Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 20, 2019, 04:22:18 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  About this Site
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  AtlasMod v1.0 - Announcement / Details (search mode)
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: AtlasMod v1.0 - Announcement / Details  (Read 11330 times)
Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« on: February 22, 2018, 02:29:17 pm »

AtlasMod v1.0
---------------------------------------------------------------

1. Alert system - user alerted when someone makes a post that quotes them

Note:

• This option is not enabled by default for existing users.
  • Quoted user is only alerted if they are a "top level quote," meaning, if the post directly quotes them and not indirectly, like where a quote has multiple quotes within itself. This prevents useless alerts that aren't really relevant to the user in question.

Preview: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/13620_22_02_18_2_24_08.png

2. New settings page in profile. This basically controls some of the features I have added, and adds some new ones.

• Receive alerts when users quote you in a post
  • Hide alerts from ignored users
  • Confirm when closing new thread post window if post text is partially written
  • Hide posts by ignored users more thoroughly
  • Truncate very large signatures
  • Hide user signatures when viewing personal messages
  • Make profile visible to registered forum members only
  • Make profile pictures visible to registered forum members only

Preview: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/13620_22_02_18_2_25_10.png

4. [ tweet ] bbcode added. Users can embed tweets in their posts[/size]
This new bbcode can do 2 things. First, it can display just the tweet in question and nothing else, and second, the user can add "media=1" to display any pictures or other content that was embedded in the tweet. This allows users to customize just how much of the tweet they want to show. I added a button on the post page - the Twitter bird icon[/size]

Preview: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/13620_22_02_18_2_24_27.png

5. View all posts a user made in a specific thread in one click
The idea behind this is relatively straightforward - You click a little search/magnifying glass icon-button next to a user's post in a thread (where the profile stuff is), and it will bring up the same thread in a new window, except the only posts you see will be the selected user's posts. This is a quick and easy way to see everything a user has posted in a specific thread.

Preview: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/13620_22_02_18_2_24_41.png

6. Custom color button on new post page
I added this because it was incredibly easy, especially given the way SMF structured their new post page. It allows a user to select a [color] tag that is not bound to the limited list of colors presented in the dropdown list. This allows a user to select any color from the full RGB range using a custom color picker window. Note that this option only works in Firefox and Chrome, and in IE the color button won't be visible. It should also be noted that this functionality already exists, in that you can do [color=#htmlcode], but this modification gives the user an expanded color picker window for easy use.

Preview: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/13620_22_02_18_2_25_23.png

7. Hide really big signatures option
Big signatures are partially hidden. The maximum size of a signature before it gets hidden is not set in stone, and hopefully within a week we can come to an agreement on how big the limit should be. Once you click the Show button, it reveals the whole thing. Note that the size of the visible part of the signature is not the hardcoded limit I set, it's just the amount that will be shown once a signature is determined to be too big. Also, this option will not be set by default for either existing or new users. People will have to turn it on manually.

Preview: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/13620_22_02_18_2_24_56.png

8. Other features

• New emojis bar added above post/PM box
  • Remaining characters allowed count shown in new post/pm box
  • Maximum post character count increased to 22,000 characters (double the original limit)
  • Edit grace period before post says "edited by" is doubled from 90 seconds to 180 seconds
  • Password recovery option is restricted to harden against account hijacking attempts
  • New users will be limited in the number of times they can post per hour in order to protect against spam
  • Substantial changes to Moderator tools

Important note
---------------------------------------------------------------

The overall feature list may seem kind of slim, but that is because I started this project early last year with no knowledge if it would be implemented or not, and my initial focus was just on fixing a few problems with the Moderator tools. However I kept adding new things, and so this is where it ended. Dave said he was open to a 2nd version with even more features, so I plan on soliciting ideas from everyone on what to add.

Please keep in mind that there might still be some bugs that need to be worked out, so if you experience any issues that haven't occurred before, please report it in this thread and/or to me personally.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 02:40:15 pm »

I'm still getting random, sporadic database errors...

When do they happen (exactly)? Can you describe the error?

Edit: Actually I think I know what it is. Working on it now.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:43:25 pm by Virginia »Logged

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:25:22 pm »

Pro-tip: the [tweet] bbcode can be used to show pictures/etc attached to a tweet. In order to do that, add "media=1" (without quotes) to the tweet tag, so like: [tweet media=1]

Please remove the emotes in the post window, and the commas in post counts. They are bothering me for some reason.

I might add a profile option to disable the emoji bar. I could have sworn I did that already, but I think it removed it thinking no one would use it.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 09:59:27 pm »

You forgot the most important improvement:
The number someone's posts is now separated by a comma now!!!

I don't even remember adding that tbh. I wonder if Dave did that.

Confused

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 01:18:44 pm »

I've noticed that when I drag the color selector around to choose a color in the new custom color option, I get something like this instead of the final color I want. It selects every color I drag over. (quote the post to see what I mean)

Oh wow, I'm not sure. That color selector window isn't actually something I made. It's a built-in feature of the browser. On my computer, using Firefox and Chrome, it only selects the color that is picked when I click the "OK" button and close out of the dialog window. What browser are you using?

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 02:33:15 pm »

Thanks wx. I will look into it further. I don't use a Mac, so I never noticed this before.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 10:10:34 pm »

While doing one of my omnibus elections posts I noticed a major issue. The Character(s) left counter goes to 22,000, the officially announced character limit, however I get the "The message exceeds the maximum allowed length" error (which also states that the limit is 22,000 characters) on posts longer than 21,000 characters.

To summarise, although the character limit is supposed to be 22,000, the forum won't let you post more than 21,000 characters. This probably needs to be solved.

I think it has something to do with the way BBCode is processed. It's not a problem unique to this new addon, as for this particular change, all that happened was the post count in the forum administrative settings was changed from 11k to 22k. So whatever the true limit is now, no other changes are planned.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 01:42:56 am »

why is Sanchez's huge sig not truncated like the others?   did you do something clever, Sanchez?  or is this a random glitch?

I'm still trying to work out the kinks in that feature. It was surprisingly hard to do because sometimes the images in people's signatures don't load until after the script has assessed the height. It happens to Kalwejt's too.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 02:28:22 am »

why is Sanchez's huge sig not truncated like the others?   did you do something clever, Sanchez?  or is this a random glitch?

I'm still trying to work out the kinks in that feature. It was surprisingly hard to do because sometimes the images in people's signatures don't load until after the script has assessed the height. It happens to Kalwejt's too.

shua / anyone else: On second thought, how big is too big, in your opinion?

Kalwejt and Sanchez's signatures are just under the height threshold where the script truncates them. This was my "stab in the dark" default max height, and I figured it might need to be adjusted.

Maybe restrict the height by 20% more or so? I'm trying to find a sweet spot that respects Atlas's culture of large signatures but restricts ones that are a bit too tall. So for instance I can say going so far as 50% of Sanchez's signature's height would be too far.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 01:25:22 pm »

Now the new ignore feature doesn't seem to be working. I'm seeing King Fear and LimoLibel posts again (although I still have to click show to actually see them).

Did you actually check off "Hide posts by ignored users more thoroughly" on the Atlas - Forum Options page? All it does is hide those posts entirely. You can still see quotes of ignored user's posts, which is something I'd like to address in the future, but it requires a lot more changes to do.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 01:35:16 pm »

okies I'll check it out. I knew there would be bugs but that feature was pretty simple and I wasn't expecting it to be an issue.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 01:54:15 pm »

The forum has become slower for me when I post stuff. Am I the only one?

Does it happen all the time, or only when you quote another user's post?

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 02:59:39 pm »

A ton of old threads that I had already read are suddenly being marked as unreal at random for no reason, especially in boards rarely posted in.

Dave cleared the database table that keeps track of what threads you have read. This is standard practice as that table gets massive to the point where it slows the forum down. So it has to be cleared from time to time. In other words, it's not a bug.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 03:57:53 pm »

The ignore function was working for a while but now I am getting the option to open LimoLibel's posts again. Please fix

Just wondering - when you see his posts, are the newly-visible posts always at the very top of the page, like the first post? If so I'm aware of this and I fixed it, and I'll send it into Dave soon.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 11:54:32 am »

FYI among some other fixes, the emoji bar above posts now needs to be turned on manually via the mod settings in your profile (Click Profile -> Atlas - Forum Settings), check off "Show quick use emojis bar above Post/PM text control"

other fixes included:

[tweet] bbcode is now longer so sensitive (so this fixes shua's issue). Just put the url in there, and if you accidentally include a space or line drop by accident, it'll be ignored

Ignored users, when the "ignore more fully" option is enabled, are more properly hidden (sometimes their post would show if it was the very first on a page).

Hide tall signatures function is now less buggy. Some people's signatures that weren't too tall were getting chopped off with no ability to resize, and others that should have weren't getting truncated. Hopefully this fixes those problems.

I improved the quote alert system so there are less SQL queries issued when you make the post that quotes someone. Hopefully that makes a difference and speeds posting up a little.

The flash button (and bbcode) on the Post page is now disabled. It wasn't really functional and I doubt anyone used it anyway, but it's not an issue now. Kudos TF for pointing it out.

And some other things I can't think of right now.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:08:01 pm by Virginia »Logged

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 11:40:18 pm »

I'm still curious about this. It doesn't do it on my test forum. I think Dave just wanted it this way. I'd have thought it's a bug of sorts but it appears with commas on the profile page too, which wouldn't make sense if it was a bug.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 08:14:03 pm »

The new feature to hide obnoxiously large signatures seems to be a tad inconsistent. For example, Antonio's sig which is relatively small is partially hidden with the option to view more. Meanwhile Texarkana's sig, among others with large pictures in theirs, is still fully visible.

I checked Antonio's signature earlier as I was curious about this. It turns out that he actually embedded an image in the signature, but the link is inactive for some reason, so no image displays. If you pay close attention, when the page loads, his signature space goes from really tall to really small, as the invalid image is hidden by the browser. The problem is, the script I use to collapse signatures detects the large height before the browser collapses it. It would be very tricky to fix this. The better option would be for Antonio to just fix his sig image Tongue

The current max height for signatures is 480 px. It's likely Tex's is just under that if it is still visible (I'm not sure if it is or isn't). I have to set some sort of max height, so if a sig is 479 px tall, it'll show, but 481 wouldn't.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 09:48:16 pm »

When I tried to preview before posting, it showed nothing too.

I noticed that a day or two after Dave installed the update. I'm not sure why it does it. The actual twitter code / etc is in the page, it just doesn't show up. I got backlogged shortly after with other more critical bugs, so I never was able to mitigate the issue in time. Perhaps for the next update I will put a placeholder where the tweet would be.

Virginiá
Virginia C
Modadmin
YaBB God
Ukraine

P P
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 11:55:12 pm »

I don't know if it's related to the updates, but despite having no messages in my inbox it constantly tells me I have 5.

Does it actually say messages or unread alert(s)? If it is alerts, that is not the same thing.

If it does actually say messages and won't reset, that is strange, and not something I think caused by my update.

Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout