ATTN Senate: We have a problem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:03:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  ATTN Senate: We have a problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ATTN Senate: We have a problem  (Read 385 times)
Anna Komnene
Siren

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2018, 01:55:46 PM »

Hey guys, so we have a bit of an awkward situation. Actually it's a really awkward situation. I noticed TheShadowyAbyss swore in last week, and I thought he had just sworn in early. I talked with Mr. Reactionary about it and turns out, he actually swore in at the right time because the Southern constitution has their Senators swear in earlier than Senators from Fremont or Lincoln, who will be swearing in next Friday. Since Spiral was PPT and I was his Deputy (I'm also Dean of the Senate), that could mean that I should have started being PPT in Spiral's stead last Friday as his Deputy. However, the Senate rules only say that happens in the event of inactivity or a LOA. Spiral's term ending early is a bit of a different thing altogether. That could mean that as Dean of the Senate, I need to hold an election to select a new PPT for the next week until the new sessions starts, when the next Senate's dean would hold another election for the PPT. Just so everyone knows, the next Senate's dean will be Haslam - so he will be in charge of the PPT election next week.

Since we're short on time and we have a few bills that I know are important to Senators like cinyc and Haslam, it might be best if I just take over as PPT so we can get those things moving instead of having to worry about holding a PPT election. But since the rules are unclear, I don't want to just act on it by myself. I want to get people's thoughts on it. What do you think? Tongue

Here are some of the rules I'm talking about:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 03:09:55 PM »

We really should have standarized dates for taking office, it is absurd that these differences take place.

If I may, Siren (as I'm not a Senator yet) I would recommend the Senate to use of Article 10 Section 1, or failing that, Section 2 of the Senate Rules:

With your consent and that of other three Senators (and in the best interests of the Senate and the nation), which seems easier and faster to obtain than holding a formal election, a given part of the rules could be suspended to enable this temporary rise to PPT for a few days.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 03:41:45 PM »

I am willing to support Senator Siren serving as PPT temporarily in order to prevent legislation from grinding to a halt for a week.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 08:56:41 PM »

Does anyone object to suspending the rules to elevate me to PPT for the next week?

Hopefully this issue will be worked out in the future!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 12:56:59 AM »

I am willing to suspend the rules as well. Consider this an Aye vote for Siren, too.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 10:30:18 AM »

If no one objects within 24 hrs, then you have unanimous consent.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 09:00:59 PM »

With no objections, the rules are suspended to appoint me President Pro Tempore.

I'm going to sift through our bills on the floor and see what needs to be done. In the meantime, I appoint Senator cinyc to be my Deputy PPT.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 01:26:00 AM »

With no objections, the rules are suspended to appoint me President Pro Tempore.

I'm going to sift through our bills on the floor and see what needs to be done. In the meantime, I appoint Senator cinyc to be my Deputy PPT.

Thanks - though I’m still not totally up to speed on Senate procedure, and will be out of the Senate next Friday. Hopefully, I won’t have to do much.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 12:38:54 PM »

I am glad this was finally addressed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies