Early look at the Libertarian Party nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:51:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Early look at the Libertarian Party nomination
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is the best of these plausible LP candidates?
Tom Campbell

Mark Cuban

Jeff Flake

Zoltan Istvan

Adam Kokesh

Andrew Napolitano

Mary Ruwart

Larry Sharpe

Bill Weld

Tom Woods

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Early look at the Libertarian Party nomination  (Read 1326 times)
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2018, 06:56:35 PM »
« edited: February 19, 2018, 06:59:06 PM by sparkey »

They're Running
  • Adam Kokesh: Anarcho-capitalist talk show host and activist who has already filed. Popular with radicals but controversial generally due to his extreme positions and tendency to get jailed, he should pull supporters of Darryl W. Perry and could even win in a weak field.
  • Zoltan Istvan: Author, pop philosopher, and 2018 CA Gov. candidate who has already indicated in an interview that he plans to run for the LP's Presidential nomination in 2020. A heterodox moderate with a very strong focus on transhumanism. Although I like him, I suspect him to be regarded with suspicion as a self-promoter and not as dedicated to libertarianism as he is to transhumanism. He could shake up the race and attract similar support as McAfee in 2016.

They're Considering
  • Bill Weld: Former Governor of Massachusetts and 2016 VP candidate who has indicated in an interview that he hasn't ruled out running. Although perhaps the highest profile politician the LP could ask for, many in the party believe he ran a poor campaign in 2016 and is too moderate. He's also getting up there in age, in his mid 70s. Although he'd be the favorite in a field of others with no political experience, he could easily be overtaken by a less experienced rival.
  • Mary Ruwart: Author, scientist, and 2008 LP nomination runner-up, who has been profiled by Salon.com (of all places) as a possible 2020 candidate. Her softspoken demeanor is the opposite of Kokesh, but her policies are closer to his than to Weld's, so she would likely pull mainly from radicals, but with more crossover appeal than Kokesh. Old controversies about some of her more extreme positions would certainly resurface if she runs again. She will be in her 70s.
  • Larry Sharpe: Business consultant, 2016 VP nomination runner-up, and candidate for NY Governor. Has indicated that he wants a non-ex-GOP candidate in 2020 and could fit the bill himself. Very popular inside of the party, although not well known outside of it and lacking experience, he's a bit of a wild card. He certainly overperformed in the 2016 VP nomination race.

They're Plausible Recruits
  • Andrew Napolitano: Former Judge and talk show host, he will almost certain be recruited by paleolibertarians hoping for another Ron Paul. Considering his limited experience in electoral politics, he is liked enough by every wing of the party that he could easily win the nomination over more-qualified candidates. His inability to shy away from controversy could haunt him if he ran, though. He is already 67.
  • Tom Woods: Author and commentator, he could be an alternative to Napolitano for paleolibertarians looking for a representative. Previously skeptical of the party, he has lately been pushing for a "Mises Caucus," indicating an interest in stepping into LP politics. He doesn't have the crossover appeal of Napolitano, but doesn't lack charisma or knowledge. I'm not sure how well he would do.
  • Tom Campbell: Former Congressman from CA, whose mention as a possible Supreme Court pick by Gary Johnson reminded everybody that he was a bit libertarian-leaning. Certainly on the moderate side, and without party support, he seems more like a possible Weld VP pick than anything. He will be a little on the old side (late 60s).
  • Jeff Flake: Retiring Senator from AZ, he has indicated that he has not ruled out a run for the Presidency, but no indication yet of switching to the LP. He is very friendly with the libertarian Reason Foundation, but is definitely more moderate/conservative than the party as a whole. Nonetheless, he could be an attractive candidate as a bridge between Johnson 2016 and McMullin 2016 supporters, who could even offer putting Utah in play.
  • Mark Cuban: Businessman, he apparently appreciated when LP activists attempted to recruit him into the 2016 race. As with many of the bigger names, he is not such a dedicated libertarian as party activists might like, but since he's been speculated in the past and hasn't ruled anything out, he's worth mentioning.

They're Fantasy Recruits
  • Justin Amash: He seems to be on every list of possible LP candidates, and there may be no better possibility than him. But I think he must have a future GOP run in mind instead.
  • Thomas Massie: Similar to Justin Amash, although I see him gunning for higher office in KY instead, eventually.
  • Rand Paul: I don't see him bolting to the LP in 2020 if he didn't in 2016.
  • Ron Paul: He has rejoined the LP, but I don't see any eagerness on his part to return to running for office. He is already in his 80s.
  • Jesse Ventura: Come on, Jesse never decides to run.

They're Not Running
  • Gary Johnson: He's done. He gave it his best shot, and look at how you all treated him.
  • John McAfee: Running for President and seeing all the infighting soured him to the LP and politics in general.
  • Austin Petersen: He has switched to the GOP to run for Senate in Missouri, and it would be switching back and forth too quickly to immediately bolt back to the LP.
  • Darryl W. Perry: He has indicated a willingness to step aside and endorse Kokesh.
  • Joe Walsh: The former Congressman once indicated that he'd like to run for the LP nod, but that was assuming that Clinton won in 2016. He loves Trump too much to run against him.

They're Also-Rans
  • Steve Kerbel: Businessman and party activist from Colorado, he gave it a shot in 2016 and was considered a good debater, but had to step out due to health concerns. Likely to be an also-ran again if he tries again.
  • Cecil Ince: One of the weakest candidates in 2016, he has filed to run again in 2020 already. He at least made it to a state party debate, although he didn't perform well.
  • Joe Exotic: Already announced as an LP candidate, lucky us!
  • There are 7 other candidates who I haven't heard of who have already filed with the FEC to run for President as Libertarians.

Links

Feel free to add sources or your own speculation.
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 07:05:01 PM »

No populist libertarians in that name list makes me a bit sad
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 07:06:33 PM »

They're Running
  • ((((((Adam Kokesh)))))): Anarcho-capitalist talk show host and activist who has already filed. Popular with radicals but controversial generally due to his extreme positions and tendency to get jailed, he should pull supporters of Darryl W. Perry and could even win in a weak field.
  • Zoltan Istvan: Author, pop philosopher, and 2018 CA Gov. candidate who has already indicated in an interview that he plans to run for the LP's Presidential nomination in 2020. A heterodox moderate with a very strong focus on transhumanism. Although I like him, I suspect him to be regarded with suspicion as a self-promoter and not as dedicated to libertarianism as he is to transhumanism. He could shake up the race and attract similar support as McAfee in 2016.

They're Considering
  • Bill Weld: Former Governor of Massachusetts and 2016 VP candidate who has indicated in an interview that he hasn't ruled out running. Although perhaps the highest profile politician the LP could ask for, many in the party believe he ran a poor campaign in 2016 and is too moderate. He's also getting up there in age, in his mid 70s. Although he'd be the favorite in a field of others with no political experience, he could easily be overtaken by a less experienced rival.
  • Mary Ruwart: Author, scientist, and 2008 LP nomination runner-up, who has been profiled by Salon.com (of all places) as a possible 2020 candidate. Her softspoken demeanor is the opposite of Kokesh, but her policies are closer to his than to Weld's, so she would likely pull mainly from radicals, but with more crossover appeal than Kokesh. Old controversies about some of her more extreme positions would certainly resurface if she runs again. She will be in her 70s.
  • Larry Sharpe: Business consultant, 2016 VP nomination runner-up, and candidate for NY Governor. Has indicated that he wants a non-ex-GOP candidate in 2020 and could fit the bill himself. Very popular inside of the party, although not well known outside of it and lacking experience, he's a bit of a wild card. He certainly overperformed in the 2016 VP nomination race.

They're Plausible Recruits
  • Andrew Napolitano: Former Judge and talk show host, he will almost certain be recruited by paleolibertarians hoping for another Ron Paul. Considering his limited experience in electoral politics, he is liked enough by every wing of the party that he could easily win the nomination over more-qualified candidates. His inability to shy away from controversy could haunt him if he ran, though. He is already 67.
  • Tom Woods: Author and commentator, he could be an alternative to Napolitano for paleolibertarians looking for a representative. Previously skeptical of the party, he has lately been pushing for a "Mises Caucus," indicating an interest in stepping into LP politics. He doesn't have the crossover appeal of Napolitano, but doesn't lack charisma or knowledge. I'm not sure how well he would do.
  • Tom Campbell: Former Congressman from CA, whose mention as a possible Supreme Court pick by Gary Johnson reminded everybody that he was a bit libertarian-leaning. Certainly on the moderate side, and without party support, he seems more like a possible Weld VP pick than anything. He will be a little on the old side (late 60s).
  • Jeff Flake: Retiring Senator from AZ, he has indicated that he has not ruled out a run for the Presidency, but no indication yet of switching to the LP. He is very friendly with the libertarian Reason Foundation, but is definitely more moderate/conservative than the party as a whole. Nonetheless, he could be an attractive candidate as a bridge between Johnson 2016 and McMullin 2016 supporters, who could even offer putting Utah in play.
  • ((((((Mark Cuban)))))): Businessman, he apparently appreciated when LP activists attempted to recruit him into the 2016 race. As with many of the bigger names, he is not such a dedicated libertarian as party activists might like, but since he's been speculated in the past and hasn't ruled anything out, he's worth mentioning.

They're Fantasy Recruits
  • Justin Amash: He seems to be on every list of possible LP candidates, and there may be no better possibility than him. But I think he must have a future GOP run in mind instead.
  • Thomas Massie: Similar to Justin Amash, although I see him gunning for higher office in KY instead, eventually.
  • Rand Paul: I don't see him bolting to the LP in 2020 if he didn't in 2016.
  • Ron Paul: He has rejoined the LP, but I don't see any eagerness on his part to return to running for office. He is already in his 80s.
  • Jesse Ventura: Come on, Jesse never decides to run.

They're Not Running
  • Gary Johnson: He's done. He gave it his best shot, and look at how you all treated him.
  • John McAfee: Running for President and seeing all the infighting soured him to the LP and politics in general.
  • Austin Petersen: He has switched to the GOP to run for Senate in Missouri, and it would be switching back and forth too quickly to immediately bolt back to the LP.
  • Darryl W. Perry: He has indicated a willingness to step aside and endorse Kokesh.
  • Joe Walsh: The former Congressman once indicated that he'd like to run for the LP nod, but that was assuming that Clinton won in 2016. He loves Trump too much to run against him.

They're Also-Rans
  • Steve Kerbel: Businessman and party activist from Colorado, he gave it a shot in 2016 and was considered a good debater, but had to step out due to health concerns. Likely to be an also-ran again if he tries again.
  • Cecil Ince: One of the weakest candidates in 2016, he has filed to run again in 2020 already. He at least made it to a state party debate, although he didn't perform well.
  • Joe Exotic: Already announced as an LP candidate, lucky us!
  • There are 7 other candidates who I haven't heard of who have already filed with the FEC to run for President as Libertarians.

Links

Feel free to add sources or your own speculation.

I get bad vibes about Zoltan Istvan. He's definitely an interesting candidate for the LNC but beyond that, he'd probably have a humiliating performance on the national level. He's greatly educated and highly interesting on transhumanism, but besides that, he seems to miss the point a lot.

I think (((Adam Kokesh))) represents the Libertarian Party and Libertarian philosophy far greater. He could even pull a handful of voters away from Trump, honestly - given Kokesh's connections to the Tea Party/Alex Jones wing of the Trump Republicans.

The party has taken a bit of a left-lean since Trump has come into office, but I think Adam is the best candidate to really unite everyone and push a mainstream campaign against the State in 2020.
Not a Partisan Hack ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
Not a Partisan Thug
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 07:11:55 PM »

Only rabbis deserve Quintuple brackets my dude.[/list]
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 07:16:48 PM »

Kokesh is a pretty based goy.
sparkey

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 09:16:09 PM »

Who is an example of a populist libertarian? The Judge doesn't count?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 09:17:57 PM »

Who is an example of a populist libertarian? The Judge doesn't count?

Not when he's sold out to Fox News and Trump, lmao.
sparkey

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 09:34:33 PM »

An unexpected possible endorsement from a former major officeholder for Kokesh?: http://independentpoliticalreport.com/2018/02/former-six-term-democratic-congresswomen-and-green-party-presidential-nominee-cynthia-mckinney-now-identifies-as-an-anarchist/
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 10:18:40 PM »

I quite like Bill Weld. Though I doubt he’ll be running, he certainly ran a better, more practical campaign than Gary did.

I could see him endorsing the right Democrat. He more-or-less embraced the spoiler label in favor of Hillary in 2016.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 11:23:55 PM »

My comments:

I think Weld and Flake would have an extraordinarily difficult time getting enough delegates to be nominated for the presidency. I really think Weld only got the VP and last time because Gary wanted him.

Mark Cuban would be a hell of a recruit and would have a serious chance of getting the party to 15%. However, this would be 15% in name only and would risk turning the LP into a Mark Cuban-based party.

Justin Amash would also make a great recruit. He would never do it, though, as running against a sitting Republican president would cost him his seat in Congress. I've wondered whether he could hold his seat as a Libertarian under the right circumstances.

Overall, this race looks wide open so far with no Gary running.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 12:29:24 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2018, 12:32:53 AM by Parrotguy »

I doubt it. There are different sorts of anarchists, and left-wing anarchists (who usually support pacifict communities etc) are often very much in opposition to Libertarian anarchists (who just want to remove the government and make every interaction private, which includes militarized firms enforcing contracts). This stems largely from knowledge of some people who are one both of these extreme sides.
Also, thank you for this thread, it's very interesting- a shame some of the first comments are a total mess and in very bad taste.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 12:52:16 AM »

Bill Weld would obviously be the best candidate electorally, but he'd still only get 5% at best.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 01:05:33 AM »

Bill Weld would obviously be the best candidate electorally, but he'd still only get 5% at best.
Weld should run as a Indy he'd do better the label of a libertarian looks bad to many people who would consider voting for him
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »

Weld and Cuban have the best name recognition, but Cuban could probably preform better, as many have said. However, I think Cuban would be more likely to run Independent or Democrat instead, so Weld is certainly the favorite.
history nerd
Rauren Lyan
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 03:22:28 PM »

Cuban because of his celebrity and ability to self finance.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 05:37:42 PM »

Weld is the only one who I would ever consider voting for, and he's way too moderate to win the nomination.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 07:17:42 PM »

However, I think Cuban would be more likely to run Independent or Democrat instead, so Weld is certainly the favorite.

Cuban has said he's more likely to run as a Republican than a Democrat.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 08:46:50 PM »

Campbell.

Pity he didn't defeat Feinstein back in 2000.
kyc0705

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 08:00:41 AM »

What exactly is a "populist libertarian"?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »

I'm a DW Perry true believer, will be writing him in obv
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »

You shut your mouth, DWPerry is the 46th President of the United States.
sparkey

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 03:05:40 PM »

A video from Bill Weld's new "Freedom For America" makes it sound like he still has ambitions: https://vimeo.com/253477787

It interestingly emphasizes that "Many leaders wanted the VP candidate moved to the head of the Libertarian ticket" in 2016. At the end, it says, "Governor Bill Weld is a man to keep an eye on in 2018." 2018, eh?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies