put it out of my mind.

Especially the northern part of our state.  Man, so many idiots.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 09:46:28 PM »

I was back and forth on her chances throughout the entire campaign according to the media cycle. I was confident of her victory post-convention. Worried about her chances again in early-mid September, pre-debates when the Clinton Foundation was in the news. After all of the debates plus the Access Hollywood tape I was extremely confident again. Then the Comey incident happened in late October and I just knew that if Trump didn't have another Access Hollywood level media bombshell within the next few days that it was over, Trump would win. I was under the impression that he would win everything he did but with the addition of New Hampshire instead of Michigan and Wisconsin, I still thought those would be locks for Hillary, even if they were by very miniscule margins. I was both wrong and right at the same time. It still hurts.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2018, 07:46:34 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2018, 11:58:17 PM by Oak Hills »

I always assumed Hillary was favored but Trump still had a chance up till mid-October. However, after the third debate I thought it was over and he had run out of time to turn it around. It wasn't till about 10 p.m. on election night that I realized he had an >0.1% or so chance of winning. Granted, I wasn't paying close attention to the early returns because I was eating dinner out between about 7:30 and 8:30, so I didn't notice any early warning signs. In fact, when Trump had an early lead in Michigan and Wisconsin I assumed it was just because the cities hadn't reported yet or something.
Annatar
Australia

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 09:29:13 PM »

It was in the last few days that I thought not only was Clinton in danger of losing but was probably going to lose, this was due to the fact that it had became clear by Nov 7 that Trump was outperforming Romney in the early vote in North Carolina and Florida and had a comfortable lead in the polls on Ohio. Thus he had all 3 states effectively locked up.

In addition, what really made me think Clinton was in deep trouble were the Pennsylvania polls, a Gravis poll conducted Nov 1-2 had Clinton +2 in PA, a Harper poll done Nov 2-3 had a tie, and a Trafalgar poll done Nov 3-5 had Trump +1. All of the polls that were conducted solely in November either had a tight race or Trump up, that was what made me think he was probably going to flip PA and win, it still astounds me that the media was not paying attention to these polls, the media should have given a lot more attention to the fact that all the polls done in Nov in PA showed basically a 50/50 race with all the movement going in Trumps favor. 
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2018, 01:31:51 AM »

Probably the first moment was in May when Clinton lost her lead in the polls and Trump was gaining momentum. The moment I was most afraid was right before the debates, as she'd had a very bad September and I thought Trump would win the debate-as the challenger usually does, he had a very low bar to overcome and it could've been another Lauer fiasco. I thought she could lose after the Comey letter but didn't see Trump winning the upper Midwest and thought she'd probably win.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2018, 08:11:45 AM »

The first time on election night when I wondered if it would happen was when Bayh's Senate race was called straight away. I knew that meant he'd been crushed, and signaled the Democrats had lost the Senate.

And then when the results from Virginia came in and she was only leading by 4-5%, and was getting killed in the western parts of the state, I knew it was in real danger.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2018, 09:56:12 AM »

The first time on election night when I wondered if it would happen was when Bayh's Senate race was called straight away. I knew that meant he'd been crushed, and signaled the Democrats had lost the Senate.

And then when the results from Virginia came in and she was only leading by 4-5%, and was getting killed in the western parts of the state, I knew it was in real danger.
Wow, I wasn't following this early in the night, but that makes a lot of sense.

This is similar to when I knew the GOP was in for a big night in 2014 and would easily retake the Senate: Mitch McConnell's race, widely expected to be close, was called immediately after polls closed, and that was followed up by the Fox News Decision Desk saying Virginia was too close to call. Fox News had previously been so sure that the Virginia race would be called for Mark Warner immediately after the polls closed that they didn't even have it on their board, and their IT department had to scramble to get it added.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2018, 03:32:46 AM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2018, 03:48:20 AM »

I pretty much felt it was over by late spring 2016.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2018, 09:08:39 AM »

Never. During the campaign, I was always sure she'd win. Even when FL was called for Trump on election night, I was still confident he would lose in the end.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies