Christians, do you believe in the Trinity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:05:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christians, do you believe in the Trinity?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: See above
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Christians, do you believe in the Trinity?  (Read 1938 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2018, 02:58:54 PM »

Are you trinitarian or non-trinitarian?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »

Yes
History505
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 06:02:51 PM »

As a Catholic, yes.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 11:38:51 PM »

Yes (Ultra-Reformed Christian)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 11:39:46 PM »

Yes
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 01:20:56 AM »

I'm agnostic on the issue. Keep in mind that classical Christian Unitarians don't deny the existence of Christ and the Holy Spirit, but don't necessarily see all three as being equally eternal aspects of one God.  I don't see any significant theological implications in whether God was always three-in-one.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 05:05:08 AM »

This issue has always put me out of step with mainstream Christianity. I believe in one, unitarian God (God the Father as trinitarians would say). I believe Jesus is the Messiah but I don't believe he is God, and I don't believe that the Holy Spirit is a separate being from God the Father, I believe it to be just one of his means of action (moyens d'action). I was actually shocked when I learnt 2 years ago or so that the Trinity meant that Jesus and the Holy Spirit were considered God (and frankly I found the idea kind of polytheistic, even though I know it's not supposed to be).

There are some other points taught by the Church I don't believe in either, for exemple Heaven and Hell. I believe that the Dead rest in Sheol until the Day of the Last Judgement and there everyone will be brought back to life to be judged by God.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 05:07:01 AM »

I'm agnostic on the issue. Keep in mind that classical Christian Unitarians don't deny the existence of Christ and the Holy Spirit, but don't necessarily see all three as being equally eternal aspects of one God.  I don't see any significant theological implications in whether God was always three-in-one.

The problem is if the Trinity isn't correct, then worshipping Jesus and the Holy Spirit would basically be idolatry.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:19:13 AM »

The problem is if the Trinity isn't correct, then worshipping Jesus and the Holy Spirit would basically be idolatry.

Classical Unitarianism didn't deny they were part of God, just that they weren't always so. That said, I'm a UU because I'm a Universalist, not a Unitarian.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 04:54:50 PM »

Yes
Georg Ebner
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 07:11:25 PM »

GOMEZ DAVILA: "Rejecting the divinity of Jesus makes Christianity the sum of all mistakes"
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 09:40:15 PM »

Yes (normal hipster Christian)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 02:02:41 AM »

No (Mormon)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 02:40:51 AM »

Yes.

I'm a universalist (who's pro-science, pro-evolution, pro-gay, pro-women, anti-priesthood, believes following Jesus means his moral teachings, believes there's at least some truth in all major religions, doesn't believe in a special people/race/ethnicity/family/lineage, etc.).

But I'm also a Trinitarian, who believes Jesus is the Incarnation of the Son, died on the Cross and was Resurrected, that Atonement/Salvation was made possible because of Jesus and his life/suffering/death/resurrection, and believes in the ultimate goodness of life/reality/individuals.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 02:46:55 AM »

Yes.

I'm a universalist (who's pro-science, pro-evolution, pro-gay, pro-women, anti-priesthood, believes following Jesus means his moral teachings, believes there's at least some truth in all major religions, doesn't believe in a special people/race/ethnicity/family/lineage, etc.).

But I'm also a Trinitarian, who believes Jesus is the Incarnation of the Son, died on the Cross and was Resurrected, that Atonement/Salvation was made possible because of Jesus and his life/suffering/death/resurrection, and believes in the ultimate goodness of life/reality/individuals.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 06:43:07 PM »

Yes.

Trinitarian. As a Catholic, that is what I was always taught. I don't understand it (and I don't think anyone does); I see it as a mystery. I fully understand and respect that one can be a Christian and reject trinitarianism (as, say, Unitarians do).

An odd thought occurred to me this week. In some ways, it seems that the American left academic and political establishment (which shares reasonable common ground with Unitarianism: since 1805 Unitarians have had significant representation at Harvard; Unitarians have produced 4 Presidents, all out of proportion to their numbers; Unitarian thinkers such as Horace Mann have long supported public schools) has been more accepting of the recent wave of Muslim immigration in the US than its ancestors were of Catholic (Irish, Polish, Italian, etc.) immigrants a century and a quarter ago. I wonder if that is because, despite its Christian origins, Unitarianism is closer theologically to Islam than to traditional (apostolic, trinitarian) Christianity?

As an example I cite the 1873 Thomas Nast cartoon, which portrayed the Catholic education system as a crocodile or alligator preying on innocent American schoolchildren. Even today, Nast is considered one of the most influential cartoonists in the US.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »

YES (UCC, former SBC)
Khunanup
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -8.26

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 05:00:08 PM »

Yes (orthodox Methodist, well see below...)

I also have somewhat of an affection for the Monophysite view which is clearly trinitarian but was controversial enough (though in hindsight it's utterly minor to all but a handful of people) to split the early Church.

It should be noted that I'm an Egyptology graduate who did their special subject on Egyptian Christian monasticism...
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 08:18:57 PM »

GOMEZ DAVILA: "Rejecting the divinity of Jesus makes Christianity the sum of all mistakes"

What does that mean?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 10:53:39 PM »

I am quasi-trinitarian in that I do not assign agency to the holy spirit.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »

What does that mean?
The bourgeoisie ("enlightenment" aso.) has since the MiddleAges tried to abandon Trinity in order to reduce religion to autonomous (sexual/social)ethics.
But no homo religiosus has ever been interested in "changing this world" - JESUS wasn't a small "humanistic" agitator killed by the elite because of fighting for "world-peace" or "social justice" or "environmental protection".
Christianity's only message is, that GOD is Love: The relationship between FATHER and SON and HOLY SPIRIT. Our only salvation being to be absorbed by the divine oikonomia.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 01:54:25 PM »

Absolutely (Pentacostal)

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 10:00:11 AM »

Yes, as foretold in the Don McLean song.  I usually don't get roiled up in details like this, but don't get me started on consubstantiation vs transubstantiation.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 12:59:43 PM »

Any of the prophets can be GOD, Moses or Jehovah Girah (Jesus). We are all Children of GOD. Jehovah gave the prophets of Moses or Jesus the power to prove that there's a power greater than self.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 03:07:07 AM »

Who invented the holy-trinity?

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies