Why Is Delaware Blue?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:33:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why Is Delaware Blue?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why Is Delaware Blue?  (Read 1660 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2018, 05:37:27 PM »

It's always confused me. It has the makings of just a Lean D state that would flip with about the same amount of pressure as maybe Minnesota, or maybe even a swing state, but it's solidly blue. Why? What could the GOP do to win it?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:38:46 PM »

It's always confused me. It has the makings of just a Lean D state that would flip with about the same amount of pressure as maybe Minnesota, or maybe even a swing state, but it's solidly blue. Why? What could the GOP do to win it?

The same they could do to win other states, moderate.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 05:39:39 PM »

If both parties move to the left, I could see Delaware becoming purple.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »

So it's one of those "moderate Democrat" states like Florida or Pennsylvania?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 05:44:06 PM »

It’s the northern state with the second-highest black population. I don’t know why it being solidly D would be surprising. Ohio would be solidly D if it were 21% black, too.

This is another example of the typical fallacy of only thinking about the white voters in a state.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »

So it's one of those "moderate Democrat" states like Florida or Pennsylvania?

I am not sure if either of those comparisons work, but delaware seems to produce a lot of dems who are somewhat moderate and i believe the corporate taxes there are quite low.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 06:40:01 PM »

It’s the northern state with the second-highest black population. I don’t know why it being solidly D would be surprising. Ohio would be solidly D if it were 21% black, too.

This is another example of the typical fallacy of only thinking about the white voters in a state.

Actually, Trump would have won Ohio if the electorate was 21% black. The electorate is already 14% black.

Also, Mike Castle is an example of a Republican that won statewide in Delaware many times... until he lost the primary to the witch.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 07:02:58 PM »

Actually, Trump would have won Ohio if the electorate was 21% black. The electorate is already 14% black.

Also, Mike Castle is an example of a Republican that won statewide in Delaware many times... until he lost the primary to the witch.

Ohio is only 12% black, and I guarantee you the electorate is closer to 11% black (under-18s are disproportionately black, around 18%, and it's pretty obvious from precinct results that black turnout is slightly lower than white turnout, other than in 2008-2012). Don't care what an exit poll says; they're largely bullsh**t reverse-engineered to match the final results such that the crosstabs are totally valueless.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 07:07:15 PM »

both demographics and elements of interest groups like finance and pharma that have trended more democratic lately. it would be weird if it was republican now
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 07:11:09 PM »

Delaware almost always voted for the winner until 2000. After that it drifted to the left, for the same reason other Northeastern states did: Republican party's increased Southernization which had nothing to do with the brand of moderate Republicanism exercised by people like the DuPonts.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »

Ohio is only 12% black, and I guarantee you the electorate is closer to 11% black (under-18s are disproportionately black, around 18%, and it's pretty obvious from precinct results that black turnout is slightly lower than white turnout, other than in 2008-2012). Don't care what an exit poll says; they're largely bullsh**t reverse-engineered to match the final results such that the crosstabs are totally valueless.

Ah, that makes sense.

However, my point still stands that you can still win a heavily miniority state. Larry Hogan won Maryland by just getting massively high margins among white people (and lower black turnout because of miniorities). Obviously that's an extreme example, but Delaware is a lot less black than Maryland, and moderate Republican Mike Castle was able to easily win Delaware a bunch of times.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 12:04:46 AM »

Black voters got to the point where their block controlled the state.

See Georgia in a few years.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 12:26:33 AM »

Well you sure know who to blame for your problems.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 11:55:36 AM »

Delaware is a tiny state with an outsized influence from an urban center (Wilmington/Philly). Downstate Delaware is just as rural as any other area (and actually was a Tea Party hotbed at the beginning of this decade) but its influence gets swamped because 1/3 of the state is basically a Philly suburb.

If Delaware extended all the way down the DelMarVa I'd bet it'd be a lean-R state.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 12:11:01 PM »

Firm control over New Castle County. You can lose all other (two) counties and still held the state.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 12:32:51 PM »

Take a hike. I didn't say it was a bad thing, pal.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »

Came in here to say this! And it’s so small that that 21% matters a lot especially when you have enough whites voting D along with them.

Like someone else mentioned that will be Georgia soon.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 12:54:30 PM »

You're a Republican. Every time you get frustrated at your party not winning, you blame blacks.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 01:02:19 PM »

You're a Republican. Every time you get frustrated at your party not winning, you blame blacks.
[/quote

1. Where was I frustrated in that post

2. Black people obviously favor Democrats, and the growth of that demographic in that state is why it has become a Safe D state. I'm pointing out demographic change in a thread literally asking why Delaware is solid blue today.

Like I said, take a hike.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »

[/quote

2. Black people obviously favor Democrats, and the growth of that demographic in that state is why it has become a Safe D state. I'm pointing out demographic change in a thread literally asking why Delaware is solid blue today.

So you don't get upset when your side loses?

Louisiana is even more blackity black black black than Delaware. By Atlas standards it should be titanium D.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 01:12:53 PM »

[/quote

Louisiana is even more blackity black black black than Delaware. By Atlas standards it should be titanium D.

Y'know like 3 other people have pointed out demographics in this thread before me, why aren't you getting pissed at them?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 01:16:40 PM »

[/quote

Y'know like 3 other people have pointed out demographics in this thread before me, why aren't you getting pissed at them?

Because they are correctly framing it as one reason of many factors whereas you just said black voters "control" the state. But I'm not a huge fan of their analysis either.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 01:30:14 PM »

[/quote

Because they are correctly framing it as one reason of many factors whereas you just said black voters "control" the state. But I'm not a huge fan of their analysis either.

Well yes, if they weren't there the state would vote Republican. So figuratively the voting bloc controls the state.  Ya know, like how Whites control MS cause they all vote R, or plenty of other states.

I am not insinuating this is a bad thing, or at all that Delaware is a bad state because Black people are bad or something.  Stop assuming things.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 01:53:57 PM »

[/quote

Well yes, if they weren't there the state would vote Republican. So figuratively the voting bloc controls the state.  Ya know, like how Whites control MS cause they all vote R, or plenty of other states.

I am not insinuating this is a bad thing, or at all that Delaware is a bad state because Black people are bad or something.  Stop assuming things.

White voters in Mississippi are a majority. Black voters in Delaware are not. They rely on white voters, so no, they don't control the state. They can't do anything they want with the state. That's what control means.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »

Strangely, Democrats only have a one-seat majority in the State Senate now.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies