Do Democrats really think they have 2020 in the bag with guns?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:49:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Do Democrats really think they have 2020 in the bag with guns?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do Democrats really think they have 2020 in the bag with guns?  (Read 801 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2018, 10:24:29 PM »

Does the Democratic Party really think they can win the Heartland (Middle America) (OH, PA, WI) with their views on the Second Amendment?

I personally believe that the Democrats are hostile to the Second Amendment and they still don't know how to connect with responsible gun owners.

Do Democrats think they can win Middle America with some of their views on guns?
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 10:52:29 PM »

Apparently, Trump wants to ban bump stocks, so hell - he might be both parties' nominee in 2020.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:12:48 PM »

Easily. The country is moving left on the issue.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 11:15:13 PM »

Do they support the right of responsible gun owners to have a gun, or not?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 11:38:53 PM »

I stopped in a pawn shop today wherein the bulk of the business is guns.

I should have moved to Canada when I had a chance -- or had made a chance.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 12:09:42 AM »

Yes. And anyone who believes otherwise is an idiot quite frankly.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 02:13:40 AM »

Does the Democratic Party really think they can win the Heartland (Middle America) (OH, PA, WI) with their views on the Second Amendment?

I personally believe that the Democrats are hostile to the Second Amendment and they still don't know how to connect with responsible gun owners.

Do Democrats think they can win Middle America with some of their views on guns?
Without Parkland, I bet guns would have still been a losing situation...
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 02:20:16 AM »

People often falsely assume OH/MI/PA have high gun ownership rates, when in fact they do not. It won't hurt Dems there (especially since gun nuts weren't voting for them in the first place), and could help in FL and NV.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 02:26:45 AM »

People often falsely assume OH/MI/PA have high gun ownership rates, when in fact they do not. It won't hurt Dems there (especially since gun nuts weren't voting for them in the first place), and could help in FL and NV.
Yeah, but it could be the difference between the gun nuts staying home or being more motivated to go and defeat the offending Dems.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 02:36:24 AM »

What? Reid had a B voting record from the NRA, and CCM doesn't seem to have radically different views on the issue, and legalizing weed ran 9 points ahead of a background check ballot initiative in 2016.

That aside, I'm not a fan of nationalizing the gun issue (or for that matter abortion), at least in the way they've tended to frame it. It's not so much the gun control policy itself, but the way the argument is presented; when you hear some millionaire politician from DC making insincere arguments about banning a form of a right obtained in the 2nd amendment is not exactly inspiring.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 11:26:37 AM »

What? Reid had a B voting record from the NRA, and CCM doesn't seem to have radically different views on the issue, and legalizing weed ran 9 points ahead of a background check ballot initiative in 2016.
Have you forgotten the recent Vegas shooting?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 11:36:05 AM »

Yes. And anyone who believes otherwise is an idiot quite frankly.

As with any group as broad as the Democratic Party or even just "the left," there is a large variety of view points.  It's pretty undeniable, even from just reading this site, that there is a significant portion of left-leaning Democrats that don't care to keep the Second Amendment around at all.  Not a majority, but White nationalists aren't a majority of "the right," either; they're still going to inevitably discredit some of the right's ideas on things like immigration.

Yes, most Democrats in Congress will only push for some more reasonable regulations like waiting periods and closing gun show loopholes, and hopefully some Republicans get on board ... but let's not act like there aren't some pretty Constitutionally extreme viewpoints among the left on the issue.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 11:47:08 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2018, 11:51:25 AM by YE »

Given that I know friends that lost friends that were killed, and someone that I sorta knew died, and a neighbor of mine was severely wounded from that horrific shooting, no. 

I'm not sure how that'll change politics in the long run. Did AZ or CO move towards gun control after the Giffords/Aurora mass shooting? Regardless, NV ancestrally is a pro-gun state.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »

As I stated elsewhere, the majority of the American general public actually supports increased gun control.

The main issue is whether or not gun control will be a "hot button" issue in the general election. If it is, then the Democrats can emphasize it to their advantage; if not, they can emphasize other more important issues, but they don't have to shift to the center/right on this issue.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 12:44:24 PM »

I think they do, I just think they have to talk about it in a way that emphasizes safety while not talking down to responsible gun owners.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 08:52:11 PM »

I think after last week guns is no longer a peripheral issue for Democrats (the 2nd Amendment always been at the core of the Republican platform). In 2018 it will be strong (especially in Florida), though healthcare still looks to be the key issue here. In 2020 if the problem is solved by then it probably will be irrelevant.

Focus on popular issues, like background checks, and not on things that are more divisive, like the assault weapons ban.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 09:03:45 PM »

Focus on popular issues, like background checks, and not on things that are more divisive, like the assault weapons ban.
This. Also a waiting period prior to receiving any gun is pretty popular.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 09:05:56 PM »

Nearly 70% of Americans support an assault ban... what is Atlas's fetish for assault weapons?
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 09:09:54 PM »

Nearly 70% of Americans support an assault ban... what is Atlas's fetish for assault weapons?
Assault is broad
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 11:40:03 PM »

Almost every high schooler today will be able to vote in 2020.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 04:07:00 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2018, 04:10:20 PM by Skill and Chance »

Guns are currently a losing issue for the left.  Whether that is changing or will eventually change has nothing to do with OH, PA, or WI, but hinges entirely on whether the largest Southern and Western cities start shifting toward generic big city views on gun control going forward.  If significant gun control happens, it will be because it eventually gets NYC/L.A./Chicago level support in Atlanta/Dallas/Houston/Phoenix.  Rural areas won't shift on this issue.
Joey1996

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 11:45:49 PM »

Given that I know friends that lost friends that were killed, and someone that I sorta knew died, and a neighbor of mine was severely wounded from that horrific shooting, no. 

I'm not sure how that'll change politics in the long run. Did AZ or CO move towards gun control after the Giffords/Aurora mass shooting? Regardless, NV ancestrally is a pro-gun state.

And given the fact that many if the victims of that shooting are pro-gun themselves.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 04:16:28 PM »

The gun referendum lost in Maine in the 2016 election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies