Gillibrand on Late Show with Stephen Colbert
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:31:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Gillibrand on Late Show with Stephen Colbert
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gillibrand on Late Show with Stephen Colbert  (Read 874 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2018, 12:52:50 PM »

Gillibrand was on Colbert last night.  Here’s the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWOxjo65if0

She mentions that she’s giving up swearing for Lent.  We’ll see how that works out….
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »

Watched it. I still can't see the appeal. Unlike women like Hillary Clinton or Kamala Harris, she doesn't project strength. A LOT of voters intuitively gravitate towards candidates that they instictively feel can take charge and keep them safe. To me, Gillibrand does not project that. She has a chance in a democratic primary where softer values are important, but she is a tough sell in a general election.

Oh yeah, and the fact that she went from an A-rating to a F-rating from the NRA pretty much sums up Gillibrands career.
JG

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 03:04:21 PM »

I like how she doesn't shy away from her so-called flip flops and actually admits she was wrong when it comes to guns controls and how she changed her mind. I think she does a better job than most politicians do when explaining their change of heart or change of mind.

As for the projected strength, I actually think she projects a quiet confidence that can be reassuring to a lot of people. It can also be an advantage with older men who tend to feel threatened or uncomfortable by outwardly confident and strong women.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 03:20:44 PM »

It can also be an advantage with older men who tend to feel threatened or uncomfortable by outwardly confident and strong women.

Yeah, I think I've mentioned before how there might be a generational thing going on.  Going all the way back to Elizabeth Dole's 2000 presidential campaign, she worked hard to appear as tough as possible, because she thought that she needed to do that in order to combat negative gender stereotypes.  I think Hillary Clinton was similar in that regard.

For Gillibrand's generation of female politicians though, there seems to be more recognition that women face a double bind: Appearing too tough can also inflame negative gender stereotypes in the other direction, so she's got to pull off a balancing act.  Whether she gets it right or not in that regard is something that I guess we'll find out in the next two years.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 03:24:40 PM »

Interesting looking at the comments on the video most are about her treatment of Franken, I think it will have a lasting impact in 2020.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 03:25:50 PM »

>Yeah! I flip-flop on topics at will, going from an A rating to an F rating from the NRA! I love just going with whatever is popular with the populace!

>cheers

This is how you lose 2020.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 04:19:22 PM »

Interesting looking at the comments on the video most are about her treatment of Franken, I think it will have a lasting impact in 2020.
People won't even remember how to spell Franken in two years.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 04:25:16 PM »

>Yeah! I flip-flop on topics at will, going from an A rating to an F rating from the NRA! I love just going with whatever is popular with the populace!

>cheers

This is how you lose 2020.

Didn't affect Trump with the whole Pro-choice/life thing now did it.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 04:37:41 PM »

She sure is doing all the right things since refusing to take PAC money.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 04:59:19 PM »

I like how she doesn't shy away from her so-called flip flops and actually admits she was wrong when it comes to guns controls and how she changed her mind. I think she does a better job than most politicians do when explaining their change of heart or change of mind.

As for the projected strength, I actually think she projects a quiet confidence that can be reassuring to a lot of people. It can also be an advantage with older men who tend to feel threatened or uncomfortable by outwardly confident and strong women.

Agreed. Besides, almost any Democrat can beat Trump- if Democrats shy away from nominating a woman because she doesn't appear "tough enough" or because "muh flip flops" despite most male politicians flip flopping more than the entire U.S. gymnastics Olympic team, then they aren't that much better than Republicans.

Also, LOL at "her treatment of Franken". Poor, poor sexual molester got treated badly by the mean woman Sad
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 08:22:37 PM »

Also, LOL at "her treatment of Franken". Poor, poor sexual molester got treated badly by the mean woman Sad
It made me like her more. Me! I wanted to marry Al Franken.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 08:39:48 PM »

I think her flip-flopping on guns when you continue that her constituency changed too. She went from representing people with a strong culture in Upstate New York, to also representing inner city Americans roiling from gun and gang violence in NYC. She talks about a girl that died from a stray bullet in NYC that shifted her perception of gun control, because that's when it became crushingly apparent that not everybody uses guns for sport and safely.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 02:03:59 AM »

Strength can be projected in ways that are not necessarily stereotypical masculine.

For instance, with Hillary Clinton, I felt very comfortable knowing that she would not flinch in the face of pressure. That she would keep her head cool, analyze the situation and make an informed call. Yet, at the same time, it was apparent that Hillary was a very empathic person, which is typically thought of as a feminine quality.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 02:37:08 AM »

I see Colbert is already working on the 2024/28 field. (Gillibrand's been pretty clear on a number of occasions that she's not running in 2020)
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 02:38:45 AM »

Strength can be projected in ways that are not necessarily stereotypical masculine.

For instance, with Hillary Clinton, I felt very comfortable knowing that she would not flinch in the face of pressure. That she would keep her head cool, analyze the situation and make an informed call. Yet, at the same time, it was apparent that Hillary was a very empathic person, which is typically thought of as a feminine quality.
I do agree with you I think she will have to work on how she projects strength as “commander in chief” something that Clinton had but perhaps didn’t connected as well on the emotional end.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 06:31:10 AM »

I see Colbert is already working on the 2024/28 field. (Gillibrand's been pretty clear on a number of occasions that she's not running in 2020)
Oh, she's running in 2020. You can bet the house on it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 02:22:06 PM »

Not really.  You posted her recent statement on this in the Tea Leaves thread, but as I pointed out there:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=273224.msg6063601#msg6063601

her denial wasn't really Shermanesque.  If she starts giving more forceful denials, and sticks to them for months, then we'll talk.
sverkol

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 04:05:53 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2018, 05:31:59 PM by sverkol »

Agreed. Besides, almost any Democrat can beat Trump- if Democrats shy away from nominating a woman because she doesn't appear "tough enough" or because "muh flip flops" despite most male politicians flip flopping more than the entire U.S. gymnastics Olympic team, then they aren't that much better than Republicans.

Mans who flip loping losses too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbdzMLk9wHQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oThH-MNCsYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esUTn6L0UDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p9erRunYLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbTyEPZBUQY
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies