Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 18, 2019, 02:17:02 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  About this Site
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  AtlasMod v1.0 - Announcement / Details
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: AtlasMod v1.0 - Announcement / Details  (Read 11269 times)
VirginiŠ
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2018, 02:59:39 pm »

A ton of old threads that I had already read are suddenly being marked as unreal at random for no reason, especially in boards rarely posted in.

Dave cleared the database table that keeps track of what threads you have read. This is standard practice as that table gets massive to the point where it slows the forum down. So it has to be cleared from time to time. In other words, it's not a bug.

#KavanaughForPrison
Solid4096
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P
View Profile WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2018, 03:12:06 pm »

A ton of old threads that I had already read are suddenly being marked as unreal at random for no reason, especially in boards rarely posted in.

Dave cleared the database table that keeps track of what threads you have read. This is standard practice as that table gets massive to the point where it slows the forum down. So it has to be cleared from time to time. In other words, it's not a bug.

Did everything get cleared, or just stuff that was like say, more than 30 days old or something?

No Toss Ups

2020 President Prediction:

Electoral College:
(Likely D/374-164)

National Popular Vote:
(Safe D/D+12)

shua
YaBB God
Nepal

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2018, 12:38:37 am »

why is Sanchez's huge sig not truncated like the others?   did you do something clever, Sanchez?  or is this a random glitch?

I'm still trying to work out the kinks in that feature. It was surprisingly hard to do because sometimes the images in people's signatures don't load until after the script has assessed the height. It happens to Kalwejt's too.

shua / anyone else: On second thought, how big is too big, in your opinion?

Kalwejt and Sanchez's signatures are just under the height threshold where the script truncates them. This was my "stab in the dark" default max height, and I figured it might need to be adjusted.

Maybe restrict the height by 20% more or so? I'm trying to find a sweet spot that respects Atlas's culture of large signatures but restricts ones that are a bit too tall. So for instance I can say going so far as 50% of Sanchez's signature's height would be too far.

For myself I don't see much point of a setting that restricts very large signatures but "respects Atlas's  culture of large signatures" since if people want that culture they can leave that setting off.  I'd sort of like a setting that just retains the quotes and small campaign banner type images (like maybe two-thirds the size of the pic in your sig, max).  I've been viewing the forum with sigs off for a long time but was giving this setting a try since you installed it.

Another setting or feature that would be really useful is to be able to a "preview" sigs when you change them in the profile settings, and maybe some code shortcut buttons. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:47:20 am by shua »Logged

"Darkness makes a great canvas" - unidentified man

JEC4P
jk2020
YaBB God

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2018, 01:02:39 am »

Another setting or feature that would be really useful is to be able to a "preview" sigs when you change them in the profile settings, and maybe some code shortcut buttons. 

This.

Also, is there a way to make bbcode not count towards the signature character limit?

DavidB.
YaBB God
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 5.13

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2018, 07:30:54 am »

The forum has become slower for me when I post stuff. Am I the only one?
Does it happen all the time, or only when you quote another user's post?
Not all the time, but it doesn't depend on quoting people either. It's as if my post isn't being posted. Then I open Atlas in another tab and I see that it's been posted, but in the first Atlas tab it's still loading.

Tomorrow will be a better day
Tomorrow the sun will rise and the moon will set
And we'll arrive to a new world
DTC
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.50

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2018, 03:27:10 pm »

The ignore function was working for a while but now I am getting the option to open LimoLibel's posts again. Please fix
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2018, 03:40:07 pm »

Not all the time, but it doesn't depend on quoting people either. It's as if my post isn't being posted. Then I open Atlas in another tab and I see that it's been posted, but in the first Atlas tab it's still loading.

This happened to me as well for the first day or so after the update, but hasn't happened to me since.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

What is your opinion of this thread?

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
VirginiŠ
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2018, 03:57:53 pm »

The ignore function was working for a while but now I am getting the option to open LimoLibel's posts again. Please fix

Just wondering - when you see his posts, are the newly-visible posts always at the very top of the page, like the first post? If so I'm aware of this and I fixed it, and I'll send it into Dave soon.

DTC
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.50

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2018, 03:59:36 pm »

Just wondering - when you see his posts, are the newly-visible posts always at the very top of the page, like the first post? If so I'm aware of this and I fixed it, and I'll send it into Dave soon.

Yep. That's it. Thanks Smiley
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2018, 05:44:28 pm »

I just noticed that we have an elephant emoji  Elephant but no donkey one [#e:donkey].  The same is true for Unicode emojis.  I can see why Unicode hasn't bothered to add a donkey emoji to the horse emoji, but we don't even have a horse emoji either.

Quote from: Ignatius of Antioch
He that possesses the word of Jesus, is truly able to bear his very silence. ó Epistle to the Ephesians 3:21a
The one thing everyone can agree on is that the media is biased against them.
#KavanaughForPrison
Solid4096
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2018, 05:46:30 pm »

Wolf

No Toss Ups

2020 President Prediction:

Electoral College:
(Likely D/374-164)

National Popular Vote:
(Safe D/D+12)

shua
YaBB God
Nepal

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2018, 06:13:25 pm »

I just noticed that we have an elephant emoji  Elephant but no donkey one [#e:donkey].  The same is true for Unicode emojis.  I can see why Unicode hasn't bothered to add a donkey emoji to the horse emoji, but we don't even have a horse emoji either.

how about a rooster?  🐓
Rooster
Unicode: U+1F413, UTF-8: F0 9F 90 93

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2018, 08:09:19 pm »

I just noticed that we have an elephant emoji  Elephant but no donkey one [#e:donkey].  The same is true for Unicode emojis.  I can see why Unicode hasn't bothered to add a donkey emoji to the horse emoji, but we don't even have a horse emoji either.

how about a rooster?  🐓
Rooster
Unicode: U+1F413, UTF-8: F0 9F 90 93

Serviceable, albeit not nearly as well known as a Democratic symbol as the donkey.

Quote from: Ignatius of Antioch
He that possesses the word of Jesus, is truly able to bear his very silence. ó Epistle to the Ephesians 3:21a
The one thing everyone can agree on is that the media is biased against them.
VirginiŠ
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2018, 11:54:32 am »

FYI among some other fixes, the emoji bar above posts now needs to be turned on manually via the mod settings in your profile (Click Profile -> Atlas - Forum Settings), check off "Show quick use emojis bar above Post/PM text control"

other fixes included:

[tweet] bbcode is now longer so sensitive (so this fixes shua's issue). Just put the url in there, and if you accidentally include a space or line drop by accident, it'll be ignored

Ignored users, when the "ignore more fully" option is enabled, are more properly hidden (sometimes their post would show if it was the very first on a page).

Hide tall signatures function is now less buggy. Some people's signatures that weren't too tall were getting chopped off with no ability to resize, and others that should have weren't getting truncated. Hopefully this fixes those problems.

I improved the quote alert system so there are less SQL queries issued when you make the post that quotes someone. Hopefully that makes a difference and speeds posting up a little.

The flash button (and bbcode) on the Post page is now disabled. It wasn't really functional and I doubt anyone used it anyway, but it's not an issue now. Kudos TF for pointing it out.

And some other things I can't think of right now.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:08:01 pm by Virginia »Logged

shua
YaBB God
Nepal

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2018, 02:26:43 pm »

Can I just say, I'm a big fan of the comma in the post count.

AverroŽs
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -1.80, S: -0.10

P P

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2018, 03:21:27 pm »

Thank you, Virginia. It is refreshing to see some real improvements to this forum.

It is possible to appreciate the visual qualities of a place with one short visit, but not how it smells on a frosty morning, how city sounds reverberate across narrow streets to expire over the broad square, or how the pavement burns through gymshoe soles and melts bicycle tires in August. Place, at all scales from the armchair to the nation, is a construct of experience; it is sustained not only by timber, concrete, and highways, but also by the quality of human awareness.
DavidB.
YaBB God
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 5.13

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2018, 03:27:17 pm »

This happened to me as well for the first day or so after the update, but hasn't happened to me since.
Same. Works fine now. Thanks Virginia!

Tomorrow will be a better day
Tomorrow the sun will rise and the moon will set
And we'll arrive to a new world
muon2
Modadmin
YaBB God

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2018, 10:31:38 pm »

Unfortunately I am not. Perhaps I've seen enough use of the period as a delimiter to find the comma less useful unless the number is over a million. My real preference for big numbers is metric prefixes or scientific notation. Smiley

Don't troll and drive!
Ἅιδης
Hades
YaBB God

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2018, 11:24:54 pm »

Unfortunately I am not. Perhaps I've seen enough use of the period as a delimiter to find the comma less useful unless the number is over a million. My real preference for big numbers is metric prefixes or scientific notation. Smiley

The fact that you Anglo-Saxons use the comma as a delimiter is extremely annoying. I haven't gotten used to it yet, and never will.  Grumpy
Maybe we ought to switch to the duodecimal system in order to avoid delimiters.
You have written 7A59 comments, BRTD has posted 3B454 comments. Way more lucid.  Kiki

VirginiŠ
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2018, 11:40:18 pm »

I'm still curious about this. It doesn't do it on my test forum. I think Dave just wanted it this way. I'd have thought it's a bug of sorts but it appears with commas on the profile page too, which wouldn't make sense if it was a bug.

Jbrase
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2018, 08:08:18 pm »

The new feature to hide obnoxiously large signatures seems to be a tad inconsistent. For example, Antonio's sig which is relatively small is partially hidden with the option to view more. Meanwhile Texarkana's sig, among others with large pictures in theirs, is still fully visible.

VirginiŠ
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2018, 08:14:03 pm »

The new feature to hide obnoxiously large signatures seems to be a tad inconsistent. For example, Antonio's sig which is relatively small is partially hidden with the option to view more. Meanwhile Texarkana's sig, among others with large pictures in theirs, is still fully visible.

I checked Antonio's signature earlier as I was curious about this. It turns out that he actually embedded an image in the signature, but the link is inactive for some reason, so no image displays. If you pay close attention, when the page loads, his signature space goes from really tall to really small, as the invalid image is hidden by the browser. The problem is, the script I use to collapse signatures detects the large height before the browser collapses it. It would be very tricky to fix this. The better option would be for Antonio to just fix his sig image Tongue

The current max height for signatures is 480 px. It's likely Tex's is just under that if it is still visible (I'm not sure if it is or isn't). I have to set some sort of max height, so if a sig is 479 px tall, it'll show, but 481 wouldn't.

Lt. Gov. wxtransit
wxtransit
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

P P
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2018, 03:30:52 pm »

For some reason, I've noticed that when I try to preview a post with less than 14,000 characters left, the preview function does not work. I'm not sure if this is a problem with Atlas or my computer, but this is odd.

Moderate socon economic centrist (E: -0.26, S: 2.43)
ďAll that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.Ē - Disputed
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." - Leonard Bernstein
pseudo-fascist right-winger wxtransit

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2018, 12:11:19 pm »

A Dingo in name only
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2018, 12:12:24 pm »

When I tried to preview before posting, it showed nothing too.

A Dingo in name only
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout