Fair redistricting: Illinois (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:33:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Fair redistricting: Illinois (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fair redistricting: Illinois  (Read 11225 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: April 06, 2018, 08:21:51 AM »

Here's my plan A submission, originally posted in 2013. Counties matter in the rural parts of the state and munis matter in the Twin Cities metro. This plan chops no counties except in the metro and chops no munis within a metro county. It gives up a UCC pack point to put St Cloud in the same CD as Sherburne county with includes part of the St Cloud city limits though it is in a different UCC due to suburbs on the east side of the county.

CD 1: (-1015) R+5.0
CD 2: (+513) R+3.3
CD 3: (+126) D+0.1
CD 4: (-1169) D+12
CD 5: (+632) D+25
CD 6: (+944) R+7.6
CD 7: (+191) R+13
CD 8: (-225) R+3.5

I feel like putting Eden Prairie and St. Cloud in one district would cause rioting!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 10:18:34 AM »

Here's my plan A submission, originally posted in 2013. Counties matter in the rural parts of the state and munis matter in the Twin Cities metro. This plan chops no counties except in the metro and chops no munis within a metro county. It gives up a UCC pack point to put St Cloud in the same CD as Sherburne county with includes part of the St Cloud city limits though it is in a different UCC due to suburbs on the east side of the county.

CD 1: (-1015) R+5.0
CD 2: (+513) R+3.3
CD 3: (+126) D+0.1
CD 4: (-1169) D+12
CD 5: (+632) D+25
CD 6: (+944) R+7.6
CD 7: (+191) R+13
CD 8: (-225) R+3.5

I feel like putting Eden Prairie and St. Cloud in one district would cause rioting!

That was why I came up with a plan B back then. Smiley

Yes, your Plan B is much more acceptable Smiley  To reiterate Muon's point, counties do matter quite a bit in Minnesota, including around the Cities.  Although I know the objective metrics rightly can't force it, folks around the Cities would breathe a lot easier if (1) Hennepin only had two districts (Minneapolis vs. suburbs + random other suburban county bits) and (2) Ramsay was kept whole... although AustralianSwingVoter's Map 1 split isn't a bad split if you must go three ways (save for the random Savage jaunt in District 2).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 04:17:34 PM »

That was why I came up with a plan B back then. Smiley

Yes, your Plan B is much more acceptable Smiley  To reiterate Muon's point, counties do matter quite a bit in Minnesota, including around the Cities.  Although I know the objective metrics rightly can't force it, folks around the Cities would breathe a lot easier if (1) Hennepin only had two districts (Minneapolis vs. suburbs + random other suburban county bits) and (2) Ramsay was kept whole... although AustralianSwingVoter's Map 1 split isn't a bad split if you must go three ways (save for the random Savage jaunt in District 2).

It's interesting to note that when Ramsey stays together it packs the Dems and makes the remaining suburban seats more Pub. It shows that the county can be more important than partisan fairness. The Hennepin-Ramsey rivalry reflected the suburban counterpart of the Minneapolis-St Paul rivalry, which is a real thing, not to mention the library and park services provided by the counties to areas outside of Mpls and St Paul proper (at least when I was living there).

That's true.  But, in an alternate universe, Pubs could also try to pack Minneapolis and St. Paul into one district, which would be absolute anathema to most everyone (although it would also push the new MN-03 to the left, and possibly whatever Ramsay-based district depending which direction it extended in).  Local preferences giveth and taketh away! Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies