Trump: Guns for teachers will end school shootings (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:58:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: Guns for teachers will end school shootings (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump: Guns for teachers will end school shootings  (Read 2559 times)
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« on: February 22, 2018, 07:32:15 AM »

Third-grader pulls trigger on Maplewood cop’s gun, firing a shot

That was with a trained police officer. Thankfully no one was hurt.

Forcing teachers to have yet another job piled on their shoulders, where they may have to use deadly force, is disgusting and wrong.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 11:53:20 PM »

He's doubled down because no one else has a more sensible idea that will actually, and immediately, make schools safer for children that are forced to go to them.

A lot of folks here are for gun control because they don't like guns, and they don't like the NRA because it's a GOP interest group.  They really don't care about the safety of schoolchildren because they're now out of high school, but they don't have kids to think about yet.  It's mere politics for them now.  For some of us, however, this issue involves thinking of the safety of lives we are specifically responsible for.  We're playing for keeps, not just to win an argument that will help our favorite candidate win.

Don't you even dare.

I care about school children. I care about one of my closest friends, who is a school teacher. I care about half a dozen of my other friends, who are also school teachers.

But I also care about the teachers I don't know, the students I will never meet, all of them. No child deserves to die, especially not one merely going through their daily routine.

I am for gun control because I truly believe it is the best way to keep children and those who care for them safe. I have nothing against guns themselves. I grew up in a house with a shotgun and rifle, both used for hunting. I do have something against people who believe their right to own any kind of gun they want without licensing trumps the safety of children. I do have something against people who want to continually increase the number of guns in the world. I do have something against people who think they should be allowed to pack heat wherever they want. I do have something against people who are so terrified of the world that they're okay seeing children die time after time if it's the sacrifice that has to be made so they can continue to hold on to their cold metal security blanket.

Don't ever assume that only those who agree with you care about others. In addition to being wrong, it's just disgusting. The reason I believe as strongly as I do is because I believe it the best option, just as you feel about your beliefs.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »

He's doubled down because no one else has a more sensible idea that will actually, and immediately, make schools safer for children that are forced to go to them.

A lot of folks here are for gun control because they don't like guns, and they don't like the NRA because it's a GOP interest group.  They really don't care about the safety of schoolchildren because they're now out of high school, but they don't have kids to think about yet.  It's mere politics for them now.  For some of us, however, this issue involves thinking of the safety of lives we are specifically responsible for.  We're playing for keeps, not just to win an argument that will help our favorite candidate win.

Don't you even dare.

I care about school children. I care about one of my closest friends, who is a school teacher. I care about half a dozen of my other friends, who are also school teachers.

But I also care about the teachers I don't know, the students I will never meet, all of them. No child deserves to die, especially not one merely going through their daily routine.

I am for gun control because I truly believe it is the best way to keep children and those who care for them safe. I have nothing against guns themselves. I grew up in a house with a shotgun and rifle, both used for hunting. I do have something against people who believe their right to own any kind of gun they want without licensing trumps the safety of children. I do have something against people who want to continually increase the number of guns in the world. I do have something against people who think they should be allowed to pack heat wherever they want. I do have something against people who are so terrified of the world that they're okay seeing children die time after time if it's the sacrifice that has to be made so they can continue to hold on to their cold metal security blanket.

Don't ever assume that only those who agree with you care about others. In addition to being wrong, it's just disgusting. The reason I believe as strongly as I do is because I believe it the best option, just as you feel about your beliefs.

I've already dared to question folks sincerity on this issue.  And I'll double down on what I posted earlier.  I can imagine you pounding the keys, posting your response, taking my screen name in vain, all because you could not provide an experience-based response to the issue, and because your political motives were called out.  

"Don't you even dare!"  I must confess that such a response, right there, is the giveaway of shallow motivation; the overly dramatic reply.  I'm sure you've figured out that this crisis bolsters support for your point of view on the subject, which will, I'm sure, please you no end.  Liberals are not unlike Conservatives in their willingness to exploit a crisis or tragedy for political gain; they just don't want to be caught at it.

When I was young, single, and knew it all, I was a politically active Democrat, and, believe me, I understand the purely political view of life.  I KNOW folks root for bad things to happen so THEIR SIDE can win.  Republicans cheered when the prime rate hit 20% during the Carter years, while Democrats cheered "Reaganvilles" during the recession of 1981-82.  I don't see you write how you have a child, however, and while that doesn't invalidate your point of view, I have, in addition to a 12 year old son, four (4) granddaughters currently attending public schools, so I'm personally vested in this issue.  You're an anti-gun crusader.  That's fine and good, but, quite frankly, I believe that your contempt for me far, far exceeds any compassion you may feel for schoolchildren.  That's fine, too; a number of people who have actively wished me ill post here.

And, no, you are NOT playing for keeps.  Kids in schools, yes.  Folks with kids and grandkids in schools, yes.  You, no.  It's academic and political for you.  That doesn't make you an HP, but I'm OK with bringing somewhat shallow motivations to light when it seems fit.

You may have been a shallow person who didn't care about others, but you are not me. I do care.

I also have no interest in interacting with someone who claims to know my motivations better than I do. Goodbye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies