Biggest interstate war after 1945
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:03:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Biggest interstate war after 1945
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biggest interstate war after 1945  (Read 1093 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2018, 11:59:26 AM »

After 1945, interstate wars became old fashioned. Due to the nuclear weapons, there are no interstate wars with superpowers in opposite sides anymore. There were/are many civil wars in recent times.

The biggest interstate war after 1945?

The wars between Israel and the arab states were interstate wars, but were very short. There was this kind of war in 1947, 1956, 1967, 1973 and 1982. The war between Israel and the palestinians is long, but it is a civil war, since Palestine is still not a nation-state.
The Korea War and the Vietnam War could be considered a interstate war, since it was between the northern state and the southern state, but those states were very new. Since they were wars koreans vs. koreans and vietnamese vs. vietnamese, we can consider civil wars with foreign intervention.
The Malvinas/Falkland War (1982) was an interstate war, but it was very short.
The Angola War was a civil war with foreign intervention: Cuba in one side, South Africa in the other side.
The Afhganistan War (1979-1988) was a civil war with foreign intervention. The USSR was supporting the Afghan government.
Concerning the Iraq Wars: the war in 1991 was an interstate war, but it was very short. The invasion of 2003 was an interstate war, but it was very short. Only one month, before Saddam Hussein's regime was overthrown. The occupation (2003-2010) was a long civil war with foreign intervention, in which the USA and the Iraqui State were in the same side.
The recent wars in Ukraine and Syria are civil wars with foreign intervention.
The Yugoslavia Wars (1991-1999) were a mix between interstate war and civil war. Serbia was fighting against Bosnia, but the serbs in Bosnia were fighting against the Bosnian government.

I think that the biggest classic interstate war after 1945 was the Iran-Iraq War (1980-1988)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 01:42:28 PM »

Do the Congo Wars count? Plenty of countries fought on both sides of them.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »

The biggest Interstate War I'm aware of was over the route of I-95 in South Carolina. Pedro made certain I-95 was routed a bit more east than originally intended so that an interchange would be placed right where it would give tourists driving down to Florida easy access to the South of the Border tourist trap.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 03:19:35 PM »

Cold War, obviously.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 04:45:23 PM »

Not a war.

Technically, the answer is the Congo war, though a lot of the fighting was internal, so it wasn't 'purely' interstate.

Korea may or may not count depending on your definition of 'interstate'.

If you are a purist on that definition, Iran-Iraq is the obvious answer.
SInNYC

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 09:10:46 AM »

Vietnam: the greatest number of people killed (~4mil), the greatest use of herbicides and napalm (thus chemical if you count them as chemical). I'll change my mind if another war had a great number of people killed as a percent of the population, but I suspect not since Congo, Iran, and Vietnam have approximately the same population.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 10:22:02 AM »

Vietnam: the greatest number of people killed (~4mil), the greatest use of herbicides and napalm (thus chemical if you count them as chemical). I'll change my mind if another war had a great number of people killed as a percent of the population, but I suspect not since Congo, Iran, and Vietnam have approximately the same population.

but that was a civil war, with nations supporting both sides.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 12:05:22 PM »

I thought it was Iran-Iraq
SInNYC

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 08:56:31 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2018, 02:08:30 AM by SInNYC »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I intrepreted the premise of this to count civil wars with external actors as interstate wars. Its anybody's guess how long the war would have lasted without external actors.

I'm not sure if I would pick Congo or Iran-Iraq if we exclude Vietnam. The former had far more deaths, though most were from starvation and disease (and it also had an intra-state component).  The latter was almost purely inter-state but the numbers dont really compare to Vietnam and Congo.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »

Korean because the US and China were both actively fighting.
lordroel
Rookie
Netherlands

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »

I think the biggest war sins 1945 is the war we will hopefully see not happening and that would be the 2nd Korean War, but the the Vietnam war is so far the biggest war after 1945 in my opinion.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies