Fair redistricting: Texas
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:53:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Fair redistricting: Texas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Fair redistricting: Texas  (Read 15024 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »

First round - due to the large number of SC maps, each panelist was required to reject at least 5 of them. A map required at least two approving votes to pass. ASV-B, True Federalist-B, muon2-B, weatherboy-A and -B were eliminated. Here's the breakdown:

Sol
cvparty-A - N
cvparty-B - N
AustralianSwingVoter-A - Y
AustralianSwingVoter-B - N
Singletxguyforfun-A - Y
Singletxguyforfun-B - Y
MB - Y
weatherboy1102-A - N
weatherboy1102-B - N
True Federalist-A - Y
True Federalist-B - N
muon2-A - N
jimrtex-A - N
jimrtex-B - N
muon2-B - N

"I was a good bit harsher here, naying any map without a clear black-dominated district. This was my most important criterion. muon2-B was on the fence; with a BVAP 2 or 3 points higher I might have approved it."

me
cvparty-A - Y
cvparty-B - Y
AustralianSwingVoter-A - N
AustralianSwingVoter-B - Y
Singletxguyforfun-A - N
Singletxguyforfun-B - Y
MB - Y
weatherboy1102-A - N
weatherboy1102-B - Y
True Federalist-A - Y
True Federalist-B - N
muon2-A - Y
jimrtex-A - Y
jimrtex-B - Y
muon2-B - N

I believe I rejected the maps I did for splitting up metro areas weirdly, mainly Charleston. But feel free to ask about the rationale for my vote on a particular map.

Singletxguyforfun
cvparty-A N
cvparty-B Y
AustralianSwingVoter-A Y
AustralianSwingVoter-B N
Singletxguyforfun-A Y
Singletxguyforfun-B Y
MB N
weatherboy1102-A Y
weatherboy1102-B N
True Federalist-A Y
True Federalist-B N
muon2-A N
jimrtex-A N
jimrtex-B N
muon2-B N

no comment.

TimTurner
Y: cvparty-A
Y: cvparty-B
AustralianSwingVoter-A
AustralianSwingVoter-B
Y: Singletxguyforfun-A
Singletxguyforfun-B
Y: MB
weatherboy1102-A
weatherboy1102-B
Y: True Federalist-A
Y: True Federalist-B
Y: muon2-A*
Y: jimrtex-A
Y: jimrtex-B
Y: muon2-B

no comment.

I think these are the ten finalists.

cvparty A

cvparty B

AustralianSwingVoter A

Singletxguyforfun A

Singletxguyforfun B

MB

True Federalist A

muon2 A

jimrtex A

jimrtex B

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2018, 08:06:40 PM »

First round - due to the large number of SC maps, each panelist was required to reject at least 5 of them. A map required at least two approving votes to pass. ASV-B, True Federalist-B, muon2-B, weatherboy-A and -B were eliminated. Here's the breakdown:

I suggest that next time, that panelists be limited to approving no more than half (i.e. half of 15 is 7.5 is Cool and that you get a fifth panelist.

As it was, there were 31 approval votes (10, 10, 6, and 5), which appropriately distributed could have result in all 15 plans advancing. If all 4 panelist had approved 10, then you have the possibility of 40 approvals of 2.67 per plan.

Requiring 7 or 8 approvals would make the more discriminating panelists consider which of the other plans were the least worst; and the more generous panelists consider which of their approved plans were the least best.

With 5 panelists approving 8 plans, you would have 40 approvals or 2.67 per plan, but if a plan required 3 approvals it would cut down on the advancers.

Would it be possible to get a group of Democratic panelists and let them rank only one State at a  time?

Torie
Kevinsat
etc.?

If you only get three instead of four, then only do three states at a time.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2018, 08:24:49 PM »
« Edited: March 09, 2018, 10:29:50 AM by muon2 »

I'll try to get the SPICE scores for the finalists here:

Plan-S--P--I--C--E-
cvparty A11151538
cvparty B11151336
Aussie A31341242
Single A31351545
Single B31351335
MB211101239
True A31331639
muon2 A21111534
jimrtex A4105739
jimrtex B41012338

nb. The SPICE rules reward plans that when they chop as little as possible into a county. This proves to be very valuable in urban areas that have dense populations: the chop may look small in area, but has a large impact in population. A macrochop is a chop that includes more than 5% of a district's quota. When a county is macrochopped in SC I will treat the school districts in that county as the subunits, since there are no townships as there are in the northeastern US. When a macrochop occurs, the school districts in that county act is if they were the counties in terms of chops and erosity.

nb2. When a small chop goes into a county it is best to place it along the road that connects the county seats, or at least along a state or federal highway. The idea is that the fragments of a chopped county should be well connected to the other counties in the same district.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2018, 09:13:17 PM »

wait... according to your post, tim didn't vote on my two maps.  How does that work?
cvparty
United States

« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2018, 09:15:40 PM »

wait... according to your post, tim didn't vote on my two maps.  How does that work?
He did, he just put Y for the 10 (maximum) maps he could approve. The remaining 5 are presumably the NO votes
cvparty
United States

« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2018, 09:17:30 PM »

I suggest that next time, that panelists be limited to approving no more than half (i.e. half of 15 is 7.5 is Cool and that you get a fifth panelist.

As it was, there were 31 approval votes (10, 10, 6, and 5), which appropriately distributed could have result in all 15 plans advancing. If all 4 panelist had approved 10, then you have the possibility of 40 approvals of 2.67 per plan.

Requiring 7 or 8 approvals would make the more discriminating panelists consider which of the other plans were the least worst; and the more generous panelists consider which of their approved plans were the least best.

With 5 panelists approving 8 plans, you would have 40 approvals or 2.67 per plan, but if a plan required 3 approvals it would cut down on the advancers.

Would it be possible to get a group of Democratic panelists and let them rank only one State at a  time?

Torie
Kevinsat
etc.?

If you only get three instead of four, then only do three states at a time.
I was wary of rejecting too many maps and figured too much would be better than too little. But yes I'll probably try to narrow it down further next time. And I am trying to find a good fifth panelist
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2018, 10:18:29 PM »

georgia will be a mess if I remember their voting blocs in cobb county correctly.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2018, 07:33:45 AM »

Plan-S--P--I--C--E-
cvparty A
cvparty B
Aussie A
Single A
Single B
MB211101239
True A31331639
muon2 A21111534
jimrtex A
jimrtex B

nb. The SPICE rules reward plans that when they chop as little as possible into a county. This proves to be very valuable in urban areas that have dense populations: the chop may look small in area, but has a large impact in population. A macrochop is a chop that includes more than 5% of a district's quota. When a county is macrochopped in SC I will treat the school districts in that county as the subunits, since there are no townships as there are in the northeastern US. When a macrochop occurs, the school districts in that county act is if they were the counties in terms of chops and erosity.

Question: do these SPICE rules penalize my chop of Edisto Beach from Colleton County which I did because it only has a road connection to Charleston County?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2018, 07:49:07 AM »

I'm having trouble scoring the jimrtex plans here. They both seem to violate the 0.5% maximum deviation rule. I know earlier in the thread there were versions of his that did not, but I'm not sure what then is plan A and what is plan B.

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2018, 08:10:31 AM »

I'm also having trouble scoring cvparty A. It appears that the Beaufort county part of CD 1 is only contiguous to the rest of the district by water contiguity without a bridge or ferry. That violates one of the map requirements.

Criteria for maps
★ REQUIRED ★
1) All maps are to be made with DRA
2) PVI data must be provided, and you must have your drf file ready to verify
3) Districts must be contiguous (water contiguity is allowed, but the areas should be connected by something like a bridge or ferry)
4) Populations must be provided; maximum allowed deviation is 0.5%

You must be logged in to read this quote.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »

Plan-S--P--I--C--E-
cvparty A
cvparty B
Aussie A
Single A
Single B
MB211101239
True A31331639
muon2 A21111534
jimrtex A
jimrtex B

Question: do these SPICE rules penalize my chop of Edisto Beach from Colleton County which I did because it only has a road connection to Charleston County?

Whole contiguous counties are assumed to be self-connected even when they are not. The chop of Edisto beach does count as a county chop. Normally when a chop occurs there is a point of erosity for the connection between the two parts of the chop. However, since there is no road connecting across the chop boundary to Edisto there is no erosity there. So the answer is yes on the C score but no on the E score.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2018, 11:07:02 AM »

I'm also having trouble scoring cvparty A. It appears that the Beaufort county part of CD 1 is only contiguous to the rest of the district by water contiguity without a bridge or ferry. That violates one of the map requirements.
Well, the literal requirement is that they just be connected by water. I added that it should have something like a bridge or ferry to guard against some wacky gerrymandered districts that are technically contiguous by water. I thought I connected Beaufort and Charleston by US 17 hmm, I'll update my map and add those two voting districts in Beaufort tho
cvparty
United States

« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2018, 11:13:20 AM »

I'm having trouble scoring the jimrtex plans here. They both seem to violate the 0.5% maximum deviation rule. I know earlier in the thread there were versions of his that did not, but I'm not sure what then is plan A and what is plan B.
I believe his first two maps were his submissions
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »

I believe his first two maps were his submissions

I was responding to the plans he copied on the post that had all ten. With changes along the way and plans spread over many pages it is extremely helpful to have a list of links or maps in a single post for reference.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2018, 09:13:13 PM »

My Georgia plan:

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2018, 09:14:10 PM »

This variant of jimrtex A shifts 1 precinct in Darlington, 1 precinct in Lexington, and three precincts in Berkeley. I think it also shifts one precinct in Greenville. Standard deviation is 0.07%.

The variant of jimrtex B shifts the same five precincts, and one in Greenwood. It also has 0.07% standard deviation. I did not include a map.

The SCOTUS has said that there can be no de minimis deviation limit. Setting a 0.5% threshold is patently unconstitutional.

You can either accept the plan with the minimum number of county chops that provides a good faith attempt at practicable equality, or you are going to end up forcing to precise equality. In the latter case, you could use the number of persons victimized by county splits.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2018, 10:21:44 PM »

jimrtex raises a point that becomes even more important in GA. This exercise imposes a rule of a maximum deviation of 0.5% that may or not be what the court would impose, but it's a rule here. In some ways it's no different than saying that the VRA doesn't strictly apply. Panelists may consider it or not as they wish, even though the courts would absolutely require VRA compliance. In population SCOTUS often considers the range, not the maximum deviation (see Tennant v Jefferson county for a recent example).

In GA, Dekalb and Cobb counties are close to the quota for 1 CD. DeKalb county is no problem, but Cobb is 0.563% under the quota. A 0.5% maximum deviation guarantees a 1% range, but if no GA district exceeds 0.437% of the quota then a 1% range would still be maintained. A better rule might be a 1% range than a 0.5% maximum deviation. The alternative will be plans that tack one precinct onto Cobb just to bring its district up to quota.

The question for the panel is: Are plans that keep the population range within 1% acceptable, especially if they are used to avoid a chop?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2018, 10:25:18 PM »

I am inclined to say yes to that question.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2018, 11:55:59 PM »

jimrtex raises a point that becomes even more important in GA. This exercise imposes a rule of a maximum deviation of 0.5% that may or not be what the court would impose, but it's a rule here. In some ways it's no different than saying that the VRA doesn't strictly apply. Panelists may consider it or not as they wish, even though the courts would absolutely require VRA compliance. In population SCOTUS often considers the range, not the maximum deviation (see Tennant v Jefferson county for a recent example).

In GA, Dekalb and Cobb counties are close to the quota for 1 CD. DeKalb county is no problem, but Cobb is 0.563% under the quota. A 0.5% maximum deviation guarantees a 1% range, but if no GA district exceeds 0.437% of the quota then a 1% range would still be maintained. A better rule might be a 1% range than a 0.5% maximum deviation. The alternative will be plans that tack one precinct onto Cobb just to bring its district up to quota.

The question for the panel is: Are plans that keep the population range within 1% acceptable, especially if they are used to avoid a chop?

In that case use the simple jimrtex B which has a standard deviation of 0.37% and only splits Greenwood. For jimrtex A, use the version with Darlington, Lexington, and Dorchester splits, and a standard deviation of 0.07%.

If we are splitting counties, shouldn't we able to assume a perfect split, with the whole precinct version merely indicative?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2018, 07:47:14 AM »

In that case use the simple jimrtex B which has a standard deviation of 0.37% and only splits Greenwood. For jimrtex A, use the version with Darlington, Lexington, and Dorchester splits, and a standard deviation of 0.07%.

If we are splitting counties, shouldn't we able to assume a perfect split, with the whole precinct version merely indicative?

Since we don't have political data I wouldn't assume a perfect split, though I suspect that would rarely if ever have a material effect on the partisan measures. It would matter if the chop is a macrochop and the county subunits come into play. In that case I could assume that the chops follow the subunit boundaries.

For jimrtex B I am reading the chops in a Anderson and Greenwood such that they keep the range within 1%.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2018, 10:50:03 AM »

I've completed scoring for the 10 SC plans. I've lined out plans that would be eliminated in all SPICE scenarios. If just geography (C, E) are considered then muon2 A and jimrtex B are the only two plans that survive elimination and are highlighted in green (jimrtex B is using the 1% range rule in lieu of the 0.5% max deviation rule). Since population is used as a final tie breaker, it shouldn't be used to eliminate plans, so INEQUALITY should not be considered in an elimination round, and plans that only survive by double counting population are in red. cvparty B would survive only if the political scores (S, P) are also used since it provide less skew.

Plan-S--P--I--C--E-
cvparty A11151538
cvparty B11151336
Aussie A31341242
Single A31351545
Single B31351335
MB211101239
True A31331639
muon2 A21111534
jimrtex A4105739
jimrtex B41012338

nb2. When a small chop goes into a county it is best to place it along the road that connects the county seats, or at least along a state or federal highway. The idea is that the fragments of a chopped county should be well connected to the other counties in the same district.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2018, 11:03:33 AM »

Since we don't have political data I wouldn't assume a perfect split, though I suspect that would rarely if ever have a material effect on the partisan measures. It would matter if the chop is a macrochop and the county subunits come into play. In that case I could assume that the chops follow the subunit boundaries.

For jimrtex B I am reading the chops in a Anderson and Greenwood such that they keep the range within 1%.
Oops, yes I forgot about Anderson.

My final little tweaks of one precinct in Darlington, one in Lexington, three in Dorchester moved the PVI about 0.1%. The population total of the three was around 7,000 so they aren't Macrochops. I calculated that I would have to move about 2500 persons across the state to make the plan perfect, this would have required an additional county split, since I would need six.

The problem that I see it, is that in moving the typical (one standard) deviation district from a range of 0.9943 to 1.0057, to 0.9993 to 1.0007 it will be seen as being eight times as good, rather 1/2 of 1% better. If someone maintained their weight within 1/2% of some target, they likely have an eating disorder.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2018, 01:58:25 PM »

The problem that I see it, is that in moving the typical (one standard) deviation district from a range of 0.9943 to 1.0057, to 0.9993 to 1.0007 it will be seen as being eight times as good, rather 1/2 of 1% better. If someone maintained their weight within 1/2% of some target, they likely have an eating disorder.

Oh oh. My weight is actually very stable and usually sits within a pound of a slowly moving average. A pound is only slightly more than 0.5% of my weight. Should I see someone? Wink
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #123 on: March 09, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »

GA 1: R+16
GA 2: EVEN
GA 3: R+22
GA 4: D+25
GA 5: D+33