Fair redistricting: Texas (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:00:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Fair redistricting: Texas (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fair redistricting: Texas  (Read 15055 times)
catographer
Megameow
United States
« on: February 27, 2018, 10:31:50 PM »

Here's my map. I think it's the only one drawn that both preserves 4 VRA districts, and also has a 7R-6D split in PVI. (red for Democrat, blue for Republican)

catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 03:29:01 PM »

Here's my map. I think it's the only one drawn that both preserves 4 VRA districts, and also has a 7R-6D split in PVI. (red for Democrat, blue for Republican)

Drawing to a target is unconstitutional. NC-4 is particularly suspect.

What do you mean "a target?" You mean drawing to create maj-min districts intentionally? I don't think there's any other map on here that has at least 3.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »

Drawing to a target is unconstitutional. NC-4 is particularly suspect.
What do you mean "a target?" You mean drawing to create maj-min districts intentionally? I don't think there's any other map on here that has at least 3.

You can not assign persons to voting districts based on race.

It appears that you had a target (i.e. we need more black people in this district). You did not establish the three prongs of the Gingles test,  Your NC-4 is particularly problematic in the way you linked Durham and eastern Raleigh.

NC-9 you would have to show that minorities vote cohesively.

Also Republican members of the panel would likely vote against your map because of NC-7.

Isn't assigning people to a district based on race required to create VRA-mandated maj-min districts? Regardless, fair point. I think NC-4 failed Gingles, but otherwise the others come across as fair to me.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 09:13:13 PM »

My Georgia plan:

catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 08:39:44 PM »

I’ve always thought that rule was stupid. Like in McAllen, if am emtire CD can fit in one county, so be it, the fajita strips from the border to SA are ridiculous anyway
also the current map’s san antonio / austin mess smh

there's a tool to find unassigned precincts, in the upper right hand tab. it'll hover over it for you, but u need to zoom in to see very small ones.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies