Federal election debates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:58:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Federal election debates
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Federal election debates  (Read 808 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2018, 08:21:02 PM »

Federal election debate
January 10–17, 2016

Rules: Each candidate will give an opening statement and answers to three general questions, followed by a personal question regarding their performance as party leader. Candidates are allowed up to two rebuttals of other candidates. The debate will close with Turn Two of the federal election campaign at the end of the day on Thursday, after which I will announce the results of the debate and award a bonus of twenty-five Campaign Points to the winner.

General Questions:
(1) Last month, the national statistical agency announced the national unemployment had risen to 7.1%, having steadily increased over the course of 2015; the national GDP is down from $1.8 trillion in 2013 to just over $1.6 trillion in 2015. What measures would you introduce to put Canadian's back to work and increase economic productivity?
(2) Since the failure of the Charlottetown Accord in 1992, no prime minister has succeeded in passing significant changes to Canada's Constitution; yet many of you have said it is time for a fresh attempt. What reforms do you propose, if any, and how would you overcome the formidable obstacles that any attempt to revise the Constitution would face?
(3) After armed gunmen inspired by international terrorist movements shot and killed Canadian servicemen on Parliament Hill in Ottawa and in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, then Prime Minister Stephen Harper introduced legislation to expand the so-called war on terror. Do you support military action against terrorists in the Middle East, and what precautions would you take to protect Canadians from lone wolf terrorism here at home?

Personal Questions
For Justin Trudeau: Since calling this election last month, you have been frequently criticized for sending Canadians back to the polls mere months after the longest campaign in history and of putting party politics before the national interest. How do you answer those who say this election is no more than a brazen power grab by an ambitious politician?

For Andrew Scheer: In your party's platform, you say this election is a choice between change under you, or more of the same under Justin Trudeau; yet prior to October, Canada was led by a Conservative government for nearly a decade. How can your party claim to be a voice for change when it spent the last nine years holding the reigns of power?

For Nikki Ashton: At the end of tonight's debate, you will have led your party for barely over a week since taking over for Jagmeet Singh. Why should Canadian's trust you to lead the government when you have only recently begun to cement your position as party leader?

For Rhéal Fortin: Your party's platform calls for increasing federal spending in Quebec, and you have criticized Justin Trudeau for calling a snap election when those funds might have otherwise have gone to your province; yet the stated aim of your party is to achieve greater autonomy, even independence, for Quebec. Is it not a contradiction to take more money from Ottawa with one hand while cutting the bonds of confederation with the other?

For Elizabeth May: Your party is built on a promise to increase protections for the environment; but recently, other parties have made proposals to cut emissions and invest in renewable energy. Why should Canadians vote for you when they can vote for another party with similar policies and, statistically, a much better chance of being elected?
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 02:28:51 PM »

Rhéal Fortin Answering Questions at The First Debate

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!  Before I begin, I would like to thank the CBC for hosting this debate, all the fellow party leaders for being here, and especially you, the People, for tuning in to watch this debate, as you're the ones who really matter in this election, not us.  Now, let me begin.

In response to the First Question, Bloc Quebecois does have a plan to get Canada Working again and rebuild our Economy.  Our plan would involve investment in Green Energy Companies, aid to the ailing Timber Industry, and massive Infrastructure Investment, 15 Billion Dollars, in Canada to help rebuild Canada's Infrastructure and to help employ Canadians on a massive scale.  On the Infrastructure Spending, at least 3 Billion should be Invested in Quebec, which would be 20% of the spending, equal to Quebec's share of the population in Canada, which is about 20%, this way Quebec and her people will be receiving a truly fair share of Infrastructure Investment and Jobs, and we can help revitalize Montreal and the rest of our Great Province.  In addition to all of this, we propose lowering the Small Business Tax Rate from 10.5% to 9.5% in order to give a small boost to Canada and Quebec's Small Businesses, so they can have more of their hard earned money and help to employ their fellow Canadians and Quebecers.  Now how would all this be paid for?  By making the Rich and Corporations pay their fair share.  We propose increasing taxes on Major Corporations to 16.5%, on Oil Companies and Banks to 20%, and an increase of 1.5% on incomes greater than $150,000.  Through this Plan we will be able to help our fellow Canadians and Quebecers get back to work, make the Rich and Big Businesses pay their fair share, and help give Quebec her fair share of Spending as well.

Now, onto the Second Question, Constitutional Reform.  Bloc Quebecois has a very simple reform to offer, we want to put in the constitution that Elections can only occur every 4 years, as long as the elected Government does not fail, to make sure that Prime Ministers cannot call elections whenever they wish as blatant grabs for power, such as this one.  Now, why do we think this time it can work?  Because we believe that every Opposition Party supports such a move, after all the Conservatives, NDP, and Greens all oppose this election and believe it's just a power grab by Mr. Trudeau, why wouldn't they support a solution to it?  In addition to it most likely being supported by every opposition Party, I believe the Canadian people as a whole will recognize it is time to make sure power grabs cannot happen again.  I'm sure they do not wish for their own tax dollars to be wasted on calling elections whenever the PM wishes anymore, and that they do not want this partisanship to exist anymore.  That is why I'm confident our simple Reform, when brought to a vote in a National Referendum, will pass, and the Canadian people should be confident as well, as Bloc will fight for it throughout our next term of Government. We will fight for you the People, not ourselves. 

Next, onto my answer to the Third Question.  The War on Terror has been ongoing since the attacks during Stephen Harper's Prime Ministership, and I believe it has gone ok, but ok isn't good enough.  I will say that Bloc supports Aerial Military Action against Terrorist Groups in the Middle East, such as ISIL, but we do not support bringing Canadian Ground Troops into the Middle East, Ground Intervention is a terrible idea and would merely bog down and devolve into a slaughter of Canadian Lives, something we cannot allow.  At home, I believe we need to do two things, first, sufficient screening of any Refugees coming into the Country to make sure they aren't terrorists or coming to harm us, that way we can protect against possible attacks before they happen.  Second, making sure that Government Surveillance cannot be used to spy on the People of Canada and Quebec without reasonable suspicion that they may wish harm upon their fellow Canadians and Quebecers.  We must remember that our people have Civil Liberties, and do not deserve to have those taken away in order to fight against Terror, the People trust the Government, and the Government should trust the people back.   

Finally, onto the Personal Question.  I'll be glad to explain our position.  Our Party's goal is greater Autonomy yes, and Eventual Independence, but Independence is not the aim of this campaign.  Our Goal in this Campaign is for Quebec to be able to govern itself more, such as being able to collect our own taxes and saving the taxpayers of Quebec more of their hard earned Money, while making more of the tax dollars that go to Ottawa come back to Quebec.  We want it to come back in the form of Infrastructure Spending relative to Quebec's Population and Tax Income, and in the form of Naval Contracts granted to Quebec's Shipyards and Naval Yards, again relative to our population.  So my answer is no, our party is not contradicting ourselves in this Campaign, our goal is Greater Autonomy and Greater Equality for Quebec and her People.

I would like to thank the CBC again for holding this debate, thank all of the other leaders for showing up, and to thank the People for listening to our message, and I hope the people of Quebec will recognize it is the best message for them.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 06:50:54 PM »

Results of the 1st Leaders' Debate

With the leaders of the three major parties forgoing an appearance in the first debate, Rhéal Fortin had  a notably reduced audience for what was widely received as a strong performance by the leader of Bloc Québecois. Fortin's presence won him points for transparency and leadership in contrast to the absent Trudeau, helping him to appear a credible voice for the Quebecois interests in Ottawa. His strong answer on the economy was very well received, though his support for air strikes in the Middle East worried some of his liberal supporters. His answer to the personal question was also criticized by some as contradictory, though others faulted the moderator for tripping-up Fortin with an unfair question.

Viewer Poll

Did you approve or disapprove of Rheal Fortin's performance in tonight's leaders' debate?
Approve   86%
Disapprove   9%
Unsure   5%
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 10:57:20 PM »

2nd federal election debate
January 25–31, 2016

Rules: Each candidate will give an opening statement and answers to three general questions, followed by a personal question (which is the same for all candidates this turn) regarding their performance as party leader. Candidates are allowed up to two rebuttals of other candidates. The debate will close with Turn Two of the federal election campaign at the end of the day on Thursday, after which I will announce the results of the debate and award a bonus of twenty-five Campaign Points to the winner.

General Questions:
(1) Global temperatures have been rising steadily since the turn of the century: 2015 was the hottest year on record, a trend many scientists have attributed to the increase in carbon emissions over the past century. What do you propose to do to reduce emissions of greenhouse gasses and protect the environment generally?
(2) In the last month, you have all spoken with voters in ridings across the country to make the case for your party's vision for the future of Canada; yet however grand the vision or bold the reform, ultimately, nothing happens in Ottawa unless we pay for it. How would you propose to finance your program, and what changes would you make to the federal tax code?
(3) A 2015 survey of 78,000 people from around the world ranked Canada as the country most favorably thought of beyond its borders. How do you view Canada's relationship with the rest of the word, and what part should Canada play in international affairs?

Personal Question:
For all candidates: Government is a team sport, and yet inevitably much of the burden of leadership falls directly on the shoulders of the prime minister. Why are you the right person to lead Canada for the next four years, and what unique qualities do you bring to the table?
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 01:08:31 PM »

Rhéal Fortin Answering Questions at The Second Debate

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!  Before I begin I would like to thank the CBC for hosting this debate, and for you, the people of Quebec and Canada for tuning into this debate, hopefully this time some other leaders will show up!  Heh, alright, now I'll begin.

In response to the first Question, I believe I already stated part of Bloc's idea on helping the environment.  We support increasing investment in Green Energy Companies, while slowly beginning to phase out the Oil industry.  This way, we will be able to transition into a Green Economy and help reduce our emissions.  Bloc also supports tighter regulation on the Oil Industry in order to make sure we don't allow risky pipelines on our beaches and shores, as an oil spill could easily harm the wildlife.  Bloc supports a possible bill to reduce Greenhouse Gases as well, in order to protect our environment and stop pouring carbon emissions into our air in order to begin to combat the effects of Global Warming. 

Onto the second Question, our plan on taxes to pay for greater investment in the Timber and Green Energy Industries, as well as our infrastructure, and to help even the playing field for the average Canadian is as follows.  We support increasing taxes on Major Corporations to 16.5% from 15%, and increasing the tax rates on Big Banks and Oil Companies to 20% from 15%.  On Income Taxes, we support the following Rates, for incomes below $12,000, you will pay a rate of 0%.  For those with an income from $12,000 to $45,000, you will pay a rate of 14.5%.  For those with an income from $45,000 to $90,000, you will pay a rate of 21.5%.  For those with an income of $90,000 to $150,000, you will pay a rate of 27%.  Finally, for those with an income of $150,000 or greater, you will pay a rate of 30.5%.  Now all those numbers mean this, that the average Canadian  will pay less taxes overall, and that the Rich, Big Business, and Big Banks will pay more in taxes, evening out taxes and making the Rich pay their fair share in order to help boost the Canadian Economy and rebuild our infrastructure.

Now the Third Question.  I am happy that the rest of the world likes Canada, and I believe we should continue to be open to the World, however, we should not meddle in other Nations’ affairs.  I believe that Canada should continue to be friendly and open to the world, making fair trade deals with our friends and Allies, and helping our Allies and other nations when they are in need.  However, we should overall avoid meddling into the affairs of other Nations, avoiding Military Intervention except in cases where our Allies are attacked, but issuing sanctions and avoiding trade with Nations that violate Human Rights or harm their people.  Overall, I believe Canada should try to be a Friendly Ally who wishes to trade and be peaceful with our fellow Nations.

Now, the Final Question.  I believe that I should answer this question as why I am the best voice for the people of Quebec.  Now, why should I be that voice you may ask?  Because I promise that I and The Bloc Quebecois will fight for the betterment of all of Quebec's Citizens every single day we are in Ottawa.  I promise to fight for more Infrastructure Investment in Quebec's roads, bridges, Cities, and Airports.  I promise to fight for Quebec to collect it's own taxes and to have more Sovereignty in it's day to day actions.  And I promise to be open to compromise and work with the other parties in Ottawa, as long as it is in the interests of the people of Quebec.  I do believe that I am the best Voice for Quebec in Ottawa because I've actually shown up!  I've been here on this Debate Stage and at home in Quebec fighting for you, the People in this campaign, campaigning for your interests.  In the meantime, Prime Minister Trudeau has been ignoring Debates and airing TV ads in the hopes that you won't notice that nothing in his platform is dedicated to benefiting the people of Quebec, and that he's just trying to hide from you, The People.  Mr. Trudeau is afraid of you, my fellow Quebecers, and frankly he should be, because when February 8th comes, he will face an angry public that wants to be represented by someone who truly holds their interests at heart, not someone who just wants Power for himself.  I have one final promise to you all, that I and the Bloc Quebecois will always hold your interests at heart, and fight for them with every ounce of our being, for every second we are in Ottawa. 

I would like to thank the CBC again for holding this Debate, and to thank all of my fellow Quebecers for listening.  Merci et bonne nuit!
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 11:02:59 PM »

Ashton Answers Questions

I'm proud to be in attendance of the second debate – something that the Prime Minister may believe is too insignificant for his ambitions. I, however, welcome the opportunity to directly answer the questions that matter most to Canadians. These are the questions that are fundamental to our constituents, the policies that impact their lives, the answers that will determine the future of our nation.

The NDP has consistently pushed for a greener, more sustainable Canada; one only has to look at our platform to realize that our position invests back in Canada by promoting green tech such as wind and solar farms. Not only will these reduce our dependence on dirty energy, such as fossil fuels, but also create hundreds of good, stable, high-paying jobs. It's important that we don't merely place burdens on polluting industries – in order to best achieve success, we need to give encouragement for those industries to move toward a more environmentally friendly Canada. Second to the energy industry in pollution is transportation, which is why the NDP is proposing massive grants to researching hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and to build charging stations for electric cars. Additionally, the federal government under NDP leadership would provide a $1500 check to any family that desires to purchase an electric vehicle – no one should let money issues prevent them from helping the environment.

Lorsqu'on demande si le NPD pourrait payer pour nos programmes, nous se disons ce plan: pour augmenter le taux d'imposition pour ceux qui gagnent plus de 144k; c'est simplement juste. Spécifiquement, si on gagne plus de 205k, ses impôts augmentent de 33% a 38%; pour ceux qui gagnent entre 144k et 205k, le taux augmente de 29% a 32%. Pour les classes moyenne et ouvrière, leur impôts diminueront de cinq percent. C'encouragera les dépenses et augmentera la vitesse de notre moteur économique. De plus, nous proposent une petite augmente du taux des impôts sur les sociétés. La responsabilité fiscale n'est pas la plus importante but de gouvernement, mais si nous peuvent l'accomplir, pourquoi pas?

It's vital that Canada maintain its reputation as a team player on the global stage – cordiality with other countries has only helped us prosper, economically and culturally. It's important that Canada plays a role in improving cooperation and conversation between countries around the world; whether it's stopping conflict, mitigating natural disasters, signing trade deals, or ameliorating social conditions, Canada should be a global matchmaker, willing to help mediate countries so that they may come to an agreement. I think we can agree that a stable world is a safer world, and that a safer world is a better world. If we can help achieve global peace and prosperity, I say, we should take any opportunity that comes our way.

As anyone who has ever played team sports knows, each player needs to play to their strengths. For some people, leading others is their speciality, and I believe I am a member of that group. In my life, I've played many parts – but all of my roles have led me to bring people together to achieve a greater goal. I helped coordinate our Olympic team in Athens all the way back in 2004; in Parliament I worked with Conservative Rona Ambrose to better the status of women in Canada; as leader of the NDP, I took over a party desperately in need of service and, I hope, made them a strong choice in the minds of voters. In my life, I've worked to unite people towards a common goal. While those goals have frequently been different, this election the goal is simple: to work towards a better, more just, more sustainable, more prosperous Canada. After all, isn't that something we all want?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 12:49:18 AM »

Before I begin, I would like to thank everyone involved in the organization of this debate for helping make this possible. And now, onto the Questions:

Regarding the First Question, I am sure the Environmentalists in the audience will be pleased to hear that the Liberal Party has a comprehensive plan to combat Climate Change. As Prime Minister, I will fight to uphold the Climate Accord I negotiated in Paris last fall. I will work with the provinces to pass a nationwide price on Carbon to limit and reduce Canada's emissions. I will also create many numbers of Green Jobs by investing $100 million more each year in clean technology producers, so that they can tackle Canada’s most pressing environmental challenges, and create
more opportunities for Canadian workers. And last but not least, I will continue to Phase out Canada's subsidies for the fossil fuel industry as Prime Minister.

The answer to the second question is quite simple: Read the Liberal Platform. But, since not everyone watching this debate has the time to do that, I will lay out some, but not all, of the Liberal Party's platform to finance our programs for Canada. Firstly, our plan to invest in Canada will grow the Canadian Economy, resulting in more revenue for the Canadian Government. Secondly, we will close tax loopholes that are often abused, bringing in yet more revenue for the Government. And last but not least, we will legalize marijuana, bringing in Billions of Dollars in revenue for the Canadian Government.

In regards to your third question, I must say that this issue is a one very close to my heart, and during Stephen Harper's tenure as Prime Minister, I was extremely disappointed in his isolationist worldview. My view on Canada's relationship with the world is that Canada must always, regardless of the circumstances, be a strong voice in the international community in favor of Human rights and democracy. Furthermore, I believe Canada must stay involved in the United Nations, and thus stay involved in the international community, and not refuse to cooperate with the UN bodies as our nation often did under Stephen Harper. Finally, I believe that Canada's role in the world should be the same as the role we served for many years; as a peacekeeper.

Last but not least, I believe I am the strongest person to lead our nation because my party is the party with the best platform for Canada, and it only stands to reason that the party with the best platform shall make the best leaders.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 11:57:26 PM »

Scheer's Debate Responses

General Questions:
(1) Global temperatures have been rising steadily since the turn of the century: 2015 was the hottest year on record, a trend many scientists have attributed to the increase in carbon emissions over the past century. What do you propose to do to reduce emissions of greenhouse gasses and protect the environment generally?
You must be logged in to read this quote.

(2) In the last month, you have all spoken with voters in ridings across the country to make the case for your party's vision for the future of Canada; yet however grand the vision or bold the reform, ultimately, nothing happens in Ottawa unless we pay for it. How would you propose to finance your program, and what changes would you make to the federal tax code?

Translation:

(3) A 2015 survey of 78,000 people from around the world ranked Canada as the country most favorably thought of beyond its borders. How do you view Canada's relationship with the rest of the word, and what part should Canada play in international affairs?

Personal Question:
For all candidates: Government is a team sport, and yet inevitably much of the burden of leadership falls directly on the shoulders of the prime minister. Why are you the right person to lead Canada for the next four years, and what unique qualities do you bring to the table?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »

Results of the 2nd Leaders' Debate

Better attended and far more lively than its predecessor, the second leaders' debate drew large audiences across Canada and featured strong performances by each of the three main contenders for prime minister. Pundits generally judged NDP's Nikki Ashton to have "won" the debate, though that is not to overlook noteworth performances by Scheer and Trudeau, while Rheal Fortin was judged a weaker presence compared to his widely-praised performance at the first debate.

Nikki Ashton   The NDP Leader made an assertive and compelling argument for her party's program and her own readiness to be prime minister. Ashton's answers were thorough, detailed, and accessible, clearly differentiating her party from the opposition while highlighting her personal achievements, and her French answer will certainly not hurt her among Francophone Canadians.

Andrew Scheer   Scheer hit all the right notes in his responses, clearly outlining the Conservative platform and making the case for his party's return to power. His answers were poised and comprehensive, and his choice to portray himself as a bridge-builder may well prove decisive should the election result in a hung parliament. While his answer on finance was taken by some as a long-winded attempt to dodge the question (Scheer never specifying what changes, if any, he would propose to the tax code), overall his performance was taken as a net positive for the Conservative campaign.

Justin Trudeau   The prime minister answered the three general questions sufficiently, and his directness was praised by some as a welcome antidote to the verbosity of his opponents. Others took his reticence for apathy, and his response to the personal question generally failed to inspire confidence.

Rheal Fortin   Fortin's efforts to restore the Bloc as Quebec's voice in Ottawa were clearly evident in his debate performance, and his emphasis on leadership repeated a line of attack that has borne good fruit on the campaign trail. That said, his answers to the general questions left something to be desired; while sufficient, Fortin at times sounded like he was doing no more than reciting his platform, and he suffered from comparison to Ashton's eloquence.

Viewer Poll

Who won the second leaders' debate?
Ashton   41%
Scheer   29%
Trudeau   20%
Fortin   10%
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies