Do you make a distinction between the alt-right and "alt-lite"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:03:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you make a distinction between the alt-right and "alt-lite"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do you make a distinction between the alt-right and "alt-lite"  (Read 868 times)
Joey1996

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »

I've noticed this new term "alt-lite" used to describe extreme reactionaries who go toe to toe with everything alt-right except for the blatant anti-semitism. This would include people like Steve Bannon, Mike Cernovich, Alex Jones, Gavin McInnes, Paul Joseph Watson and Milo Yiannopoulos. Do you make a distinction between those sh*tbags and the likes of Richard Spencer and David Duke?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »

I recognize the difference, but I see them as no better. They all feed the same creature.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 02:47:34 PM »

Yes, there's a huge difference between believing in conspiracies and making memes and supporting the alt-right.  The alt-right wants to muddy the waters so they seem more legitimate.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »

I recognize the difference, but I see them as no better. They all feed the same creature.
Pretty much, yeah.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 03:02:05 PM »

Yeah, of course. I don't pay attention to them, but there's a difference between the politics of, say, Milo and Paul Joseph Watson vs. calling for a white ethnostate.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 03:20:02 PM »

Alt-Lite
Beliefs: Loathe diversity, feminism, and Political Correctness; love Trump, hate liberals
People: Alex Jones, Paul Joseph Watson, Milo Yiannopoulos, Mike Cernovich, Jack Posobiec, Stefan Molyneux, Lauren Southern, A.F. Branco, Ben Garrison, Mark Dice, Ezra Levant, Dana Loesch, Tucker Carlson, Tomi Lahren, Michael Savage.
Sites: Breitbart, Infowars, Gateway Pundit, Truthfeed, The_Donald, Rebel Media, WND
Notable Event: Deploraball

Alt-Right:
Beliefs: Anti-Semitism, calls for white ethnostates, praises Nazis
People: Richard Spencer, David Duke, Vox Day, Mike Enoch, Baked Alaska, Jared Taylor, Andrew Anglin, Chris Cantwell, Lana Lokteff, Augustus Invictus, Paul Nehlen, Jason Kessler, James Alex Fields, Nikolas Cruz.
Sites: Daily Stormer, Stormfront, American Renaissance, VDare, Occidental Dissent, Right Stuff, Smoloko
Notable Event: Unite the Right
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 03:36:04 PM »

Alt-Lite
Beliefs: Loathe diversity, feminism, and Political Correctness; love Trump, hate liberals
People: Alex Jones, Paul Joseph Watson, Milo Yiannopoulos, Mike Cernovich, Jack Posobiec, Stefan Molyneux, Lauren Southern, A.F. Branco, Ben Garrison, Mark Dice, Ezra Levant, Dana Loesch, Tucker Carlson, Tomi Lahren, Michael Savage.
Sites: Breitbart, Infowars, Gateway Pundit, Truthfeed, The_Donald, Rebel Media, WND

Alt-Right:
People: Richard Spencer, David Duke, Vox Day, Mike Enoch, Baked Alaska, Jared Taylor, Andrew Anglin, Chris Cantwell, Lana Lokteff, Augustus Invictus, Paul Nehlen, Jason Kessler, James Alex Fields, Nikolas Cruz.
Sites: Daily Stormer, Stormfront, American Renaissance, VDare, Occidental Dissent, Right Stuff, Smoloko

basically this
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 03:40:59 PM »

Alt-Lite

Alt-Right:

Christ with those names the alt-lite is even worse.
Joey1996

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 04:26:57 PM »

There's barely a distinction between the alt-right and the boilerplate American Right at this point, so no, I most certainly do not waste time trying to decipher which of the losers spam 4chan et. al. with swastikas and the more SERIOUS types that love to self-label as "classically liberal" for whatever reason.

Correct answer
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 04:29:24 PM »

The alt right has a worse philosophy, but the alt lite tend to be worse people (mostly because they are charlatans like Trump).
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 04:33:44 PM »

No. "alt-lite" is just a pathetically transparent veil for alt righters who want to appear respectable.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 04:34:16 PM »

Distinction without a difference.
Joey1996

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »

Really the only distinction is the anti-semitism... both groups are xenophobic, racist, Islamophobic, and misogynistic. Both support Trump.

Alt-lite replaces anti-semitism with right wing Zionism.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 05:33:00 PM »

There are self-identified alt-righters who are not anti-Semites. Jared Taylor is a well-known example. The main difference between the alt-right and the alt-lite is that the alt-right openly espouses some form of ethno-nationalism or white identity politics, while the alt-lite tries to hide their ethno-nationalist instincts behind a vague façade of libertarianism or civic nationalism. Some in the alt-lite are not even self-aware enough to recognize their own quasi-white nationalist instincts, but they are definitely there.

In short, the difference is self-awareness.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 05:36:10 PM »

Shows how disinterested I am becoming in politics lately, but I have never heard or seen anyone refer to the "Alt-Lite" besides Sanchez on this site.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »

Two cheeks of the same arse.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 06:02:57 PM »

Not really. White nationalists/supremacists are white nationalists/supremacists, not "alt-right."

Alt-Right means an alternative Right politics to the mainstream Right politics that existed before Trump (small government conservatism, neocon foreign policy, religious fundamentalist) associated with the pre-Trump GOP; so anything that is an alternative to that, which participated in the surge of the Right-wing politics in the 2014-now, is Alt Right.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 06:08:35 PM »

As stated above, the level of antisemitism is the only difference.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 06:43:33 PM »

Not really. both groups are awful.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 07:00:10 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2018, 08:47:09 PM by AtorBoltox »

Shows how disinterested I am becoming in politics lately, but I have never heard or seen anyone refer to the "Alt-Lite" besides Sanchez on this site.
Interesting that you’re only becoming ‘disinterested’ at a time when your party’s is ing everything up
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 09:45:34 PM »

Interesting that you’re only becoming ‘disinterested’ at a time when your party’s is ing everything up
That is white privilege.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 01:01:43 AM »

I make a distinction between people with different beliefs, yes.  But "alt-lite" is a silly term. I just recognize that "alt-right" is broad and vague.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 04:54:10 PM »

Depressing to see how rude everyone is to each other, simple as that.  Completely writing off good and kind people who they might even otherwise be friends with as subhuman garbage because their politics differ.  All I can really control at the end of the day is how I treat the people in my life and what I do to care for them or help them when I can.  Draw whatever conclusions you have to about me.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 05:18:54 PM »

No.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 11:21:35 AM »

Not really interesting; it’s a very easy way for Republicans to disassociate. That’s what I did.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies